Chrildren And Property Ownership

have a 15 year old son who has thai passport as well as australian citizenship...we will be appling for his identity card at years end and does any one know the situation regarding property ownership rights for him....does he need to be over 18 or 20...can he hold property jointly with my thai wife.

I enquired about this and yes he can own it independantly if you want, so jointly is possible.

the problem arises with age and I cannot remember if it is 15 or 18yo, but basically you or your wife as the guardian would then have to apply for court orders to do anything with the property until he reaches that age.

So what you end up with is a costly court dealing and long time frames to get the simplest things done.

I will try to find an email from lawyer that confirms the age.

I enquired about this and yes he can own it independantly if you want, so jointly is possible.

the problem arises with age and I cannot remember if it is 15 or 18yo, but basically you or your wife as the guardian would then have to apply for court orders to do anything with the property until he reaches that age.

So what you end up with is a costly court dealing and long time frames to get the simplest things done.

I will try to find an email from lawyer that confirms the age.

N&M is correct. Age of maturity in this case 18 years. In practice it is only the sale of the property that leads to the required Court Order.