Taxis: Do You Ask Or Command Your Destination?

beachroadlover2

Ask. Why would you want to sit in a car for an hour with a guy who has to return his car, doesn't want to go that way or simply doesn't like you. Not worth it. It's only really around sukhumvit or if you ask a ridiculous cross town or through rush hour destination they won't want to go.

Ask. Why would you want to sit in a car for an hour with a guy who has to return his car, doesn't want to go that way or simply doesn't like you. Not worth it. It's only really around sukhumvit or if you ask a ridiculous cross town or through rush hour destination they won't want to go.

Agree here.... I always ask, sometimes its a bit frustrating especially after you get 4 or 5 no's. But I understand for the most part the refusals. I live in Bang Kapi on Ramkhamhaeng and its always a pain getting back home from Suk on a weekend evening; usually just tell them 150thb and they are good with it (normal fare is about 100thb anyway.

I remember a few months back someone posted that when its raining and the driver refuses the fare, they leave the door open. LOL

• Like 1

Agree here.... I always ask, sometimes its a bit frustrating especially after you get 4 or 5 no's. But I understand for the most part the refusals. I live in Bang Kapi on Ramkhamhaeng and its always a pain getting back home from Suk on a weekend evening; usually just tell them 150thb and they are good with it (normal fare is about 100thb anyway.

I remember a few months back someone posted that when its raining and the driver refuses the fare, they leave the door open. LOL

I always get in and then say where I want to go, just force of habit from UK. My g/f tells me off about this and says you should always ask first.

We live in between Bang Kapi and Minburi and we also have problems getting back from Sukhumvit, so we take the MRT a couple of stops to Rama 9 and then flag a taxi down to take us the rest of the way, no problems.

Cannot agree with this.

I often go from Suk to Ramkahmhaeng. But there is no way I would ever offer them a fixed fare higher than what the meter should be.

Use the meter or find another cab. Agreeing to an inflated fixed fare and not using the meter is just encouraging bad habits and adding to potential problems for the next customer.

Actually suggesting an inflated fare is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

It seemed to me that following the recent, five minute, crackdown that drivers must do what they are required to do and take you to your requested destination, all drivers I encountered did just that.

I did think at the time that the suggestion that if a driver refused your fare you should photograph him and lodge a complaint was, to say the least bizarre. I thought then that I would be reluctant to get in the back of a cab and demand that the driver took me somewhere they really didn't want to go.

I have noticed that as the novelty of this crackdown seems to have worn off I have been turned down by more and more drivers for even the most straightforward fare, it seems to me that some drivers would rather drive an empty taxi in the hope they will find the holy grail of passengers.

Cannot agree with this.

I often go from Suk to Ramkahmhaeng. But there is no way I would ever offer them a fixed fare higher than what the meter should be.

Use the meter or find another cab. Agreeing to an inflated fixed fare and not using the meter is just encouraging bad habits and adding to potential problems for the next customer.

Actually suggesting an inflated fare is just ridiculous.

Sorry that you disagree, and I really don't care whether my actions encourage bad behavior, but just last night at Suk Soi 7 at 1030pm went thru 6 taxis before I offered the set fare. When I used to lived on Sathorn and the GF lived on Lad Prao soi 35, you could hail a dozen taxis that would refuse...

Edited by tjhorner

Always ask. That is just how it is done here. When you just hop in an command your destination, besides coming off as rude, you are giving off the signal that you are a fresh off the boat farang and are open to being taken advantage of. The foreign guys I know that don't ask, also happen to be the guys that are always having problems with taxi drivers, while I have taken hundreds of taxis and never have any problems.

• Like 2

I think it is best, after waving down a free taxi, to open the back door (curb-side), state your destination and mention any specifics (motorway, tollway, etc.), then wait to for the driver to accept you as a fare, then enter the taxi. AFAIK, they are not obligated to transport you, as they may not want to go where you want, and/or they are close to the hand-off time (12 hour shifts end ~ 04:00, 16:00). This saves getting into and out of a number of taxis. Around 16:00 I can go through ~ 10 or more taxis before I get one who wants to go where I want; other Thai people standing nearby are experiencing the same thing.

It is against the law for a taxi to refuse a fair... There is a number you can call to report them... I never have, and do not know anyone who has.

I always ask and if they hesitate it is a sign that they don't want to go, so i close the door and move onto the next one.

To the poster encouraging taxis to rip us off by paying an inflated fee. No, you are doing it totally wrong.

OT: I always get in the taxi first, and then tell them where to go, if they refuse, I tell them it is illegal to refuse to go. And I always make sure I stare them in the eye, and move slowly out of the car, and meanwhile I usually say, I will call the police. That will make it uncomfortable for them to refuse to go.

If you ask first, you will never get a ride these days.

If they have looked the door, and they wind down the window, I just turn around and move on to the next taxi without telling them were I am going.

Doesnt matter what you do. If they dont want to take you they wont!

That's a fair call.

I can understand when I ask a taxi driver if he can take me to 'X' and he says it is out of the way or nearly end of shift etc.

This doesn't worry me, as there isn't exactly a shortage of taxis in Bangkok.

Most of the time I can find a cabbie who will take me where I need to go, and who will use the meter - within a short period of time.

Getting back to the OP's question - I will always ask first. Most taxi drivers are decent people making a living, and they are providing a service which I appreciate using.

My only stipulation is that the meter is used.

Doesnt matter what you do. If they dont want to take you they wont!

It does matter, they exists because of us, not the other way around.

Take away his customers, and he will not be driving anymore.

It is about making it uncomfortable for him to say no. So he will avoid it as much as possible.

ASK. Fully respect the right of the guy not wanting to drive where he does not wish to go. Many reasons...shift change and such small money being main factors. Been few times I have been left waiting for a taxi.

Routinely getting no for trips to Sai Tai. Last week guy took us and dumped us 70% of the way there. Long story but he did not ask for the fare. He lost his head sitting in the traffic.

First I was really mad, put our trip in peril. After we arrived and vot to the bus I just felt dorry for him.

Dont let the drivers leave the main roads, you never gain by shortcutting on long distance taxi rides. Quick detour is another matter perhaps.

Edited by bangkokburning

To the poster encouraging taxis to rip us off by paying an inflated fee. No, you are doing it totally wrong.

OT: I always get in the taxi first, and then tell them where to go, if they refuse, I tell them it is illegal to refuse to go. And I always make sure I stare them in the eye, and move slowly out of the car, and meanwhile I usually say, I will call the police. That will make it uncomfortable for them to refuse to go.

If you ask first, you will never get a ride these days.

If they have looked the door, and they wind down the window, I just turn around and move on to the next taxi without telling them were I am going.

Wow, this is so wrong. I bet you have loads of problems with taxis.

Locked door?

So then they drive you in circles so you pay addl 20%.

Most likely just doing runs in tourist areas - got it. Nana to.SC.

Do you puff out your chrest when barking your command? Curious.

• Like 1