Best Rock Band Of All Time On Letterman - Led Zeppelin

keemapoot

It's all a matter or opinion.

And in my humble opinion they were THE best rock band by a country mile.

Yeah, and the reason I posted the original video was to inform about their being awarded the eminently prestigious Kennedy Center honors. This is an elite club of those who have contributed to American culture. [The Kennedy Center Honors is an annual honor given to those in the performing arts for their lifetime of contributions to American culture]. One does not expect to find Rock bands as honorees. The few Brits who have won in the past: Paul McCartney, Peter Townsend/Roger Daltry (The Who), Julie Andrews, & Andrew Lloyd Webber. So, this is an elite club, especially for non-Americans, and as you can see, even more so for Rockers, as only the Beatles, The Who and Led Zep are represented.

So, this represents an interesting and important argument to their place in history as the arguably best rock band ever.

http://en.wikipedia....y_Center_Honors

I know its a cheap shot, but i couldn't resist it, but what has being accepted and honoured by the establishment have to do with rock n roll ?

• Like 1

well...I got a problem with southerners...just like they got a problem with us west coast folks...I sorta lump them together with Lynyrd Skynyrd and fake good 'ol boys with a lot of howling and confederate flag waving...

to Johnny Winter: 'ain't it good enough to be a talented albino guitarist without bein' a texan albino guitarist?...'

and I was born in Nashville and even had a texan girlfriend and goddam was she proud of bein' from Texas...she was a smart gal but not smart enough and horribly affected and professed to not like popular music...didn't even know who Johnny Winter was...but we did like a lot of the same books and films...

(cough,splutter...)

Funnily enough most of my American friends are Southerners, its not just West Coat folks they have a problem with, you want to hear what they say about people in Florida.

Being a Yank you know what I am talking about, not allowed to use that sort of language nowadays, the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia have banned it all.

Yeah, and the reason I posted the original video was to inform about their being awarded the eminently prestigious Kennedy Center honors. This is an elite club of those who have contributed to American culture. [The Kennedy Center Honors is an annual honor given to those in the performing arts for their lifetime of contributions to American culture]. One does not expect to find Rock bands as honorees. The few Brits who have won in the past: Paul McCartney, Peter Townsend/Roger Daltry (The Who), Julie Andrews, & Andrew Lloyd Webber. So, this is an elite club, especially for non-Americans, and as you can see, even more so for Rockers, as only the Beatles, The Who and Led Zep are represented.

So, this represents an interesting and important argument to their place in history as the arguably best rock band ever.

I know its a cheap shot, but i couldn't resist it, but what has being accepted and honoured by the establishment have to do with rock n roll ?

a reasonable question...the thing is that most rock performers are just guys in levis and t-sirts with guitars that like to get drunk and rowdy...the people that 'produce' them are businessmen and their accomplishment is recognized when there are international, 'elite' accolades...

all good musicians 'sell out' to one degree or another...

well...I got a problem with southerners...just like they got a problem with us west coast folks...I sorta lump them together with Lynyrd Skynyrd and fake good 'ol boys with a lot of howling and confederate flag waving...

to Johnny Winter: 'ain't it good enough to be a talented albino guitarist without bein' a texan albino guitarist?...'

and I was born in Nashville and even had a texan girlfriend and goddam was she proud of bein' from Texas...she was a smart gal but not smart enough and horribly affected and professed to not like popular music...didn't even know who Johnny Winter was...but we did like a lot of the same books and films...

(cough,splutter...)

Funnily enough most of my American friends are Southerners, its not just West Coat folks they have a problem with, you want to hear what they say about people in Florida.

Being a Yank you know what I am talking about, not allowed to use that sort of language nowadays, the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia have banned it all.

yeah...unfortunately what you say is true and has to do with my never goin' back to one of the most physically beautiful places on the planet...

some years ago a good pal that I was close with said: 'tutsi, it has all changed and you would never fit in here again...and I knew what you were thinkin' when you left, your worst fears have been realised...'

not long after he cut off communication...but I still chat with his wife on the internet every couple of years...

and I don't intend this to be a tale of sadness...that's just the way that it is...

the thing is that most rock performers are just guys in levis and t-sirts with guitars that like to get drunk and rowdy...the people that 'produce' them are businessmen and their accomplishment is recognized when there are international, 'elite' accolades...

There is an interesting example of one of the great guitarists, Chet Atkins, certainly one of the most influential, though not in Rock (but is in Rock n Roll hall of fame), as his genres were country, folk, classical, & western swing (though his best album ever IMO was the late in life duet with Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) [won 3 grammy awards], who was also a very successful record producer and corporate music executive.

So, i guess you could say he "sold out to himself," as he wore two hats, both as music businessman & as musician. Of course, today, many of the top musical acts are also mogul executives (Jay-Z etc.,), but that was rare in those days.

Edited by keemapoot

yeah...I hear what you say about Chet Atkins, he even had a guitar named after him and he was a smart hillbilly but most artists are not of this world and couldn't give a shit...

however, to get back on topic, I read a story about Jimmy Page putting together the band and used all of his resources to get the personnel that he wanted as he had a 'vision' of the sound that he wanted...as he had good credentials from the Yardbirds who were a successful band he just went ahead and did it...

I think of eminem, a white kid in a hoodie and tennis shoes that had some ideas as he approached some 'gangsta' producers who probably said: 'whatchoo lookin' at, white boy???!!!'

that track from '8 mile' got my attention and when I went back to the UK to see my son my ex who I usually fight with about everything said: 'yeah, good music...'

later we talked about Amy Winehouse and I said: 'incredible voice and a solid connection with standard rhythm and blues...' and she screamed: 'she's just good!!!, don't get all pedantic about it...' and then we drank too much and she threw me out of her house and the visit with my son was ruined...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

all good musicians 'sell out' to one degree or another..

To a certain extent I agree, corporate greed, these suits are only interested in shifting units, musical integrity takes a back seat.

Reminds me of Neil Youngs record company trying to sue him for making un Neil Young albums in the early '80s, and yes Old Neil released some dross at the time.

Now he just ploughs his own furrow, still love the video for This Notes For You, what a piss take.

History is full of record companies ripping off artists or trying to dictate to them, cast your mind back to Blind Faith, corporate greed stopped them in their tracks.

Pearl Jam another band they tries to kill off.

I am not a fan of either George Michael or Elton John, but I appreciate the stand they were able to take against the moguls.

Downloading/Copying/The internet is killing music, give me a break, what is killing real music are these shows produced by the like of Simon Cowell, get some pretty boys and release a load of junk.

Frank Zappa summed it up years ago,

yeah...I hear what you say about Chet Atkins, he even had a guitar named after him and he was a smart hillbilly but most artists are not of this world and couldn't give a shit...

Two legendary pickers: one hillbilly & one Rocker - Knopfler & Atkins, and some other famous folks on this one. Mark said Atkins was one of his biggest influences growing up, so he was delighted to have Atkins invite him to these Grammy winning sets.

I may be mistaken but the intro to 'Life during wartime' by the Talking Heads resembles one of Knofler's things...

David Byrne, a scot from Dumbarton transplanted to America copying a geordie that learned his licks from a hillbilly...

sheesh, I just wanna go back to work in saudi desert as things are quiet there except for the plaintive call to prayer...however, I have a USB stick with the Eroica Symphony and the rousing final movement; and then there is the open desert highway and endless possibilities with a 3.5 litre SUV and my hand trembles...

then, later there are filipino inspectors from the site with arms folded standing by the side of the road looking at an overturned and destroyed vehicle and muttering: 'it's mr tutsi, the owners turbine engineer...as if we didn't have enough delays on this job...'

all good musicians 'sell out' to one degree or another..

To a certain extent I agree, corporate greed, these suits are only interested in shifting units, musical integrity takes a back seat.

Reminds me of Neil Youngs record company trying to sue him for making un Neil Young albums in the early '80s, and yes Old Neil released some dross at the time.

Now he just ploughs his own furrow, still love the video for This Notes For You, what a piss take.

History is full of record companies ripping off artists or trying to dictate to them, cast your mind back to Blind Faith, corporate greed stopped them in their tracks.

Pearl Jam another band they tries to kill off.

I am not a fan of either George Michael or Elton John, but I appreciate the stand they were able to take against the moguls.

Downloading/Copying/The internet is killing music, give me a break, what is killing real music are these shows produced by the like of Simon Cowell, get some pretty boys and release a load of junk.

Frank Zappa summed it up years ago,

i just finished watching "one flew over the cuckoo's nest' which is one of the greatest film accomplishments of all time and then when the credits came up there was Saul Zaentz and Fantasy Films...the same guy that hassled with Creedence Clearwater and legally forbade John Fogarty from publicly performing any of their hits for years and years...

what a weirdo: 'hey, Saul, you have a hit film and a hit band and so much money that anyone could not think of what to do with...so why do you mess with the fans when they just wanna listen to Proud Mary from it's creator?'

and he coughs and rearranges his tie and sez: 'it's not good business...'

a reasonable question...the thing is that most rock performers are just guys in levis and t-sirts with guitars that like to get drunk and rowdy...the people that 'produce' them are businessmen and their accomplishment is recognized when there are international, 'elite' accolades...

t.w. like most people i really enjoy your ramblin autobiographical replies.Sometimes with a point other times not,but always saying something.However your reply this time sounds a tad too serious,like the answer one of those guys in a suit would give.The only answer to the question "what does being accepted and honoured by the establishment have to do with rock n roll" is nothing .

't.w. like most people i really enjoy your ramblin autobiographical replies.Sometimes with a point other times not,but always saying something.However your reply this time sounds a tad too serious,like the answer one of those guys in a suit would give.The only answer to the question "what does being accepted and honoured by the establishment have to do with rock n roll" is nothing . '

we basically don't disagree...

btw, I like yer moniker:

recently I was singin' and shakin' about in my underwear and the little niece was watching with an aspect of serious consideration...

she decided that I wasn't crazy afterall and joined in with the singin' an' shakin' and lawd today she has got the moves...

the wife was also watching with arms folded and the usual 'bad influence' issues...and it was her decision to adopt the little girl in the first place...

the little niece comes home from school and finds me asleep upstairs and then tucks the blanket around my shoulders and sez: 'are you OK uncle tutsi?...'

and then the wife sez: 'it don't impress me none as you manage to seduce everyone that you come in contact with...she's just a little girl fer fcuks sake...'

but, the little girl's trust and affection gives me legitimacy...and people hate that...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

whistling.gif Saying the "best" rock band ever is picking one you happen to like from the elite crew and ignoring the rest.

But for me, as an American, I have to put in at least a word for the Allman Brothers band.

rolleyes.gif

I agree they would be among the finalists. Their Live at Fillmore East Album was one of my favorites of all-time, rated 49 on Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums of all time. Two of the best guitarists ever in one band.

whistling.gif Saying the "best" rock band ever is picking one you happen to like from the elite crew and ignoring the rest.

But for me, as an American, I have to put in at least a word for the Allman Brothers band.

rolleyes.gif

Well I am just a dumb limey as our American friends call us, The Allmans are up there with the best of them,

check this out, absolutely amazing, DB & WH on fire tearing up this classic.

what I dislike about 'mah fellow americans' in the entertainment business is that they wear a lot of denim clothing...and the lead guitar in my band scratched up the back of his Silvertone Gibson double cutaway replica with the right hip rivet on his levis...

his mum said: 'tutsi, you're a good lad, please sort him out...' and then I picked up a mouth harp and launched into 'baby please don't go' and then we burned the place down and we were only 14 years old...

and we had to wear levis and t-shirts as that's all that our folks could afford...I always wore boots as the tennis shoes showed up our rock and roll confidence...

and then the high school bullies would sneer: 'yew think them boots make you bad?...' and then I said: 'I can play guitar better than you and that's all that matters...'

and then, the girlfriend of the most badass gangsta in school started to pay attention to me...I had seen her moves with him on the dance floor and was besotted...and she said:'you rock, tutsi' but she was full grown at 16 y.o. and I was just a punk...

I was bigger than her boyfriend but I was afraid as, if I put him down then one of his associates would get my ass later...his girl friend then snubbed out her smoke and adjusted her bouffant mexican hairdo and walked away and said said: 'pussy...'

god, she had beautiful legs...

Edited by tutsiwarrior