Cambodia To Face Mass Return Of Nationals Working In Thailand

webfact

Cambodia to face mass return of nationals working in Thailand

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Dec 7 – Thai and Cambodian labour officials will facilitate the re-employment in Thailand of more than 160,000 Cambodian workers who will possibly be deported to their home country after the nationality verification process ends next Friday, a senior Thai official said today.

The process involves 222,430 Cambodian workers of which only 56,776 have had their nationality verified (between March and November this year) while the remaining 165,654 have yet to complete the required formality.

Prawit Kiengpol, director general of the Thai Employment Department, said the nationality verification process would not be completed by the Friday deadline and unverified Cambodians will be sent back.

He urged Seng Sakda, director general of the Cambodian Labour and Occupational Training Department, to be prepared for a mass exodus of Khmer workers, saying Cambodian officials may have to issue travel documents for those wishing to cross the border into Thailand to work on daily or seasonal basis.

Thai and Cambodian labour officials discussed the matter in a joint meeting today to cope with the return of Cambodian workers after the nationality verification.

Mr Seng urged Thai authorities to speed up the re-employment of Cambodian workers given Thailand’s continued need for foreign labour. He said that Cambodian authorities will urgently issue travel documents or passports to their citizens wanting to work in Thailand on whichever basis.

Mr Prawit called on Thai entrepreneurs who hire foreign workers to inform the Labour Ministry of their required re-employment of Cambodian workers to prevent labour shortage. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-07

Sure...the govt is going to deport 160,000 Cambodians next Friday. They know were everyone is living, have bus tickets prepared, and everyone will willingly leave. Sure. Sounds like it's time for another extension of the verification program.

• Like 2

I think it's going to be interesting after few years when both Burma and Cambodia are becoming better places to live. At least some of these nationalities are willing to go back to their home countries, instead of living here.

At that time Thailand might need to do changes to attract foreign workers here for manual labor.

Yes - like treating their foreign workers with less disdain! My wifes family didn't have two pots to pi$$ in in rural Isaan, but I have twigged over the years that they turn their noses up like there's a bad smell whenever the subject of Cambodians comes up.

Not one of Thialand's more attractive cultural traits. Not surprising that Cambodians don't like Thais and regard them as a bit to high and mighty

• Like 1

Yes - like treating their foreign workers with less disdain! My wifes family didn't have two pots to pi$$ in in rural Isaan, but I have twigged over the years that they turn their noses up like there's a bad smell whenever the subject of Cambodians comes up.

Not one of Thialand's more attractive cultural traits. Not surprising that Cambodians don't like Thais and regard them as a bit to high and mighty

Thank god for cambodia. The people in Isaan have someone to look down on.

Tooooo funny. Cuz they are right on the top in Thailand.

• Like 1

I think it's going to be interesting after few years when both Burma and Cambodia are becoming better places to live. At least some of these nationalities are willing to go back to their home countries, instead of living here.

At that time Thailand might need to do changes to attract foreign workers here for manual labor.

After a few years, you are kidding right. I have been coming here since 1970 Thailand is so far ahead of everyone else there is no catching up, especially with the governments they have, Then again with Taksin jocking Thailand could go down fast

Exactly....it'll be sort of odd at first to walk into a bar in Phnom Pehn only to find Thai birds working there.

• Like 1

Not very reassuring, that 300 baht a day is that much of a attraction though, is it?

• Like 1

All part of the systematic brain-washing education in Thailand.

Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever known a country to be so full of its own self importance. <deleted>.....

Yes the mother of my child certainly holds her degree from the local degree mill up as some kind of superiority to the rest of the human race.

If only they realised they're only doing well because the globalists in the west are intent on destruction of the working classes in their own nations.

• Like 1

After a few years, you are kidding right. I have been coming here since 1970 Thailand is so far ahead of everyone else there is no catching up, especially with the governments they have, Then again with Taksin jocking Thailand could go down fast

Realy? since 1970? so im guessing your an old un as we say in England. To old to see the changes. Burma and Cambodia are getting far more attention from tourists these days than the sad, tired, rip off thailand. I have lived here for 14 years (not as long as you) but i prefer to spend my time in Laos/Cambodia/Burma than in thailand

• Like 2

Realy? since 1970? so im guessing your an old un as we say in England. To old to see the changes. Burma and Cambodia are getting far more attention from tourists these days than the sad, tired, rip off thailand. I have lived here for 14 years (not as long as you) but i prefer to spend my time in Laos/Cambodia/Burma than in thailand

Getting more tourists than before - yes, but increases in Lao and Camby are no more than in Thailand I would guess. Love both Laos and Cambodia but to deny that Thailand is still not light years ahead of both in development is bonkers as we say in England. When they have developed a bit more they will get the rip-offs don't you worry! [and while we are on that subject, Cambodian immigration is a disgrace at some border crossings].

Nonetheless, I can understand why some will choose C/L/M over T, in the same way many of us choose Isaan over BangPats

Getting more tourists than before - yes, but increases in Lao and Camby are no more than in Thailand I would guess. Love both Laos and Cambodia but to deny that Thailand is still not light years ahead of both in development is bonkers as we say in England. When they have developed a bit more they will get the rip-offs don't you worry! [and while we are on that subject, Cambodian immigration is a disgrace at some border crossings].

Nonetheless, I can understand why some will choose C/L/M over T, in the same way many of us choose Isaan over BangPats

I don't know what Cambodian border crossings you use, but compared to Thai immigration, Cambodian immigration nowadays is a very friendly experience. Most of them even have these little stickers on the windows saying "No money to be paid here".

While Cambodia was rather backwards only a few years ago, they have been cleaning up very nicely, at least what is visible to tourists, and I have been experiencing less rip-offs and corruption, not more, as they have developed. Phnom Penh has become a very civilized city and new, reasonably priced "boutique hotels" are popping up almost every month. Much cleaner than Bangkok too, and the traffic is mostly civilized.

As for the nationality verification: This is apparently the same for all countries bordering Thailand. Those who want to work here needs a special passport and an id card that allows them to work here. A Burmese friend of mine had to wait for months for her documents (and pay thousands of baht along the way). Apparently, the Cambodian government has been working to slowly on this one, or maybe they aren't as eager as the Burmese government to have their citizens working in Thailand.

Sure...the govt is going to deport 160,000 Cambodians next Friday. They know were everyone is living, have bus tickets prepared, and everyone will willingly leave. Sure. Sounds like it's time for another extension of the verification program.

Not to mention a temporary labor shortage for the low paying, menial type of work that Thai nationals refuse to do :)

• Like 1

How many of the proposed tower blocks in Bangkok and Pattaya will get delayed or cancelled with no labour to do the work?

Another reason to NEVER buy off the plans. Better to spend a little more on one that is completed that risk your money on a promise!

• Like 1

While Cambodia was rather backwards only a few years ago, they have been cleaning up very nicely, at least what is visible to tourists, and I have been experiencing less rip-offs and corruption, not more, as they have developed. Phnom Penh has become a very civilized city and new, reasonably priced "boutique hotels" are popping up almost every month. Much cleaner than Bangkok too, and the traffic is mostly civilized.

I love Phnompers but have to disagree about it being cleaner than Bangkok or the traffic more civilised.

• Like 1

Cambodian immigration is already light years ahead of Thailand. I have been using the Koh Kong or Aran crossings for 12 years. My last 3 trips thru Aran have been a nightmare. On the Khmer side it takes 2 or 3 mins, unless you turn up with all the tourist buses leaving Siem Reap at 7-6am. However on the Thai side scams are in full swing. 500baht gets you about halfway up the 1 to 1.5 hour line, not even to the front. While the Khmers have finger print scanners and a seemingly efficient computer system the Thais are merrily going as slowly as possible so their scam artists at the back of the line can generate more cash. Thailand is going backwards very fast. For me the biggest difference is the eagerness of many of the youth who want to learn and improve themselves and their country. I absolutely cannot say the same of Thai youth I have met.

• Like 2

I don't know what Cambodian border crossings you use, but compared to Thai immigration, Cambodian immigration nowadays is a very friendly experience. Most of them even have these little stickers on the windows saying "No money to be paid here".

As for the nationality verification: This is apparently the same for all countries bordering Thailand. Those who want to work here needs a special passport and an id card that allows them to work here. A Burmese friend of mine had to wait for months for her documents (and pay thousands of baht along the way). Apparently, the Cambodian government has been working to slowly on this one, or maybe they aren't as eager as the Burmese government to have their citizens working in Thailand.

I'm going to jump in. You both have good points, but Cambodia and Burma catching up to Thailand I don't believe that will happen. One you are not comparing apples to apples.

Thailand as about 62-3 million people. Cambodia about 14 million, Burma I don't know. Thailand tourism is about 18 million a year and this has a steady increase. Cambodia I believe is around 1-2 million, not positive of the number. Yes, Cambodia is cleaning up and growth is happening, but to catch up and surpass Thailand don't see that happening anytime soon. I too like cambodia but enjoy Thailand much better. As for broad crossing and asking for money I have not had a Thai immigration officer ask for money in 6-7 years, Cambodia even with the stickers on the windows they ask. I always tell them no! I cross in OSmach most of the time. The bigger boarder crossing no problems.

As for the Cambodian workers I see allot of workers will be in Thailand working not being legal same as many expats! Up here in Surin you see Cambodian being taken back to Cambodia every once in awhile for working in Thailand illegally, which one or two days they are back in Thailand. Same old same old.

• Like 2

Cambodia will receive between 3 and 3.5 million tourists this year (first 3 quarters were 2.5 million), an increase of 20-25% over 2011. Myanmar's potential is obviously very large, but it will take many years before they have the necessary infrastructure in place. The population is about the same as in Thailand.

• Like 2

Was in Phnom Penh five years ago. Went back two years ago and could not believe the growth in the city.

Both countries are changing and making tourism easier. They both have a long wasy to go but they are doing it not just sitting on there ass and talking about how good it is as Thailand does. Give them a few years and you will see a greater amount of tourists choosing them over Thailand. It will nor be an overnight change bur it will happen. particularly in Burma with all it's beaches.

Not very reassuring, that 300 baht a day is that much of a attraction though, is it?

you don't think cambodians are being paid 300b pd do you ? , ....all the ones i know of , and thats quite a few , think they are lucky if they get over 100b pd