Thailand Set To Ban Alcohol Sales At Roadside Stalls

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol sales set to be banned at roadside stalls

They should make this ban permenant, not just for the holidays.

Not that anyone will really enforce it anyway. Just extra tea money for the pride of Thailand, the BIB.

yea, i can't believe i'm seeing some of the initial replies...i'm all for freedom, but stopping on the way home from the bar for several more shots of whiskey, before hopping back in the pickup and heading on my way isn't one of them.

sorry, maybe i'm reading this wrong..i'm inferring they're talking about the little roadside bars you see scattered all over the place...not general sale of unopened alcohol..

It's kinda overkill - you can't drink inside vehicles anymore, anyway.

Yes; and you can drink and drive, either.

I'm waiting for cocktail service at intersections, when people wait for the lights to change. I am surprised no one has thought of this angle yet!

• Like 1

Hold on a moment, this must be untrue because 90% of the bars and restaurants that I go to are next to a road.. surely they can't ban alcohol in all of them.

here we go again! when taksin got into office he had a puritan who did the same thing, ban alchol after midnight and the bars in soi nana had to close their doorts! it lasted until the puritan was replaced.

I wonder how many people will surive on the likes of Sukhumvit Road if the uphold this law to the letter. It would be a first right enough but The bars couldn't possibly survive as they don't get busy until after midnight or later and those that sell food will also lose out big time.

Hundreds of Thais who depend on these small stalls all over thailand to make a living will be badly affected.but this eejit would rather do that than pay to police the roads and highways properly and put the fear of life into drivers who think they can drink and drive and get away with it.

These are hard working decent Thai people and deserve better

Can't say I've seen many bars open after midinght on the roadside on the way to the likes of Cha Am but never really had the desire to stop for a beer on the roadsie at 2am while driving. I'm usually too pi$$ed laugh.png JOKE!!!!!

• Like 2

Ban, ban, ban. Ban this, ban that, ban the other. It's a global epidemic. Won't be too long before they run out of stuff to ban, and nobody will be able to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

What is it with these people?

I Live in Chiang Mai Saraphi. Along the highway it is packed with karaokes many of them with roadside bars. Do thy have to close all business cheesy.gif you think they will ?? It's a part of the Thai culture.wai2.gif

Yeah , great! Much better to rob everybodies freedom (even of those who just might hopp in and buy a beer for home) than a) enforce the law on drunk driving and b ) just educate people on the dangers of alcohol.

When will these people finally get it: banning something doesn't make the problem go away. So sells will be made under the table or frpm "private property". People who feel that they need drugs (alcohol just being one of them) WILL get them!

• Like 1

Have always wondered at the "logic" behind banning the sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM. What is the justification behind this law? If it is to discourage students from drinking after school, then surely it would make more sense to enforce a legal drinking age, as opposed to a blanket ban for everyone. whistling.gif

I don't understand this 2-5 pm ban either, just buy enough at 1.55 to get you through to 5 p.m. I can't really see it have any effect on a persons consumption.

• Like 1

here we go again! when taksin got into office he had a puritan who did the same thing, ban alchol after midnight and the bars in soi nana had to close their doorts! it lasted until the puritan was replaced.

His name was Purachai and it lasted until the day after the coup. The closing time used to fluctuate between 12 midnight and 2am depending. Soi Cowboy was the same. Night after the coup, all the bars were open well past 2am.

Cambodia gets more attractive for drinkers by the day.

No draconian enforcement of closing hours (if there are any for bars).

Alcohol is much cheaper (tax is far less, wine is a bargain).

More choice of alcohol available (more wines and spirits available there, especially wines, loads of good wines old world and new).

• Like 1

forget roadside stuff.

all closing is midnight.

More hours of tea money to ignore the openings.

Adds faux appearance of propriety.

Adds tea money for non-enforcement.

Business as usual.

well it's a hell of a statement that all booze sales will be limited to midnight.

if there is one law enacted in the country in the last 10 years that is relatively well enforced it is the booze law.

but saying midnight is a hell of a statement. that said, my local 7 11 wouldn't sell to me at midnight a few weeks ago.

Have always wondered at the "logic" behind banning the sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM. What is the justification behind this law? If it is to discourage students from drinking after school, then surely it would make more sense to enforce a legal drinking age, as opposed to a blanket ban for everyone. whistling.gif

That law was introduced by the post coup administration in paternal manner to prevent middle class school kids drinking, kids from poor families are unlikely to be able to afford beer. It originally applied to all outlets, yet was amended later to only businesses with foreign ownership, meaning that foreign owned bars were restricted whilst a Thai owned bar next door was not. Therefore macro, lotus, big c, 711 were unable to sell a alcohol during those times. Better to police age limits, encourage responsible alcohol consumption and actual driving rules.

Many years ago, an uncle of my wife, the only car in the village, offered to drive us some 400km to visit another branch of the family. Every half hour or so he stopped, my belief was a weak bladder, after 3 or 4 stops I told my wife he was either blind or blind drunk and to stop the car and tell him either I was driving or we were going no further. This was at 7.00 am. I drove. It is a common situation and these new alcohol measures will make little difference where village stores sell Lao kao by the shot.

Are you sure? I recall that it was made by Thaksin, but I could be wrong.

I don't understand this 2-5 pm ban either, just buy enough at 1.55 to get you through to 5 p.m. I can't really see it have any effect on a persons consumption.

Indeed, but I can't count the number of times I've stopped by the market on the way home from work and ever so briefly felt like buying a bottle of wine/a few beers for the evening, but then rolled my eyes immediately upon checking my watch to see it's only 10 after 4. rolleyes.gif

That law was introduced by the post coup administration in paternal manner to prevent middle class school kids drinking, kids from poor families are unlikely to be able to afford beer. It originally applied to all outlets, yet was amended later to only businesses with foreign ownership, meaning that foreign owned bars were restricted whilst a Thai owned bar next door was not. Therefore macro, lotus, big c, 711 were unable to sell a alcohol during those times. Better to police age limits, encourage responsible alcohol consumption and actual driving rules.

Many years ago, an uncle of my wife, the only car in the village, offered to drive us some 400km to visit another branch of the family. Every half hour or so he stopped, my belief was a weak bladder, after 3 or 4 stops I told my wife he was either blind or blind drunk and to stop the car and tell him either I was driving or we were going no further. This was at 7.00 am. I drove. It is a common situation and these new alcohol measures will make little difference where village stores sell Lao kao by the shot.

I believe it was one of Thaksin's cronies as well....i think it was the Minister of the Interior at the time that introduced all the alcohol regulations back around 2002.

Nothing will change IMO, the sellers will just keep the beers out of sight but when asked they will proving refreshing beverages to their customers.

yeah like beer in the sprite bottles on someone I won't mentions birthday.whistling.gif

...or the coffee mugs and plastic cups on every Buddhist- lent day!

• Like 1

Stop at midnight on ALL alcohol sales??

Many of us do not go out until late and love a good session until about 2 in the morning when the music stops.

This is a crazy law they are weanting to implement.

If they want to stop accidents, use the breatherliser laws and enforce them. One people KNOW they cannot drink and drive, they will stop.

• Like 2

MAKRO will be quiet in the mornings.

Actually it doesn't mention removing the 10 litre exemption - which is there so that restaurants, hotels, etc can restock in the morning.

So I guess as long as they buy more than 10L MAKRO will be the same as always.

Cheers

I believe it was one of Thaksin's cronies as well....i think it was the Minister of the Interior at the time that introduced all the alcohol regulations back around 2002.

I remember it was a Thaksin government. I also recall that the coup government canceled the ban of alcohol on Kings birthday.