Sukhumvit Traffic Lights

Guderian

I've noticed that traffic using the far left-hand lane of Sukhumvit usually ignores red traffic lights and vehicles simply drive straight on. This isn’t about turning left at the red lights, this is cars and trucks just ignoring the red light and continuing merrily along their way down Sukhumvit. Traffic in the other lanes all stops at the red lights. Is this the way that things are supposed to work? There is often a solid white line painted on the offside of the left-hand-most lane, does that indicate that you can ignore the lights if you're going straight ahead? Or is this just another odd Pattaya traffic custom?

I do believe it is not just a Pattaya thing. I used to live in Sisaket and noticed this too, I asked my GF, at the time, about it. She said "you can do it but, only if it is a "T" junction and you are indeed within the white line".

I have not had this confirmed by anyone legal though, so not really sure.

That makes some sense, thanks. One place I was thinking of is when you turn left from Thepprasit into Sukhumvit and immediately hit the lights at Soi Kao Talo. Everyone in the left lane just ignores the red lights and drives straight on, but that is indeed a T-junction.

Yes, it seems to be legal, but the end result is, that two hundred meters before the lights, everyone is jockeying for position, and trying to get in the left lane. Also, the motor bikes that have got the green light, from central, are trying to get to the left lane, so many cars and bikes, all trying for the same single lane, crazy!

It is a bit crazy. You have the same situation when you turn right out of Thepprasit onto Sukhumvit. You have the green light so you would think that you have right of way, but you often see cars, trucks and buses heading south plough straight through the red light in spite of all the traffic from Thepprasit coming straight at them. (This is another T-junction, of course!) So who's actually got the right of way here, the traffic coming from Thepprasit through the green lights or the traffic speeding down Suk and going though a red light???

I'm not sure at the Theprasit junction, but at the Central Pattaya road junction it is clearly marked that it is allowed.

At the North Pattaya junction, which also is a T-junction, it is clearly marked that it is not allowed ("Stop here at red" sign on the left side of the road). Likely because many vehicles coming from North Pattaya immediately want to go to the left lane to be able to enter the Bangkok bound highway...

It is not just a Thai driving quirk. There is a sigin in Thai at these junctions which states that traffic may proceed in the far left lane at all times. If you could read Thai you would know this.

I am referring to the red lights at the junctions with soi Kow talow and Soi siam cc.

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1

It is not just a Thai driving quirk. There is a sigin in Thai at these junctions which states that traffic may proceed in the far left lane at all times. If you could read Thai you would know this.

I am referring to the red lights at the junctions with soi Kow talow and Soi siam cc.

Yes, but what if he doesn't? OP asked a fair question definitely not in need of a Mobi put down

Yes, but what if he doesn't? OP asked a fair question definitely not in need of a Mobi put down

The point I was trying to make is that there many traffic signs that are only in Thai, so if you observe the traffic behaving in the manner as described, then the chances are that there is a sign somewhere which permits such behaviour.

Apologies if my comments was taken as a put down - it wasn't intended as such, but merely as a suggestion that next time something strikes you as odd, ask someone who reads Thai to translate the signs.

That makes some sense, thanks. One place I was thinking of is when you turn left from Thepprasit into Sukhumvit and immediately hit the lights at Soi Kao Talo. Everyone in the left lane just ignores the red lights and drives straight on, but that is indeed a T-junction.

I'm not sure if pedestrians who want to cross sukhumvith at those sections agree with you that it makes sense.

The strange thing is that the junction at Soi Khao Talo isn't a T junction, yet the traffic is indeed allowed to proceed.

Edited by jbrain

I'm not sure if pedestrians who want to cross sukhumvith at those sections agree with you that it makes sense.

The strange thing is that the junction at Soi Khao Talo isn't a T junction, yet the traffic is indeed allowed to proceed.

Yes, on the side opposite Soi Khao Talo, because heading into Pattaya on that side it is a T junction.

There was a thread about signs at left-turns in Pattaya a while back that was very helpful in clarifying what on earth the signs with "Left Turn Waiting Traffic Light" actually mean. It was clear that many of us were pretty ambiguous on this, and I hope this topic might do the same for the Sukhumvit straight-on/never-mind-the-red-light thing. Do they cover this when you take a test to get a driver's license here?

A photo would be very helpful, thanks, mobi.

Yes, on the side opposite Soi Khao Talo, because heading into Pattaya on that side it is a T junction.

It's not a T junction, there is a soi that goes to the Blue condo ( or something named like that) and the place where the police stores the cars they tow away.

It is not a 100 % cross section as the soi opposite Khao Talo is about 5 meters to the left side.

It is a bit crazy. You have the same situation when you turn right out of Thepprasit onto Sukhumvit. You have the green light so you would think that you have right of way, but you often see cars, trucks and buses heading south plough straight through the red light in spite of all the traffic from Thepprasit coming straight at them. (This is another T-junction, of course!) So who's actually got the right of way here, the traffic coming from Thepprasit through the green lights or the traffic speeding down Suk and going though a red light???

There is a sign in Thai and English that allows to go on the leftmost lane when the light is red. Further down the road at the Watboon branch, there is none. Everybody stops at red but a few bikes. You have the right of way, but no point to insist upon it against a truck. Take the turn tight, and you still have two lanes to choose from on Sukhumvit.

What put down? Didn't see one.

Moby is not a put down person.

left lane through happens all over thailand.

I am sure the photo of the sign will appear soon. There is one heading north up sukhumvit past Bangkok Pattaya hospital that is marked but is only accessible for certain hours in the day. So there are 2 signs at that intersection. 1 saying left lane through and the one below it saying for what times of the day.

THere are a couple of handy ones down highway 36 heading to Rayong, the only kicker is that those that know that it exists jostle for position and then the ones stuck at the lights decide that they would like a piece of the action, I have seen a shocking accident there when a car was going using the left lane through at about 80km an hour and someone stuck at the lights pulled out into the side of the car going through. Ugly.

JBrain

If you look at The junction with Soi Khao Talo it is a T junction. The traffic lights denote this. The small soi you mention has no traffic lights whatsoever. It also has no direct access to Suk heading from Pattaya itself nor does it have direct access to Khao Talo. Therefore the rule the OP mentions applies.

Where 4 lane junctions with traffic lights occur on all 4 lanes the rule is negated.

Funny but I don't remember being asked to read thai script traffic signs in order to get my license here.

Funny but I don't remember being asked to read thai script traffic signs in order to get my license here.

I suggest that you take it up with the relevant government department.

Maybe they will decide that people who can't read Thai cannot be issued with driving licences.

Personally, I am forever grateful at the extent of English road signs throughout Thailand - even in distant rural areas. It wasn't always so.

• Like 1

JBrain

If you look at The junction with Soi Khao Talo it is a T junction. The traffic lights denote this. The small soi you mention has no traffic lights whatsoever. It also has no direct access to Suk heading from Pattaya itself nor does it have direct access to Khao Talo. Therefore the rule the OP mentions applies.

Where 4 lane junctions with traffic lights occur on all 4 lanes the rule is negated.

But the sign at the lights says "Turn Left Straight Through" which to me says you can go through the lights if you are turning left down the soi to Blue Condo, not at any other time.

The point I was trying to make is that there many traffic signs that are only in Thai, so if you observe the traffic behaving in the manner as described, then the chances are that there is a sign somewhere which permits such behaviour.

Apologies if my comments was taken as a put down - it wasn't intended as such, but merely as a suggestion that next time something strikes you as odd, ask someone who reads Thai to translate the signs.

So next time I see some motocy heading the wrong way down the dual carriageway, or 1 way street I can assume that there is a sign that permits it and follow them tongue.png

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Maybe they will decide that people who can't read Thai cannot be issued with driving licences.

Personally, I am forever grateful at the extent of English road signs throughout Thailand - even in distant rural areas. It wasn't always so.

You have a good point there Mobi , however I recall where I come from the traffic signs are constructed in a way that anyone regardless of which nationality is able to understand them.
  • Like 1

There are a couple of T junctions on Sukhumvit Rd towards Ban Chang that allow you to drive thru on the left . Also i remember upsetting a cab driver at the intersection on Sukhumvit Rd and the intersection of Rama 4 in BKK being in the left lane and not going thru the red light. There were a gagle of BIB across the intersection pulling up a lot of people and i did not want to be one. The poor old taxi driver ended up going a purple shade of brown he was blowing the horn and screaming at me so much . There were no signs there and my gf is a non driver so she didn't know what i should have done. Every time i go past that intersection , and that is regularly , i wonder what i should have done.

Typically, traffic signs are given without the use of any language and using pictures/symbols. Throughout the world when I have tested for my foreign DL I have been tested on these symbols. This way driving is not reliant on knowing how to read. I know thais that can't read as well yet still drive. That's why in mist counties traffic symbols are used. Even Thailand uses these symbols and they are what is on the test.

P4.gif

Here is a bunch more for anyone interested

http://www.huahinexpat.com/thai-traffic-signs.htm

Edited by Jayman