1800B-4000B Fares From Phuket International Airport To Beach Towns.

NomadJoe

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

I'm sorry, that I have to say this, but it is obvious:

You guests don't have a clue about the chosen destination Phuket!

And going somewhere, totally unprepared, leaves big chances, to get scammed!

A simple "Taxi Phuket Airport to Kata" question for google gives all they need.

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

Let's call it experience, very valuable!

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

Nope, it isn't ok,

But to ask 3-8 times the fare is only possible, if someone is not even interested in any details of the 'next stop' holiday location!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No amount of Googling is going to save you from being taken to a "tour desk" where are you told that since they don't know where your hotel is, your given the hard sale and are told that you need to re-book a different hotel, and also must pay an additional fee to the driver to take you there.

That is (imho) totally BS!

In case, I've booked a Hotel, or I'm planning a walk in at a specific hotel I have the Hotel Contact details with me.

That's includes a phone number.

And even, in case it cost 'roaming' money, I use my home cell number, to call the hotel!

(In case, I would refuse the free True number at Phuket Airport, they throwing on tourist for some years, already)

Actually, I also have found and stored some useful numbers, that google gets you, easily:

Police, Tourist police, hospitals, !

During this searching, you'll 'fall' over the prices from the Airport to the destinations for limo service, Meter taxi, Minibus, Airportbus....

Also you can't miss the information about the scams, Taxi, Jet ski, ....!

The internet has everything, about Phuket, for sure.

No amount of Googling is going to save you from being taken to a "tour desk" where are you told that since they don't know where your hotel is, your given the hard sale and are told that you need to re-book a different hotel, and also must pay an additional fee to the driver to take you there. I've heard that one twice in the last couple weeks and as you can see from that PW article, we aren't the only ones this is happening too. We are getting no shows and I am certain that this is the cause of some of them.

You know, I just don't buy that tour desk thing. Does that tourist not have a contact phone number ? Is that tourist a complete idiot ? They have a firm booking, with reservation information. Ok, I accept that the average newbie is here for a good time holiday and does not want any aggro - and the best of luck to them if they take that position.

It's been happening a long time but I became worse after the tsunami. At that time they would say that a hotel was closed due to tsunami damage, then took the unsuspecting customer to a commission-paying destination. Everyone was desperate for any income at that time.

And since then the stories have changed but the scam is the same.

And yes, some people fall for it.

It's a particularly annoying one as well, as it's not just the tourist being scammed but also Phuket businesses being duped.

Edited by madmitch

No amount of Googling is going to save you from being taken to a "tour desk" where are you told that since they don't know where your hotel is, your given the hard sale and are told that you need to re-book a different hotel, and also must pay an additional fee to the driver to take you there. I've heard that one twice in the last couple weeks and as you can see from that PW article, we aren't the only ones this is happening too. We are getting no shows and I am certain that this is the cause of some of them.

You know, I just don't buy that tour desk thing. Does that tourist not have a contact phone number ? Is that tourist a complete idiot ? They have a firm booking, with reservation information. Ok, I accept that the average newbie is here for a good time holiday and does not want any aggro - and the best of luck to them if they take that position.

With what phone are they going to call? I had forgot to mention that one of the drivers said he had no money on his phone so couldn't call.

LIK you really need to go read that article at the news source which cannot be named. Others are having the same problem.

And yes, tourists are often complete idiots.

Edited by NomadJoe

There is a difference between us, who have lived in this place learning the scam tactics for years and the people who come here for the first time. Thinking is different.

The image of Thailand is "The land of smiles".. for people who have been here longer or otherwise experienced the not so pretty teeth behind the smile, this is "The land of scams".

When an, well for example Scandinavian, comes here for the first vacation, they tend to trust the people they are dealing with. Specially when they are smiling as much as people here do. Yes the new comers trust too much at first, but they do that only once, unless they are stupid. Nobody wishes to feel like an idiot.

The aftermath of this is that people who have been scammed, do not come back. They also talk about their experiences. I guess we have already seen the change of the demographics where the tourists are coming. Not so many from Scandinavia anymore and more from the countries where scams are more of daily entertainment.

Vacations are for enjoyment and relaxation, not for playing "games" with filthy minded people.

Edited by Guest

To add some light to this, it depends on which hotel you state you've booked. If you say Royal Crown Patong or Novotel Patong they know not to try their luck, but if you say a hotel that doesn't ring their bell your fair game. When you get out of airside one look at your face and they know if you're a first timer or not. If they see something they like they will take it all the way. Consider building a relationship with them via a 3rd party. If you can't beat em join em. When your hotel name comes up you want to register on their don't **** with them list.

For a first I took a Taxi meter to town this Friday andas quoted 400hb wich i think was okay because the limoservice usually charge 500Thb and they all drive like Schumacher anyway!

Schumacher is a professional driver and knows how to drive

The limo drivers and some of the taxi drivers here must have won there drivers licenses in a lottery

• Like 1

Every year I fly into Los Angeles International Airport, my hometown a beach area about 50 minutes away.

O.K.,(?) A huge American International Airport and you know what my options are?

A van share scenario with multiple passengers that takes 2-3 hours for everybody's drops, 2500thb. Super crappy dirty taxi cab, 4000thb and then have to tip. Last option and what I usually do, private car and driver 6200thb.

That the travellers at PIA are not savvy enough or have not gotten correct information is on them IMO, the options are there for them unlike LAX.

For a first I took a Taxi meter to town this Friday andas quoted 400hb wich i think was okay because the limoservice usually charge 500Thb and they all drive like Schumacher anyway!

Schumacher is a professional driver and knows how to drive

The limo drivers and some of the taxi drivers here must have won there drivers licenses in a lottery

Yes but he drive on a track not on Thepkasatri Road.

Every year I fly into Los Angeles International Airport, my hometown a beach area about 50 minutes away.

O.K.,(?) A huge American International Airport and you know what my options are?

A van share scenario with multiple passengers that takes 2-3 hours for everybody's drops, 2500thb. Super crappy dirty taxi cab, 4000thb and then have to tip. Last option and what I usually do, private car and driver 6200thb.

That the travellers at PIA are not savvy enough or have not gotten correct information is on them IMO, the options are there for them unlike LAX.

There is also a free shuttle that takes you to the Metro Bus Center. And at least the cabs there have meters and they use them. LAX is probably one of the worst in the states for public transport. Which is ironic because 75 years ago LA had the best public transport system in the world, the Pacific Electric Railway until is was bought by Standard Oil and run into the ground so freeways could be built over the existing rail lines. The current freeways are where all the old rail lines used to be.

I am also about 50 minutes away from SFO. The BART train comes directly into the terminal. $10 (360B) to get to my home town, then either $2 (60B) for 10 minute bus ride or a $20 metered taxi which always seemed clean enough. The shared shuttle option door to terminal is as you say, about $80 (2400B).

What's really telling as that we are comparing prices from the most expensive places in the world with those of a developing country.

I have to agree, but with who?????, i came through Phuket airport recently, i really did notice taxi fare signs everywhere and to all destinations on the island, marked clearly, i just jumped in a blue and yellow taxi and agreed 450 baht to patong, by the time someone takes over 2 hours out there day to pick me up and the fuel cost, 450B's OK, i would have thought that common sense would kick in at 4000baht, $120's for a 40-50 minute cab ride, but i can see the argument about landing in a foreign country, tired, stupid, gullible, money to burn, oops sorry that's bangla road aswel. i would have thought the real issue would be is it illegal to charge as a example 4000 baht if the customer and taxi driver agree a price between themselves, of coarse if its a fixed tarrif for the distance laid out by the taxi governing body/ authorities, then its wrong and extortion, who polices such matters??????saai.gif

One would have to assume

1) Taxi drivers are seriously taking advantage of unknowledgeable tourists here.

2) Said taxi drivers must be able to work with some impunity at the airport to be able to intercept said tourists.

With what phone are they going to call? I had forgot to mention that one of the drivers said he had no money on his phone so couldn't call.

LIK you really need to go read that article at the news source which cannot be named. Others are having the same problem.

Oh this definitely happens we have the same problem over in krabi ,the taxi will drive them round for ages then say can't find the place or it must be closed ,the taxi then takes them to another resort where he gets commission for bringing customers,seems to happen more in low season when fewer tourists about.

^ There are no blue and yellow taxi's in Phuket.

i know it's 2 colours, green and pink, violet and salmon, black and darker black, yellow and green, red and green, mustard and beef, larger and lime, "yes your honer, i'm trying to remember, honestly", who cares????, out of that whole debatable paragraph you pick up on taxi colours, tell me the governing authorities for taxi's, is it illegal to charge a fare if agreed in advance by both parties, what height are the taxi fare signs in the airport, would the tourist police help????, what information should a taxi driver display????, what sticker should be visible on the taxi if it's a legal taxi, what is excepted as a taxi, as in car/ model and year????, no!!! but the bloody colour, jeeeeeezebeatdeadhorse.gif
  • Like 1

Oh this definitely happens we have the same problem over in krabi ,the taxi will drive them round for ages then say can't find the place or it must be closed ,the taxi then takes them to another resort where he gets commission for bringing customers,seems to happen more in low season when fewer tourists about.

No, that can't happen. This is the Phuket forum where Phuket expats complain about Phuket problems and see those problems as uniquely Phuket.

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

I'm sorry, that I have to say this, but it is obvious:

You guests don't have a clue about the chosen destination Phuket!

And going somewhere, totally unprepared, leaves big chances, to get scammed!

A simple "Taxi Phuket Airport to Kata" question for google gives all they need.

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

Let's call it experience, very valuable!

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

Joe, it's a sad fact of anywhere in the world. Any newbie tourist, anywhere in the world is prey for the vultures.

Answer is - be less of a newbie and research your destination. Google is a true friend. Wish I had that many years ago when I traveled extensively to new places.

If a "newbie" did google "taxis Phuket" or "tuk-tuks Phuket" or "public transport Phuket" and saw all the negatives on the lack of public transport here, the ridiculous prices they charge and saw some photos of the victims that were bashed by tuk-tuk drivers, they may consider going somewhere else for their holiday, such as Pattaya. :) :)

The internet may have influenced many tourists to come here, but I'm sure it has also influenced many people to chose another desination for their holiday.

i know it's 2 colours, green and pink, violet and salmon, black and darker black, yellow and green, red and green, mustard and beef, larger and lime, "yes your honer, i'm trying to remember, honestly", who cares????, out of that whole debatable paragraph you pick up on taxi colours, tell me the governing authorities for taxi's, is it illegal to charge a fare if agreed in advance by both parties, what height are the taxi fare signs in the airport, would the tourist police help????, what information should a taxi driver display????, what sticker should be visible on the taxi if it's a legal taxi, what is excepted as a taxi, as in car/ model and year????, no!!! but the bloody colour, jeeeeeezebeatdeadhorse.gif

A hint:

phuket-meter-taxi-3.jpg

No, that can't happen. This is the Phuket forum where Phuket expats complain about Phuket problems and see those problems as uniquely Phuket.

Of course it can happen!

I mean, that stupid/uninformed tourists aren't knowing something about, where they going, That stupid/uninformed tourists in this situation don't wanna use their own cellphone with their country sim card in it. Or does anyone met people out there, without a cellphone in the pocket? That's maybe 2 of 100!

And as long it is 'better' to save 100 or 200 baht on the telefon bill, but get 're-booked' to another hotel. .....!

Where they, btw. paying more for the room, as they would even pay, walked in on their own. Cause the hotel charges them the commission for the taxi driver. For every day of their stay!

But that's up2them.

Edited by noob7

Cause the hotel charges them the commission for the taxi driver. For every day of their stay!

But that's up2them.

That is not quite right.

They pay commission for those days booked at the office but after that they can charge what they want. They usually offer a discount for those customers extending, allowing them to look as though they are offering the customer a deal, whereas in reality they are just reducing their rate to the regular one.

The previous owner of our guesthouse used to accommodate the airport taxi and minibus passengers but we immediately cancelled the arrangement upon taking over. That's how I know.

A hint:

phuket-meter-taxi-3.jpg

@ nomadjoe, what in gods green earth is the colour of the taxi behind the pillar,my friend in the picture is driving a blue and yellow taxi, your reply was inaccurate, irresponsible, a through away comment that within law enforcement would have landed some poor bugger in prison if you where giving evidence against somebody, imagine a nubbie tourist reading your demeaning reply and then out the airport to see a blue and yellow taxi "what, NMJ said there where none" sounds comical but people read this and entrusted you NMJ as a responsible TV member. your making a mockery out of a responsible forum

post-151889-0-98586000-1355133615_thumb.

Edited by britpop
  • Like 1

A hint:

phuket-meter-taxi-3.jpg

@ nomadjoe, what in gods green earth is the colour of the taxi behind the pillar,my friend in the picture is driving a blue and yellow taxi, your reply was inaccurate, irresponsible, a through away comment that within law enforcement would have landed some poor bugger in prison if you where giving evidence against somebody, imagine a nubbie tourist reading your demeaning reply and then out the airport to see a blue and yellow taxi "what, NMJ said there where none" sounds comical but people read this and entrusted you NMJ as a responsible TV member. your making a mockery out of a responsible forum

It's more sort of greenish, really.

OK, out of here...

post-35489-0-59946300-1355135061.gif

• Like 1

I own a couple of hotels in Phuket and I'm in general agreement with NMJ on this topic.

Hotel/hospitality owners should remember a couple of golden rules:

1 - The customer is always right, even if he is wrong

2 - Look after your customers, even if they are stupid

In other words, a hotel is in the customer service business, and whether your guests are streetsmart or complete idiots, it is the hotel manager's responsibility to look after these guests, and to ensure that they do not fall for any scams whilst they are in your care.

In 2006 after I built/opened my first Phuket hotel, I quickly learnt about the lies and scams that many airport taxi drivers try to pull.

'Oh, that hotel is full/burnt down/filthy etc etc - I take you to a better hotel'

Until I left Phuket to work in Myanmar earlier this year, I took it upon myself to meet my arriving guests at the airport, to ensure that they were not scammed by unscrupulous taxi drivers. You could find me standing with my guest name board most evenings until 2 or 3 in the morning. My guests appreciated it and I considered it all part of my responsibility to my guests. (And from 2006-2012, no-one ever challenged me as a 'farang' holding my hotel sign!!).

Don't blame your guests for being naive about Phuket scams. Blame the airport authorities and local government for allowing these scams to continue, year in, year out...

Simon

• Like 1

Cause the hotel charges them the commission for the taxi driver. For every day of their stay!

But that's up2them.

That is not quite right.

They pay commission for those days booked at the office but after that they can charge what they want. They usually offer a discount for those customers extending, allowing them to look as though they are offering the customer a deal, whereas in reality they are just reducing their rate to the regular one.

The previous owner of our guesthouse used to accommodate the airport taxi and minibus passengers but we immediately cancelled the arrangement upon taking over. That's how I know.

Not sure, if we're talking about the same thing:

You're not talking about your office reception, but about this 'booking stop' office somewhere, where the police will never look for it, are you?

I don't!

In case, a taxi driver is 'booking' you on arrival, he will mostly get for every f%^king day of your stay in that accommodation his share.

These bookings are that ones, where the taxi driver is already running into the hotel/guesthouse, and the customer still needs to grab his baggage from the trunk.

Best thing to do: Pay the cab and walk to another hotel/guesthouse! Isn't so difficult, in Patong.

These 'bookings on arrival' happen also, in case the customer wanted to go to that hotel anyway, but the taxi driver is thinking, that no booking in advance has happen.

And always the customer is paying. Expensive taxi ride!

Edited by noob7

But that's up2them.

That is not quite right.

Not sure, if we're talking about the same thing:

You're not talking about your office reception, but about this 'booking stop' office somewhere, where the police will never look for it, are you?

I don't!

In case, a taxi driver is 'booking' you on arrival, he will mostly get for every f%^king day of your stay in that accommodation his share.

These bookings are that ones, where the taxi driver is already running into the hotel/guesthouse, and the customer still needs to grab his baggage from the trunk.

Best thing to do: Pay the cab and walk to another hotel/guesthouse! Isn't so difficult, in Patong.

These 'bookings on arrival' happen also, in case the customer wanted to go to that hotel anyway, but the taxi driver is thinking, that no booking in advance has happen.

And always the customer is paying. Expensive taxi ride!

Same scam different method.

And believe me, the commission is only paid on the initial booking period, which is often only one night.

I own a couple of hotels in Phuket and I'm in general agreement with NMJ on this topic.

Hotel/hospitality owners should remember a couple of golden rules:

1 - The customer is always right, even if he is wrong

2 - Look after your customers, even if they are stupid

In other words, a hotel is in the customer service business, and whether your guests are streetsmart or complete idiots, it is the hotel manager's responsibility to look after these guests, and to ensure that they do not fall for any scams whilst they are in your care.

In 2006 after I built/opened my first Phuket hotel, I quickly learnt about the lies and scams that many airport taxi drivers try to pull.

'Oh, that hotel is full/burnt down/filthy etc etc - I take you to a better hotel'

Until I left Phuket to work in Myanmar earlier this year, I took it upon myself to meet my arriving guests at the airport, to ensure that they were not scammed by unscrupulous taxi drivers. You could find me standing with my guest name board most evenings until 2 or 3 in the morning. My guests appreciated it and I considered it all part of my responsibility to my guests. (And from 2006-2012, no-one ever challenged me as a 'farang' holding my hotel sign!!).

Don't blame your guests for being naive about Phuket scams. Blame the airport authorities and local government for allowing these scams to continue, year in, year out...

Simon

well said Simon, exactly my point towards NMJ, the questions i asked back to NMJ, who's to blame, surely the authorities, he's rambling on about LA, salaries can hardly be compared between the US and thai's, public transport there are heavily subsidized or if privatized, make healthy profits to reinvest, if they make a loss it's recognized it's by the bumbling inflated ego's mismanagement, the deficit of the US is trillions, quad zillions of baht, 99.99% of the masses pay for the mistakes of 0.01% of the law makers, the point i'm making is we complain quite rightly about 100-200 baht scams, but watch the world fall into financial ciaos, it's phuket related as it will effect pensions, investments returns, property prices, the equilibrium of balance, so instead of watching the ball, watch the whole game!!!!!!coffee1.gif Edited by britpop

Yes, very true. And until something is done about this, it is up to the hotels etc. to make sure the guests can reach you as easily and safely as possible. So correct information, personalised transfers, etc.

• Like 1

Yes, very true. And until something is done about this, it is up to the hotels etc. to make sure the guests can reach you as easily and safely as possible. So correct information, personalised transfers, etc.

As I said above, I was quoted 1300 baht by the hotel for an organized transfer. All the signs at the airport said 550 for the private taxis. And I probably would have got it cheaper by haggling with a public taxi.

The hotels should tell their customers to go to particular stalls and only pay the relevant amount.

My experience today after traveling 26 hours, was no real problem. I went to the meter taxi stand as usual. But I had a mountain bicycle in a road case, plus a 23 Kg bag and two carry on bags. I got a young driver who was willing and I said 500 Baht. The guy at the window was saying 600. I argued with them a little and it went no where. So, fine 600 Baht to Rawai with a taxi packed with bags and me in the front seat. No problem. The driver and I started to talk about it and he said since everyone in the other taxi and "limo" groups had raised their rates, we had to raise ours. I told him that there is a lot of talk about how taxis on Phuket scam people and how the meters actually work in the taxis in BKK and are way cheaper as well as being mostly a bit nicer than some of the meter cabs at Phuket airport. He said his boss charges him 750 a day to "rent" the taxi, plus gas, he's not making all that much it didn't seem. Anyway, nice kid, and didn't drive like a lunatic. I wasn't even nervous once, especially compared to the "race car driver" I had on the way to the airport!