New Taxi Fares Take Effect Today

george

New taxi fares take effect today

BANGKOK: -- Taxi fares started to rise on Wednesday on the average of 12 per cent per trip although the start-up charge for the first kilometer travelled remains at Bt35.

The new fares came into effect following the today's announcement in the Royal Gazette.

-- The Nation 2008-07-03

Taxi operators reset meters for higher fares

BANGKOK: -- More than 1,000 taxi operators brought their vehicles to have their meters reset after the approved increase in fares was published in the Royal Gazette Wednesday.

The Department of Land Transport works together with Mahanakorn University of Technology on the resetting of the meters.

According to the university dean Sujet Chantarang, it takes about half an hour for the setting, with the price of 200 baht.

Until now, the meter was used only in Bangkok and nearby provinces. Passengers travelling to other provinces had to pay fixed amounts, depending on the distance.

The new rates will start at 35 baht for the first kilometre, not two kilometres as before.

The fares will then be five baht a kilometre for the 2nd-12th kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th-20th kilometres, six baht a kilometre for the 20th-40th kilometres, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th-60th kilometres, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th-80th kilometres and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-03

I find this decision more than reasonable. The difference for us, the customers, it will be almost unnoticeable, but I'm pretty sure that for the taxi guys it will be a long waited push

The drivers are long overdue for a raise and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's been done so sensibly. Many people (myself included) expected a whopping raise in fares when they finally came into effect. But, a small increments is a smarter move because if it was too noticeable some people would stop taking taxis.

While it's a nice thought that more people may take the BTS when possible, but it certainly is crowded and there don't seem to be any plans to remedy that. Right now, a taxi fare is still can end up costing almost the same when a motorcycle is necessary at either end of a BTS trip.

Actually most taxi meters have not yet been adjusted so you are still paying the old rates (they are not allowed to charge more than meter). Easy to check is the 35 baht charge - should change at 1km if adjusted - if only changes at 2km (all I have used up to yesterday) they are at old rates and much appreciate a slight tip (some Thai got asked for 10 baht extra initially but I have not been asked) but do give about that. Now the fleet owners are starting to demand there cut so the drivers are not going to be making much of a windfall.

Actually most taxi meters have not yet been adjusted so you are still paying the old rates (they are not allowed to charge more than meter). Easy to check is the 35 baht charge - should change at 1km if adjusted - if only changes at 2km (all I have used up to yesterday) they are at old rates and much appreciate a slight tip (some Thai got asked for 10 baht extra initially but I have not been asked) but do give about that. Now the fleet owners are starting to demand there cut so the drivers are not going to be making much of a windfall.

Agreed with lopburi above. No taxis I have used since this came into effect have adjusted their meters........ :o I thought they would have all rushed to do this.... strange no?

Not wanting the hassle of owning a car, I depend mostly on taxis. Over the past year I've a serious think about what it would be like if they became scarce just because they couldn't make ends meet. So with this in mind, and the fact of the unfairness of taxi drivers not getting a pay raise in ages, I raised my tipping awhile back by double.

So it's up to them whether or not they want to cut the owners in ;-)

Private firms are charging 500 baht to change - the government sponsored University 200 baht. But the University does not have the software for all meters and will take several weeks to develop it from news reports.

Conrad to Suvarnabhumi yesterday morning, 199 baht. Couldn't tell much difference.

I am sure you were generous and rounded it to an even 200 baht..... :o

220, I almost always pay 10% over the meter, if the driver is decent.