1800B-4000B Fares From Phuket International Airport To Beach Towns.

NomadJoe

Sorry, but I disagree. You didn't take the taxi and the quote I was given included the airport fee. The "meter" taxi people did admit they had raised their price this month by 100 Baht though because every other "taxi" service had raised their rates in the past month or two with the blessing of the local government to take care of the "black plate" taxi issue...

This is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It was simply what I was quoted. 600B for the trip + 100B for the airport fee at the meter taxi stand.

They also did not want to use the meter, so using 'metered taxi' is pretty much misleading. However their prices are slightly better than others. Still this does not make them angels who will safe Phuket from greedy taxi drivers.

Maybe someone could just jump into their taxi, without agreeing anything. Drive all the way to their destination, even if the driver do not put the meter on.. and then see what the price will be. I think we all could collect money for the one who will be strong enough to see that the meter is showing 0B and only agrees to pay for the official airport fee... and when the fuzz will come, call the tourist police and even get to the court to see the whole thing trough?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai...

The meter taxi quote was 600B plus 100B for airport fee. I got to hear it twice. I'm confident with this one.

For the non metered taxis I'm not sure.

I guess the trick is : There are the official quotes inside of the restricted area. Once you get out of there, to for example ask prices outside, it's no longer possible to get back to the restricted area to make the original 750B deal. This way the incoming tourist have to either make an agreement inside without knowing the prices outside of the terminal (and we all know that even snacks are more expensive inside the terminal than outside), or they have agree the prices which are waiting outside.

People who come for the first time, this is a more tricky decision than for the people who come here for their second time.

I'll bet the game have larger offers for the people who come out from the international terminal and who look like newcomers.

Sorry, but I disagree. You didn't take the taxi and the quote I was given included the airport fee. The "meter" taxi people did admit they had raised their price this month by 100 Baht though because every other "taxi" service had raised their rates in the past month or two with the blessing of the local government to take care of the "black plate" taxi issue...

But the meter taxis have 2 problems. Ok, they would have, if anyone would care:

There is a meter in the taxi, that has to be used, from the airport.

And the km price for this meters need to be changed from official side, first.

I'm wondering, when it starts, that taxi passengers are using the smartphones for you tube clips.

Or other discussions.

With the flip covers, no one is thinking anything, about a mobil in the pocket of the shirt, or in the hand, with the cover closed.

"My Phuket holiday, Rip off started at the Airport!"

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

This is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It was simply what I was quoted. 600B for the trip + 100B for the airport fee at the meter taxi stand.

They also did not want to use the meter, so using 'metered taxi' is pretty much misleading. However their prices are slightly better than others. Still this does not make them angels who will safe Phuket from greedy taxi drivers.

Maybe someone could just jump into their taxi, without agreeing anything. Drive all the way to their destination, even if the driver do not put the meter on.. and then see what the price will be. I think we all could collect money for the one who will be strong enough to see that the meter is showing 0B and only agrees to pay for the official airport fee... and when the fuzz will come, call the tourist police and even get to the court to see the whole thing trough?

I do agree with your second sentence. And yes it would be interesting to see what would happen if you paid them less than they wanted upon arrival. They do not collect any fee or fare at the booth, by the way.

I do believe the airport fee was included in the 600 Baht fare at the meter cab. At least that was my experience on Tuesday afternoon. But I agree, if you ask any questions, they don't want talk to you even if you are speaking Thai...

The meter taxi quote was 600B plus 100B for airport fee. I got to hear it twice. I'm confident with this one.

I guess the trick is : There are the official quotes inside of the restricted area. Once you get out of there, to for example ask prices outside, it's no longer possible to get back to the restricted area to make the original 750B deal. This way the incoming tourist have to either make an agreement inside without knowing the prices outside of the terminal (and we all know that even snacks are more expensive inside the terminal than outside), or they have agree the prices which are waiting outside.

People who come for the first time, this is a more tricky decision than for the people who come here for their second time.

I'll bet the game have larger offers for the people who come out from the international terminal and who look like newcomers.

But the meter taxis have 2 problems. Ok, they would have, if anyone would care:

There is a meter in the taxi, that has to be used, from the airport.

And the km price for this meters need to be changed from official side, first.

I'm wondering, when it starts, that taxi passengers are using the smartphones for you tube clips.

Or other discussions.

With the flip covers, no one is thinking anything, about a mobil in the pocket of the shirt, or in the hand, with the cover closed.

"My Phuket holiday, Rip off started at the Airport!"

cheesy.gif

They try to cover up the meter now actually, so you can't see it...

• Like 1

This signs, and the one on the roof, also? These 'taxi drivers' are thinking, the customer are very, very stupid. And the officials are supporting it.

Amazing. But once, they overplay their cards. Sad story, for the people with business, here!

phuket-taxi-meter.jpg20111111105028_1_normal.jpg

Edited by noob7

This signs, and the one on the roof, also? These 'taxi drivers' are thinking, the customer are very, very stupid. And the officials are supporting it.

Amazing. But once, they overplay their cards. Sad story, for the people with business, here!

But the customers have to be very, very stupid as they are not able to speak southern Thai.. even if little kids here can master it.

It's even more funny when that is expanded to counting numbers..

2 additions:

1) airport surcharge is only applicable to meter taxi's;

2) once you exited the arrivals hall you can re-enter, simply use the official entrance. Many, many people do that.

@ noob, when was 'lately'. One month ago there were when a plane arrived only 2 touts inside the terminal, touting car rental. None of the taxi touts were inside, and the prices were very, very clearly displayed.

I do agree with your second sentence. And yes it would be interesting to see what would happen if you paid them less than they wanted upon arrival. They do not collect any fee or fare at the booth, by the way.

Just a note, as I know you were talking about metered taxi's, when I got a private taxi recently (from domestic), I paid the fare at the private taxi booth.

Just so that visitors to Bangkok don't believe they are also being scammed, I will point out that the taxi fares you quote for Bangkok are not correct. The flag fall of 35 baht only includes the first km and the 5 baht/km rate is only for kilometers 2 through 12. After that the rate increases incrementally with the travelled distance and tops out at 8.5 baht/km. So in Bangkok a 45 km journey would cost 287 baht, not the 225 baht you quote.

On the other hand the airport surcharge is only 50 baht (not 100 baht), unless they have raised it recently smile.png

Sophon

There are multiple sources online and I may have used an old one. This chart shows it at around 250B.

<snipped chart>

That chart is the old fares. New fares started in 2008.

Surprisingly, the ONLY place that I could find the new fares was here: http://www.thaivisa....e-effect-today/

All the "taxi fare calculator" sites that I found were incorrect, highlighted by them saying that it was 35 baht for 2 kms instead of the 1 km that it is now.

It appears the source I quoted is even older than that, as it said 35B for the first 3 km's and 5B each KM after. Nothing about incremental increase.

http://www.thebangko...guide.com/taxis

The link mentions Suvarnabhumi airport and the 35 baht for the first two kilometers were in effect long before that airport was build, so I think that the link is not necessarily all that old but just plain wrong.

This is how the fare would come out for a 45 km trip in Bangkok assuming light traffic (a big assumption, I know) so nothing added for waiting in traffic:

post-5469-0-66380100-1355457346_thumb.jp

Sophon

• Like 1

2 additions:

2) once you exited the arrivals hall you can re-enter, simply use the official entrance. Many, many people do that.

@ noob, when was 'lately'. One month ago there were when a plane arrived only 2 touts inside the terminal, touting car rental. None of the taxi touts were inside, and the prices were very, very clearly displayed.

Lately was in the last two weeks!

To your point 2: restricted area was the problem, not getting back into the building!

2 additions:

To your point 2: restricted area was the problem, not getting back into the building!

Plenty of opportunities to get the quoted 750 Baht outside of that area, just look at all the signs.

2 additions:

Plenty of opportunities to get the quoted 750 Baht outside of that area, just look at all the signs.

I did not notice signs outside of the restricted area. I'm not saying there would not be those.

Anyway dividing the sales to two different areas blocks the competition between the companies which are inside and which are outside. Pretty handy for the business actually.

2 additions:

I did not notice signs outside of the restricted area. I'm not saying there would not be those.

Anyway dividing the sales to two different areas blocks the competition between the companies which are inside and which are outside. Pretty handy for the business actually.

Went from Chalong (no circle) to the airport in the evening.

With the usual jumper at the Central junction, the usual 'direct behind the barrier zone parking cars' on the left side, the usual Pegast Minibuses almost in the trunk, I needed surprisingly a bit less, than an hour.

The way back, past 9pm, was much more relaxed, only a bit more, than 30 minutes.

And yes, no touts in the building.

But there was a big difference, to the last time, with touts inside:

Only a full plane with Koreans plus an Air Asia flight from KL.

The Koreans have their travel agents inside, to pick for the 4 or 5 busloads, also the touts outside had lots of name signs to show.

Not much of a chance, for Taxi touts, I think

Last time, with touts, 2 flights direct from Europe, plus the 747 with lots of transit passengers.

Maybe that is the reason, for touts or no touts, inside?

Also there are 'plenty' of opportunities, to get the quotes, outside the restricted area, but inside the building: Exactly 2 I found, either Exit one, at the pillars:

(I apologize, the picture quality is not so good. A friend mail'd me the pictures. She did them with a phone cam!)

92407670.jpg

Also a warning sign, hidden behind a info board, so that it is almost impossible, to realize, that it is there.

From the text, it usually need to be placed at the exit of the baggage claim, minimum INSIDE the restricted zone. Or it would be, in other countries. (or provinces?) giggle.gif

54787047.jpg

So the question is, why there are placed in the public zone, where only unauthorized services are available?

Also, during my little waiting and exploring time, I realized the Minibus counter, with the meter taxi sign, inside the restricted area, between the exits from the baggage claim.

Anyone ever used that counter, to get a meter taxi? Or a quote for either a fare or a 'estimated' fare (using a meter)?

I remember a time, a friendly girl at the meter counter outside said 'expect 3-350 Baht, that depends on the traffic, plus 100 Baht Airport surcharge.

Maybe inside we can 'have' this ?

Somewhere the officials have to get the answers, they wanna believe.

Edited by noob7

And yes, no touts in the building.

But there was a big difference, to the last time, with touts inside:

Only a full plane with Koreans plus an Air Asia flight from KL.

The Koreans have their travel agents inside, to pick for the 4 or 5 busloads, also the touts outside had lots of name signs to show.

Not much of a chance, for Taxi touts, I think

Last time, with touts, 2 flights direct from Europe, plus the 747 with lots of transit passengers.

Maybe that is the reason, for touts or no touts, inside?

Last time I was there there were many flights arriving from all over the world, Air Berlin, Eva, Jetstar, flights from KL, Singapore, Hong Kong and of course Bangkok, Samui, Chiang Mai, etc., and as mentioned earlier, no taxi touts inside, just 2 rental car touts.

Why not do like so many other places and have a few taxi desks inside the airport. You pay the correct price as per a sign that is visible to everyone, you are issued a voucher which is shown to the driver and you are taken to you destination.

This way, the price can be controlled. The first point of contact for tourist can be well dressed, well spoken, educated Thai's with some language skills, not the taxi criminals. The desk is also where cash is transacted, not with the driver. Any complaints and the voucher number is linked to the driver, who seeks payment at the end of the shift, so he can be reprimanded or not paid. It would straighten them out a little.

So, for example, Phuket Airport to Patong - the sign at the taxi desks states 600 baht. You wait in the que, tell them Patong and your hotel name, they write the voucher, you pay the money to them at the desk and you walk out the door. There is a concierge there to tsight your voucher and escort you to the next taxi due for a passenger where they speak Thai to the driver and you get in.

No one gets mobbed, lied to with "your hotel closed" or ripped off. There is no benefit for them to harrass you because you have already paid inside. There's no haggling, everybody pays the same, so no one feels they were over charged. The drivers would calmly wait outside for their turn. It would bring some order to the place.

The Officials can set the fare at what they think it should be, hopefully that would be something realistic, and tourist would have a better first impression of Phuket and Thailand.

Many airports have a system like this. This system has been in Chiang Mai for years.

Once again, it's what we "should have" here, but all we continue to have is sh*te. sad.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Why not do like so many other places and have a few taxi desks inside the airport. You pay the correct price as per a sign that is visible to everyone, you are issued a voucher which is shown to the driver and you are taken to you destination.

This way, the price can be controlled.

Why control something, that only foreigners have to pay for?

Or with other words:

No one wanna stop a Thai, in Phuket, to make the most possible money from a/the foreigner/s!

To many profiteers in line!

No controlling planed!

Edited by noob7

Or with other words:

No one wanna stop a Thai, in Phuket, to make the most possible money from a/the foreigner/s!

No controlling planed!

Nothing to do with foreigners or not, only with making from money from anybody.

Thais have the same problems with public transport that foreigners do here.

Or with other words:

No controlling planed!

Nothing to do with foreigners or not, only with making from money from anybody.

Thais have the same problems with public transport that foreigners do here.

Yep, but mostly still on a different quote.

As less the Thai is in the customer, as higher the numbers!

Or with other words:

No controlling planed!

We all know the tourism industry on this island is being administered by criminals, for the benefit of other criminals, with the policy of making as much money as possible for the lowest expense. Probably the reason why so many tourists die here.

The thing is, there are many other places in Thailand, and neighbouring countries, that offer the same things as Phuket, but at a reasonable price and without all the BS.

What they are doing here is driving (no pun intended) smile.png the expats and return tourist away, not introducing things to entice them to stay or come back here for a holiday. Hardly sustainable.

Edited by NamKangMan

What they are doing here is driving (no pun intended) smile.png the expats and return tourist away, not introducing things to entice them to stay or come back here for a holiday. Hardly sustainable.

And yet tourist numbers are increasing all the time.

That's Chinese, Russian, Korean and Japanese package holiday tourists. They usually have a coach bus waiting for them and an illegal tour guide to "protect" them from the Thai's. smile.png

Ever seen the Pegasus buses? If only tourist could book an "airport transfer only" package and jump on similar buses. :) :) :)

Most couples or single travelers have to deal with the transport debarcle here, daily. Not a great look for the place, being the World Class tourist desination that it is. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

And yet tourist numbers are increasing all the time.

That's Chinese, Russian, Korean and Japanese package holiday tourists. They usually have a coach bus waiting for them and an illegal tour guide to "protect" them from the Thai's. smile.png

Ever seen the Pegasus buses? If only tourist could book an "airport transfer only" package and jump on similar buses. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Most couples or single travelers have to deal with the transport debarcle here, daily. Not a great look for the place, being the World Class tourist desination that it is. smile.pngsmile.png

'It is' is more a 'it wanna be', for some time already!

Edited by noob7

This way, the price can be controlled. The first point of contact for tourist can be well dressed, well spoken, educated Thai's with some language skills, not the taxi criminals. The desk is also where cash is transacted, not with the driver. Any complaints and the voucher number is linked to the driver, who seeks payment at the end of the shift, so he can be reprimanded or not paid. It would straighten them out a little.

So, for example, Phuket Airport to Patong - the sign at the taxi desks states 600 baht. You wait in the que, tell them Patong and your hotel name, they write the voucher, you pay the money to them at the desk and you walk out the door. There is a concierge there to tsight your voucher and escort you to the next taxi due for a passenger where they speak Thai to the driver and you get in.

No one gets mobbed, lied to with "your hotel closed" or ripped off. There is no benefit for them to harrass you because you have already paid inside. There's no haggling, everybody pays the same, so no one feels they were over charged. The drivers would calmly wait outside for their turn. It would bring some order to the place.

The Officials can set the fare at what they think it should be, hopefully that would be something realistic, and tourist would have a better first impression of Phuket and Thailand.

Many airports have a system like this. This system has been in Chiang Mai for years.

Once again, it's what we "should have" here, but all we continue to have is sh*te. sad.png

I have not had to get a limo from the airport for quite a while now but what you describe is the system I have always used. Don't they still have the desks inside showing the price to each destination? Perhaps problems arise because people think they can save a little money by getting a taxi outside which is when they become ripe for being ripped off.