Health Insurance

LoveDaBlues

70,000 should cover most basic surgeries but long complicated surgeries like a multiple bypass may cost a bit more.

Perhaps a big bit more. Our neighbor had a heart attack last week and quad bypass at Bangkok Hospital. The operation fee, according to his wife, was 600,000 baht. Have no idea what the total bill will be.

70,000 should cover most basic surgeries but long complicated surgeries like a multiple bypass may cost a bit more.

Perhaps a big bit more. Our neighbor had a heart attack last week and quad bypass at Bangkok Hospital. The operation fee, according to his wife, was 600,000 baht. Have no idea what the total bill will be.

BUPA 'diamond' plan pays 70,000 baht surgical fee......LOL peanuts. I'm not impressed at all with BUPA. They also have too many 'exclusions' IMO. The search continues.........

At least I've decided 'self insured' not the way to go.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

Should have included my email in the previous post, sorry. It is [email protected]

Still waiting on that .pdf file if anyone can help.

LDB - I just e-mailed it to you.

Edit: Oops - just spotted that you seem to have got hold of it already. As we seem to be looking for the same thing for much the same reasons, I'd appreciate it if you could update on your search progress - as I will.

Edited by Steve2UK

After a lot of searching I think I've found the best health insurance (for me). My goal is to keep premium low thru paying a high deductible yet have good coverage in case of a 'major' accident/illness. I believe the plan (which I have attached) meets those goals for me.

My premium will be $677 with a deductible of $2,500. I'm 49.

All comments negative/positive/whatever with regards to this insurance are welcome.

BTW, their URL is listed in the attachment and they offer different plans.

As Anon999 said if anyone finds a plan they like please post.

:o

MultinationalEconomyBrochure2005.pdf

Steve, this is still the best plan I've found for me.

edit: don't know why the attachment doesn't show in this post......anyway see former post

Edited by LoveDaBlues

I am using Expacare(http://www.apipacific.com) - their website is ######-ugly but the product is excellent.

I have done extensive research since I travel a lot to the US and many part of Asia (Bali, BKK, HKG, M'sia)

Their deductable is zero(they have some deductibles, but I advised against it - not worth it for 5% discount of the zero deductibles) and they cover most of procedures, almost the same with goodhealth but most procedures have NO CAPS. Most of the time patients have to pay first and then re-imburse, unless you called in advance for big operations. But they have worked out an agreement with Bumrungrad Hospital that when you go there and show your card, you don't have to pay out of pocket. The customer service speak perfect English also. It's great!

Most of the insurance provider for Expat requires you to pay first and then file for reimbursement, It takes about 3-6 weeks for reimbursement, they paid directly to your bank account.

I find their service most satisfactory - I have been with them for 3 years for now. It's great, I recommend it to everyone.

Prevention is the best medicine. :o

rb3

I am using Expacare(http://www.apipacific.com) - their website is ######-ugly but the product is excellent.

I have done extensive research since I travel a lot to the US and many part of Asia (Bali, BKK, HKG, M'sia)

Their deductable is zero(they have some deductibles, but I advised against it - not worth it for 5% discount of the zero deductibles) and they cover most of procedures, almost the same with goodhealth but most procedures have NO CAPS. Most of the time patients have to pay first and then re-imburse, unless you called in advance for big operations. But they have worked out an agreement with Bumrungrad Hospital that when you go there and show your card, you don't have to pay out of pocket. The customer service speak perfect English also. It's great!

Most of the insurance provider for Expat requires you to pay first and then file for reimbursement, It takes about 3-6 weeks for reimbursement, they paid directly to your bank account.

I find their service most satisfactory - I have been with them for 3 years for now. It's great, I recommend it to everyone.

rb3

I've checked the Expacare premiums and nearly had a heart attack reading them! Very expensive for similar cover to what I've been quoted. However, UK based insurers seem to have high premiums. What's new there?

I'm re-posting here a question that arose in a general "Cost of living" thread - hoping that it'll get more specific attention.

Being 55, a single male and not looking for family cover puts me in the category where I can seriously consider opting for self-insurance - i.e. maintain a reserve to deal with the more likely general medical treatment I can reasonably expect to need. Obviously, I recognise that dealing with a very complex or catastrophic condition is a very different matter.

So far, my assumption has tended to be that I would get myself back to the UK and be able to use the state NHS (free) healthcare scheme for anything that major (for sure - not that simple in the event of a sudden, urgent emergency). In any case, it's looking more and more like I may be excluded from the NHS system after I am not resident in the UK for x number of years.

I'm interested to know if health insurance could be available to me in Thailand that would exclude the generally minor stuff which I would "cover" myself and would therefore be restricted to the major "catastrophic" (hopefully much less likely) stuff. Just about all of what I see when I research ways of limiting the premium cost seems to be structured around limiting the cover to minor treatments rather than excluding them. What I'm looking for is the opposite of that.

Does anyone know of schemes that can be tailor-made in this way and maybe which would exclude a pre-existing condition but, for example, still provide cover for treating severe injury or some serious new condition unrelated to a pre-existing one? I know that the premium can be reduced by accepting a very large excess but, taking the GoodHealth example, even accepting a $5,000 excess doesn't make much of a dent in the premium for cover that includes a chronic condition - yet the advertised cover still includes a lot of minor stuff that I don't want to cover and quite a few items that I don't need to cover (e.g. pregnancy!).

I'm in a similar boat to you and I'm getting quotes now with wildly differening premiums. There are definitely insurers that will provide tailored plans. However, you may find this list of interest which Bumrungrad International sent today.

post-12753-1140889684_thumb.jpg

Their email is: [email protected]

If you check my previous post it's worth contacting the 2 BKK based brokers.

I've checked the Expacare premiums and nearly had a heart attack reading them! Very expensive for similar cover to what I've been quoted. However, UK based insurers seem to have high premiums. What's new there?

The maximum caps on their plan is much higher to almost unlimited on most of their benefits!! I am very paranoid about my health and just want to make sure that there are the right cover when i needed them most. Also travelling to part of Asia that has travel warning and other threat makes me feel very vulnerable, hence medical evacuation is a definate YES chosing this company. Eventhough I have to pay out of own pocket first, the reimbursement is always 100% so just treat it like depositing some money with them first. What are you comparing it with?? Maybe I should take another closer look at other plans... Thanks

rb3

So really we still have no agreement on where to go for insurance? I've another question, how do they handle dual-citizenship (USA+Thai)? Do I have a different set of options? Pardon if I'm a bit clueless re: health insurance, I'm in my mid-20's but need insurance nevertheless, just in case. And how do they know if you're a smoker or not, besides smelling it off your breath and clothes?

So really we still have no agreement on where to go for insurance? I've another question, how do they handle dual-citizenship (USA+Thai)? Do I have a different set of options? Pardon if I'm a bit clueless re: health insurance, I'm in my mid-20's but need insurance nevertheless, just in case. And how do they know if you're a smoker or not, besides smelling it off your breath and clothes?

If you have an accident then it's likely you will have the smokers gear in your pockets and maybe nicotine stained fingers too. Should the insurers find out then they'll probably say it invalidates your cover and refuse to pay out.

The maximum caps on their plan is much higher to almost unlimited on most of their benefits!! I am very paranoid about my health and just want to make sure that there are the right cover when i needed them most. Also travelling to part of Asia that has travel warning and other threat makes me feel very vulnerable, hence medical evacuation is a definate YES chosing this company. Eventhough I have to pay out of own pocket first, the reimbursement is always 100% so just treat it like depositing some money with them first. What are you comparing it with?? Maybe I should take another closer look at other plans... Thanks

rb3

Try comparing the benefits with http://www.premier-healthcare.org/ and then getting a quote. You can ask [email protected] they are brokers based in BKK so add 0.4% to the figures for tax plus 7% VAT. For me the premiums are well over double at Expacare. However, my quotes do not include cover for North America as it is not required. I'll be interested to see your response. Thanks.

Edited by Anon999

First of all there will never be an agreement on where to go for insurance. Mostly because we're all in a different boat with regards to age, past medical history, family members, etc. Also some folks want no/low deductible (higher premiums) and some want a fairly large deductible (lower premiums).

AND......some may need world-wide coverage and others only for a certain country. Beginning to get the picture?

As far as your citizenship I doubt the insurance companies will care. If you are a smoker do not lie about it. Every health policy has a clause which negates coverage if you have knowingly lied on any of the application questions. A simple chest x-ray would reveal smoking.

At your age I would go the 'high deductible' lower premium route. Even if you don't have enough cash to pay the higher deductible in case of a catastropic accident/illness you could just put it on a credit card. Although there are always exceptions most medical problems tend to occur as one gets older.....hence the higher premiums.

If you intend to live in Thailand permanently then make sure you get a policy that gives 'Lifetime Cover' many stop at 80 or even earlier.

I have also found that generally having outpatient cover doubles the premium and you also get coverage for unwanted items like maternity. For a male or anyone over 50 that is an extra which you are paying for other members benefit.

Edited by Anon999

I am nearly 60 and have had private health insurance for 20 years.

Over that time I reckon I have just about broken even, with various

"repair" type operations, hernia, varicose veins etc.

As I get older I consider the need for insurance to be greater with risks

like heart attack and cancer becoming more likely.

The important point, IME, is not to break the thread once you start, or you find some areas being excluded as "pre-existing conditions".

Can any forum members advise me if a basic medical insurance policy is available for persons aged 65 and over. ie. hospitalisation only in the event of an accident etc. For non urgent requirements I can return to my own country. I am looking at a 25-30000THB figure.

One thing you have to be careful about is the payment method if you need treatment. It needs to be a Direct Payment plan, unless you want to wait to get reimbursed after you have finished paying what could be a lot a fees.

I'm also getting a qoute from the Pacific Prime Int'l people but not with a $2,500 excess. Will post the outcome.

The following 2 brokers in BBK have been recommended to me by Bangkok International Hospital. I'm trying them too.

1) Jerome Kelly (Lawton Asia) at [email protected]

2) Stephen Boush (TieCare) at [email protected]

Best of luck, maybe we will all end up will different insurers due to individual circumstances and needs.

In the effort of full disclosure and non-advertisement (I am actually Stephen Boush as listed above). The key with the expat insurance options is to find one that is a managing general underwriter. What this status allows is for there to be a lot of flexibility to the coverage you are after. These types of firms allow for high levels of options and creativity.

If you want a 1000 excess and coverage only in Thailand for catastrophic care, so be it. Insurance is all about risk. The more you reduce your potential risk to the insurance company, the more your premiums should be decreased. If you add coverage in Thailand AND the UK then the premium goes up. etc.

Look for a company that can tailor the program to what you need specifically, this is what an MGU (managing general underwriter) should be able to do for you.

Just some thoughts....

Edited by kwapdok

Can any forum members advise me if a basic medical insurance policy is available for persons aged 65 and over. ie. hospitalisation only in the event of an accident etc. For non urgent requirements I can return to my own country. I am looking at a 25-30000THB figure.

Please read my Post 42, Steve can probably fix you up.

One thing you have to be careful about is the payment method if you need treatment. It needs to be a Direct Payment plan, unless you want to wait to get reimbursed after you have finished paying what could be a lot a fees.

I'm also getting a qoute from the Pacific Prime Int'l people but not with a $2,500 excess. Will post the outcome.

The following 2 brokers in BBK have been recommended to me by Bangkok International Hospital. I'm trying them too.

1) Jerome Kelly (Lawton Asia) at [email protected]

2) Stephen Boush (TieCare) at [email protected]

Best of luck, maybe we will all end up will different insurers due to individual circumstances and needs.

In the effort of full disclosure and non-advertisement (I am actually Stephen Boush as listed above). The key with the expat insurance options is to find one that is a managing general underwriter. What this status allows is for there to be a lot of flexibility to the coverage you are after. These types of firms allow for high levels of options and creativity.

If you want a 1000 excess and coverage only in Thailand for catastrophic care, so be it. Insurance is all about risk. The more you reduce your potential risk to the insurance company, the more your premiums should be decreased. If you add coverage in Thailand AND the UK then the premium goes up. etc.

Look for a company that can tailor the program to what you need specifically, this is what an MGU (managing general underwriter) should be able to do for you.

Just some thoughts....

Pleased to see you are on this Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

it seems that there are many different needs here and this thread has been very informative, i would like to add something to this topic which i haven't seen yet, i take blood pressure medication and have been for twelve years, what do some of you do about your medications that you took before moving to thailand.

if someone knows of a ploicy that will cover your existing medications please reply

jasper

• 2 weeks later...

it seems that there are many different needs here and this thread has been very informative, i would like to add something to this topic which i haven't seen yet, i take blood pressure medication and have been for twelve years, what do some of you do about your medications that you took before moving to thailand.

if someone knows of a ploicy that will cover your existing medications please reply

jasper

I know of many that will cover after a waiting period but none that cover from day one specifically.

As a pre-existing condition of sorts most policies have such a waiting period; some longer than others and some don't cover at all. Sorry couldn't provide a more specific solution for you but if you choose a good policy and can cover the medication yourself for the waiting period, you should be all set.

After meeting with a couple of health/life insurance companies I'm beginning to wonder if the best path is to stay self insured. Admittedly I'm just in the beginning stages of my research but perhaps some smart person out there has looked into Hospital costs, cost of surgeries, etc., etc. and drawn some conclusions. I'm 49, never smoked, drink very little, perfect blood pressure, general good health.

Health insurance in the states is a must because of the high cost involved with nearly any illness, surgery, etc. ........... but here? :o

I have a friend living in Thailand who decided skip the insurance and instead set aside $20,000 in an interest bearing account to take care of any medical emergencies he might have.

He figures that medical is so much cheaper in Thailand that he can just self insure himself.

And it is true. My mother-in-law went into the hospital when her kidneys started to fail and was in intensive care for a week. She got great care and recovered quite nicely...at least for now. Anyway, when the family got the bill it came to 130,000 baht...$3250!!! That's a lot for the average Thai family but for us....That's about how much it would cost for just one day in intensive care in a US hospital.

rb3

Their website looks like it was done by a child. Are you sure they are a legitimate insurance company. A professional company wouldn't put up a website like that. Have you ever tried to file a major claim. They look a little spooky to me.

Their website looks like it was done by a child. Are you sure they are a legitimate insurance company. A professional company wouldn't put up a website like that. Have you ever tried to file a major claim. They look a little spooky to me.

My old company used them, we have about 20+ expats families policies. One of them reimbursed up to USD$90,000 annually and so far no complains. My reimbursement so far doesnt total up to $500, but it went smoothly. Like I said.. they are established, but website could definately needs an update - Looks can be deceiving... :o

After meeting with a couple of health/life insurance companies I'm beginning to wonder if the best path is to stay self insured. Admittedly I'm just in the beginning stages of my research but perhaps some smart person out there has looked into Hospital costs, cost of surgeries, etc., etc. and drawn some conclusions. I'm 49, never smoked, drink very little, perfect blood pressure, general good health.

Health insurance in the states is a must because of the high cost involved with nearly any illness, surgery, etc. ........... but here? :D

Health insurance is like any other insurance not much good until you need it.I don't care how healthy you think you are,you never know.How about if your in an accident?You won't collect from the other party,motorbike or old car hits you. :D:o:D

http://www.bupathailand.com/personal.asp

Can anyone get the .pdf file to download which appears on the page above? The link is 'table of benefits' and appears in red about 2/3 of the way down on the right.

Hi people, I have just joined and am seriously thinking of retiring in Thailand. I started with the medical insurance and got the above mentioned pdf, BUT one of the exclusions is "Bacterial infection" that seems a strange thing to NOT cover.

Anyone have an explanation on that exclusion?

Thanks

Dave