Tons Of Rubbish Dumped Overboard At Sea At Night, Who Cares!

ThaiTrav

The practice of large Navy ships 'dumping rubbish' overboard has been a long standing practice, dating +20 years ago. The crew on Western Naval ships are 'supposed' to sort the garbage into nothing environmentally harmful (petrol, electronics, ect) and just throw over food scraps mainly. BUT we all know that as teenagers, discretion isn't always used.

So, since this is common practice on a ship (aircraft carrier) with +3,500 people on board and having supposed strict regulations...can you only imagine the number of ships/boats in the Eastern Seaboard area that are unsupervised and unregulated?

That may account for the amount of rubbish seen on the shores.

That started with the logboat, and the first skipper who crapped over the side. While there is busy shipping to and from the ports in the Bay of Bangkok, rubbish left on the beach by visitors, and carried out to the sea by rivers must be much more. Modern ships have small crews, they don't produce much garbage. Coupla of years back I lived in a condo at the tiny fishing port at the end of Jomtien. Watched a lot of times fishermen in their small boats throw rubbish overboard. That's odd, because the sea is their livelihood.

I don't think Saudi Arabia was any better. I remember driving across the desert from Riyadh to Al Khobar many years ago. The desert was littered with discarded coke tins and supermarket plastic bags for the entire journey. On my occasional visits to Malaysia I have been impressed with the general standard of cleanliness and tidiness. I think Singapore has the best solution with swingeing fines for non compliance with litter disposal regulations.

Singapore dissapointed me in this regard, it's still a long way from the cleanliness of Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and other places in Europe. A couple of cities have fines for littering, way lower than in Singapore, but most can do without and manage to stay clean nonetheless. They put sufficient manpower in rubbish collection, and that's all the difference.

In Singapore they have something called a Corrective Work Order where all the naughty people have to wear an orange jacket with CWO on the back and have to spend several days cleaning up the rubbish that inevitably

gets thrown down, they could maybe use that idea on the beach here.

Thats a fantastic idea !!!!!:)

I live along Beach Rd, and it is not the "farangs" that leve their trash, it is the Thais. And there are times I have to walk 10- 20minutes before I find a trash bin to get rid of my empty water bottle or other trash. This place is hoples.. (or ting tong when it come to caring about keeping the beach clean for their money maker, the tourist...)

This is simply not true - there are loads of bins, that are emptied daily, along both sides of Beach Rd. On the beach side they are usually the big green dumper type, and a lot of the shops that front onto Beach Rd also have trash bins. Most of the bars in the area will also happily dispose of your rubbish if you ask nicely.

There was a lot of rubbish washed-up on the beach in this area over the last week or so, and a lot of the beach vendors and visitors cooperated to clean it all up.

Sorry mate Beach Rd might be an exception, If you come to Santahip you will see the odd bin way too small for any serious impact of rubbish removal and if you say emptied regularly why then is so much shit still on the ground????

Would someone actually go to a bar, and ask if they could dispose of your trash? Was at Jomtien beach road a couple days ago, and the street was fairly clean of rubbish, but the side walk on the opposite side stunk so bad, in the heat of the day, from all the cooking oil, that is spilled, or dumped. Maybe the small restaurants and carts have no option for disposing of grease. Such a shame, that the people that depend on the beach for their livelihood are the same people that shit in their own yard.