Thailand Based Success Stories

thaipro_pattaya

Many ex-pats in Thailand seem to have a defeatist, can’t do attitude. So I would like anyone who has an inspirational success story to share it here and I will share another success story: me.

Two years ago after over 30 highly successful years in the used-auto business, during which time I built up one of the leading used car dealerships of the American Mid-West, I decided to seek new challenges and a different place of life in Thailand: the Asian land of opportunity.

After meeting a wonderful girl called Noi, we got married and started our own Asian- American family. Sure there were difficulties assimilating her two children from a previous marriage into the western lifestyle and culture that I insisted on but after a few teething problems everything is working wonderfully and our 3 month old, Budd, is blossoming already. So once I had settled into domestic equilibrium I decided to focus on something that we are all here for: business.

Having developed highly charged business acumen and powerful entrepreneurial spirit from my time in the auto trade I took it upon myself to make it as a SME business man in Thailand; the fruits of my labor began to show almost immediately. Noi having years of experience as a receptionist suggested I open a variety of tourism led businesses in her native Pattaya. We started with a small hotel with adjoining bar and pool room. In the past two years I have diversified the enterprise and just from profits alone have been able to purchase: another bar; a landro-mat; a hotel and of course next year I plan to open my own used car dealership serving ex-pats in the Pattaya area. I have been able to do all these things through hard work, motivation and skill and you can too! Lets make a positive future for all of those of us with the balls to make it. Those who can’t will have to scrape by with teaching English :o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was a breath of badly needed fresh air round here :D Thanks for the recap TPP, well done! I also fully subscribe to the CAN do attitude and not afraid of rolling up the shirt sleeves :D Best wishes on your future endeavours! :o

PS, mods, hate to see this thread collect dust in the farang pub sect... maybe move it to business as it's related? Cheers!

Hmmmm

OK, I'l admit I'm an habitual cynic but when I read Posts like this I remember what Gertrude said in Hamlet.

Patrick

I don't remember anywhere in Hamlet that Gertrude said, "Patrick."

What scene was it?

:D That's very funny..... :o

I have a question: why is it that success always seems to be a measure of how much money one makes rather than good contributions to society? :D

I don't think that there's anything wrong with teaching. I was taught by some of the best teachers the UK, the US and Australia has to offer in Bangkok. Sure there's varying grades of the English language teachers the OP refers to, but it is a very flexible profession and enables people to pursue other areas of interest varying from picking up every night of the week to studying.

Two years ago after over 30 highly successful years in the used-auto business, during which time I built up one of the leading used car dealerships of the American Mid-West

I also remember what a 1960s publicity campaign said of a US presidential candidate: "Would you buy a used car from this man?" That man was one Richard Millhouse Nixon. 'Nuff said?

something that we are all here for: business.

Oh really? I'm trying to sort out my work/life balance after many years of getting it wrong.

Having developed highly charged business acumen and powerful entrepreneurial spirit from my time in the auto trade

Those who can’t will have to scrape by with teaching English

And the winner in the condescension category is..... ThaiPro Pattaya! Presumably someone taught you English at some stage. They gave you the most basic tools with which to make a living: are they losers?

Either a troll or someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. I think Patrick may well be right. And khall is spot on, IMHO.

Hmmmm

OK, I'l admit I'm an habitual cynic but when I read Posts like this I remember what Gertrude said in Hamlet.

Patrick

I don't remember anywhere in Hamlet that Gertrude said, "Patrick."

What scene was it?

I hope you're not an English teacher OAH! :D

Hamlet (Act 3. Scene 2)

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Used as a modern idiom - one tends not to believe a person because they insist too strongly that something is true.

Plus I find nothing at all impressive if some self aggrandising Expat founds his business in Thailand, however it may later expand, in the Bar scene......

"Having developed highly charged business acumen and powerful entrepreneurial spirit ( :D ) from my time in the auto trade I took it upon myself to make it as a SME business man in Thailand; the fruits of my labor began to show almost immediately. Noi having years of experience as a receptionist ( :o ) suggested I open a variety of tourism led businesses in her native Pattaya. We started with a small hotel with adjoining bar and pool room. ( :D ) "

I have no great regard for the usual English Teacher backpackers in Thailand but I am revolted that "thaipro_pattaya" should feel that his way of making money in Thailand is somehow superior.

Patrick

I also object to that "You all can't be teachers" Shot! Some of us teachers are here because we Don't want to be driven insane by the day to day grind of the Business successes you are touting.

I for one would hate to be bogged down by a business of any type and prefer to take it easy and teach kids who REALLY do need someone who cares about them rather than just shuffling them through the next door.

Derogetory comments like that need to be kept to yourself.

Greg <-----steps down from soapbox

I don't know anything about the OP.

He is either a Troll or a Big Head.

Now you wanna real success story, then look at the second post B&S has worked his nuts off to build his business from scratch, he won't mind me saying he has had his setbacks but he has overcome them through sheer determination to succeed.

Nothing's for nothing in Thailand, you have to work 5 times as hard here to make a Baht.

If the OP is genuine good luck to him, but why BRAG about it, really sucessful people do not brag about their acheivements, they let those achievments speak for themselves

Sure there were difficulties assimilating her two children from a previous marriage into the western lifestyle and culture that I insisted on but after a few teething problems everything is working wonderfully and our 3 month old, Budd, is blossoming already. So once I had settled into domestic equilibrium I decided to focus on something that we are all here for: business.

Oh dear, poor kids! I'm glad you're not my step-dad.

What's so wrong with the culture into which they were born? Why do think you have the right to 'insist'? Has it occurred to you that you might just show them something of your version of western culture and let them make up their own minds? Are you a bit of a control freak? Do you ever take time out from your oh so important business to play with the kids?

Your opening post is just about the saddest thing that I have read here and I hope that you think about some of the things that have been said to you by other posters.

I don't know anything about the OP.

He is either a Troll or a Big Head.

Now you wanna real success story, then look at the second post B&S has worked his nuts off to build his business from scratch, he won't mind me saying he has had his setbacks but he has overcome them through sheer determination to succeed.

Nothing's for nothing in Thailand, you have to work 5 times as hard here to make a Baht.

If the OP is genuine good luck to him, but why BRAG about it, really sucessful people do not brag about their acheivements, they let those achievments speak for themselves

Cheers Tp and I don't mind a bit :o (maybe you're just pleased I warned you off investing in my biz way back when;) Bottom line, Thailand's a tough place to make it. Take every single successful business dynamic you're familiar with and apply the works to a venture in TIT and one may soon discover an entirely new rule book is required.

Having said that, I completely admire entreprenuers and particularily those willing to re-think, work hard and adapt, which is a neccesity in Thailand especially for a foreigner more often than not. If one thinks they know it all, chances are they probably don't know Thailand... (I'm still learning and learning and learning;)

I guess I was so pleased at the OP's overall "cando" type post (a refreshing diversion from the normal negativity), I failed to register the reference to "Teachers". For the record, it goes against my beliefs to limit anyone's aspirations, or entrepreneurial spirit, based on anything other than their sheer effort, ingenuity, willingness to be flexible and adaptable.

I still wish the OP the best in the future but would caution not to underestimate anyone's capabilities, regardless of vocation. And Tp, if you're reading this late at night, don't you have to get the restaurant open bright & early??? Very best to ALL of yous :D

Well said B&S :o

So, I'd like to add my 2 bahts worth. It doesn't matter what you do in Thailand, it's how you do it. If you apply yourself for the good of all (almost karmically speaking)- you just may make a go of it! Put your heart and soul in, think of the welfare of others, be polite and caring... and hope for the best!

Good luck to everyone! :D

Many ex-pats in Thailand seem to have a defeatist, can’t do attitude. So I would like anyone who has an inspirational success story to share it here and I will share another success story: me.

Two years ago after over 30 highly successful years in the used-auto business, during which time I built up one of the leading used car dealerships of the American Mid-West, I decided to seek new challenges and a different place of life in Thailand: the Asian land of opportunity.

After meeting a wonderful girl called Noi, we got married and started our own Asian- American family. Sure there were difficulties assimilating her two children from a previous marriage into the western lifestyle and culture that I insisted on but after a few teething problems everything is working wonderfully and our 3 month old, Budd, is blossoming already. So once I had settled into domestic equilibrium I decided to focus on something that we are all here for: business.

Having developed highly charged business acumen and powerful entrepreneurial spirit from my time in the auto trade I took it upon myself to make it as a SME business man in Thailand; the fruits of my labor began to show almost immediately. Noi having years of experience as a receptionist suggested I open a variety of tourism led businesses in her native Pattaya. We started with a small hotel with adjoining bar and pool room. In the past two years I have diversified the enterprise and just from profits alone have been able to purchase: another bar; a landro-mat; a hotel and of course next year I plan to open my own used car dealership serving ex-pats in the Pattaya area. I have been able to do all these things through hard work, motivation and skill and you can too! Lets make a positive future for all of those of us with the balls to make it. Those who can’t will have to scrape by with teaching English :o

I have a few questions/points if you don't mind (and I am NOT a negative person; on the contrary).

1. Would you think it's possible to have accomplished the same in LOS, being a Farang, without being married to a/your Thai Lady? Meaning: could one do the same without a Thai spouse, or married with a non-Thai-spouse?

2. What kind of capital did you start with (in LOS)?

3. Are the licenses and other paper-stuff in your or wifes' name, or both of you?

4. How did you overcome workpermits and other 'loopholes'?

There are a few more questions, but leave that for the moment.

Good Luck

LaoPo

And Tp, if you're reading this late at night, don't you have to get the restaurant open bright & early???

Hi D. No I don't have to be there bright and early, it's my job to scare off the customers by just boring them to death :D

I don't have that much to do with it really, my Wife takes care of everything , I just potter about and drink the odd beer or ten. It's not making big money and never will, but it gives my Wife a very deep satisfaction that she can make a small contribution to our household finances

Its a hard life but someone has to do it :D

PS I have never thought that it would be a a BAD IDEA to have invested in your business idea, I always thought it would work, but as you know you needed someone who can give you 110% commitment, and because I had already done what you are doing now back home I felt that I was "Too Old" to start from scratch again, plus the first paragraph prooves what a "Lazy Sod" I have become out here :o

All the best D.

PS I STILL have'nt had any copies to put out for our customers, if they had something to read they could probably get away without having to talk to me :D

Please HELP these poor souls :D

TP

I started this thread not to boast about my own considerable success but to show others that making a good life for yourself in Thailand AND your family is possible. Many of the posts here seem to be of the doom and gloom variety and I simply posted to help and inspire others. And how are my efforts greeted? With insinuations and insults regarding my family and my own self made success. I thought Thai Visa was worth more than this.

I started this thread not to boast about my own considerable success but to show others that making a good life for yourself in Thailand AND your family is possible. Many of the posts here seem to be of the doom and gloom variety and I simply posted to help and inspire others. And how are my efforts greeted? With insinuations and insults regarding my family and my own self made success. I thought Thai Visa was worth more than this.

Troll

I would appreciate it if you could answer my post #19, see above.

LaoPo

1. Would you think it's possible to have accomplished the same in LOS, being a Farang, without being married to a/your Thai Lady? Meaning: could one do the same without a Thai spouse, or married with a non-Thai-spouse?

1) Yes I believe so "we have nothing to fear but fear itself"

2. What kind of capital did you start with (in LOS)?

2) A significant amount. But for those without that there are more modest investments

3. Are the licenses and other paper-stuff in your or wifes' name, or both of you?

3) The businesses are in my wifes name for legal reasons.

4. How did you overcome workpermits and other 'loopholes'?

4) I have a work permit and one year visa.

LaoPo[/color]

1. Well, you see, I don't think it would be so easy like in your case (I'm a Farang married with a non-Thai)

2. Apart from bars, what would be an option?

3. I understand but a bit scary; if something happens in a relation, you would have no legs to stand on, or am I wrong?

4. Good for you.

I'm sorry, I don't have a successtory (in LOS) to share; I'm just orientating possibilities, but being Farang with a non-Thai partner, it's a different ballgame.

LaoPo

A positive attitude makes me a "troll" crawl back under your rock!

Alright then, I'll bite.

Sir, IMHO your attitude stinks. You probably have absolutely no idea who is on TV and whether or not they are successful. For all you know, each and every poster on this thread might be massively more successful than you could ever be - but they don't feel the need to tell the world how clever/rich/successful they are. You belittle teachers (I am not a teacher, BTW) and yet your command of the English language appears fundamentally flawed, judging by some of your posts.

You appear to judge success in purely financial terms, which IMHO is a sad error. Enjoy your wealth - it may be the only thing you have.

Your asinine comments about Brits are unevidenced, ill-educated and do a grave disservice to your fellow Americans. As for a positive attitude - you can have this without being braggardly or offensive.

I apologise to the other tv-ers for my rant, which is now over. And I still think the OP is a troll.