The Queue Starts Here Please?

jonnyscot

Many times I have been in a store queue, the staff have looked at me with reluctant faces and tried to avoid serving me in the hope I will turn around and go away.

This is not because of prejudice against farangs or blatant impoliteness. In most cases the reason is because the staff assume that the farang cannot speak Thai, which makes them apprehensive and they simply don`t know how to deal with it.

When this happens to me, I usually smile; say out aloud a few words in Thai to them, which gives the staff more confidence in serving me. Works every time and never have any problems.

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you there beetlejuice, especially when there are other people waiting and watching how the staff member will deal with the farang in the queue, a possible explanation why it's probably more easy for the staff member to serve the local queue jumper, in addition to I think someone else mentioned about the non confrontational part,

ok so that excuses the staff members for serving these queue jumpers, but the queue jumpers,,, I guess we'll still just have to ignore them or abuse them,

Sounds like another personal problem to me ...... Thai people generally seem to want to bring me to the front of the line out of respect

People like you are treated poorly for a reason, people like me are not for a reason , up to you to figure out why you are slighted and others are not.

I agree with others here that China and India are far worse than anywhere. Most often I just step aside if I have more stuff to buy than the person behind me. I've got all the time in the world. There are queue jumpers everywhere and I run into them on the ski hills of Canada. When some young hotdog bolts to the head of the line I make a point of going up to them a place my skiis on top of theirs. but that is now difficult because most of the young crowd are now on boards.

Last week I was at Mo-Chit, having just arrived from up country. I was standing in the queue for the taxis, with the front of the queue to the left. The taxis have to be diverted from the road into the multiple taxi ranks by whistling baton wavers so every one is forced to wait a bit in the blazing sun. These same baton wavers are also periodically yelling "board taxis to the left, board taxis to the left".

snip..

The brass neck of some people.

Haha, you have a knack for writing. A very mundane daily occurence turned into a drama of a damsel in distress and Isaan scoundrels!

• Like 1

Unsure who you're referring to with the "personal" problem, since there appear to be quite a few who have encountered this,, wonder what quality you possess that brings you to the front of the queue ? Maybe the rest of us are too polite and happy to wait until our turn arrives??

quote 'MrRealDeal'

Sounds like another personal problem to me ...... Thai people generally seem to want to bring me to the front of the line out of respect

People like you are treated poorly for a reason, people like me are not for a reason , up to you to figure out why you are slighted and others are not.

I agree with others here that China and India are far worse than anywhere. Most often I just step aside if I have more stuff to buy than the person behind me. I've got all the time in the world. There are queue jumpers everywhere and I run into them on the ski hills of Canada. When some young hotdog bolts to the head of the line I make a point of going up to them a place my skiis on top of theirs. but that is now difficult because most of the young crowd are now on boards.

and you are how old ? LOL

38 and almost a cougar.

38 and almost a cougar.

That's not fair I am 38 and almost a dirty old man :(

38 and almost a cougar.

That's not fair I am 38 and almost a dirty old man sad.png

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Father time catches up to all of us.

• Like 1