Our Yearly Stay On Samui, What's New?

saweden

We are returning to Samui every winter between Jan-Mar for the forth year now. I've read the forum quite often but would anyone kindly sum up what would be good to know for a loyal visiting couple in their mid 30s? Any new good restaurants, bars, gyms, events/festivals or anything else happening in Jan, Feb and Mar? There has been some writings about taxi system changes, how has that unfolded?

Also I'd love some tips on how to get around without a motorbike/car. We've never been involved in an accident ourselves but whiteness'ed enough things to be put off riding a motorbike on the island. As for driving a car, it seems awkward with parking spaces and such.

We stay in Fisherman's village this time so we will have our favourite area nearby, but what is the best way to get to places like Chaweng beach/road Chaweng Noi and Choeng Mon from there without a motorbike?

Thanks in advance for any useful info. :)

Anyway, regards the motorbike situation, they cheapest option would be to find and rent an old jeep. You will get a very good deal for a three month rental and although they are not a great ride they are relatively safe.

You will also find numerous new restaurants that produce very good food at reasonable prices.

Edited by PoorSucker
Unhelful quote removed

Options are

Songteow - long wait and pay per person

Taxi - more expensive, especially over a longer time. The best bet here - find one near where you are staying and if he/she seems OK - get their number and try to use them exclusively. I have the number of a guy in Choengmon, but you should find someone closer to Bophut.

Jeep/car - parking is only a problem if you go to Chewang. When I go to Chewang, I always dump the car next to the lake at MacDonalds. I then walk through to reach my destination. You should have parking where you are staying in Bophut. If you are staying four weeks or longer - a monthly rental is the cheapest option.

Chinese New year Feb 10th - dragon dancing. Temples will be busy on Makha Bucha day 11th March. I am sure that there are others but I cannot think of them sad.png

For latest food choices

http://www.thaivisa....deuropean-food/

My favourite restauant is Ocean 11 in Bangrak

Edited by PoorSucker
Referens to unhelful post removed
  • Like 1

The situation regarding taxis is such that it's cheaper to hire a jeep for the day to go shopping than it is to do the same thing by taxi. It could even be cheaper to do it by jetski.

Whoa - you are stretching it a bit there regarding the jetski! Especially if it gets scratched by a Tesco trolley. rolleyes.gif

You are spot on re the taxi charges. 400 (?) baht EACH way for a taxi Bophut to Teasco. 700 baht per day (daily rate - 15,000 baht per month or less) for a jeep. The jeep should be insured as well - motorbikes are not insured - not are jetskis. wai.gif

The situation regarding taxis is such that it's cheaper to hire a jeep for the day to go shopping than it is to do the same thing by taxi. It could even be cheaper to do it by jetski.

Whoa - you are stretching it a bit there regarding the jetski! Especially if it gets scratched by a Tesco trolley. rolleyes.gif

You are spot on re the taxi charges. 400 (?) baht EACH way for a taxi Bophut to Teasco. 700 baht per day (daily rate - 15,000 baht per month or less) for a jeep. The jeep should be insured as well - motorbikes are not insured - not are jetskis. wai.gif

Naw ! tongue.png

Rent a buffalo to get to the beach or shopping or a surf board to get around .... just as pictured here biggrin.png

Perhaps could put skate board wheels on the surf board.... to do dry land areas . whistling.gif

or just use your feet MSN-Emoticon-130.gif

Other than that there are some new buildings around the island, and some not there anymore w00t.gif Same same but different~!!!! biggrin.png

post-85461-0-11882700-1355379809_thumb.j

post-85461-0-88810800-1355379859_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hypothetically speaking regarding the jetski.

Would cost me (Lamai) 1000 Baht return to go shopping in Tesco Chaweng, Big C or Makro. Jeep would cost me 600 max plus fuel. Monthly I'd say I could get a beat up old war horse jeep for 10k. I wish quad bikes were legal for road use as I'd buy one of those yesterday.

"Four wheels and a roof" should be the minimum consideration by anyone hiring any mode of self-drive transport here.

Re taxi's; a couple recently paid THB 200 to go from the tourist police office to Big C by yellow peril, a distance of less than 1km.

Re taxi's; a couple recently paid THB 200 to go from the tourist police office to Big C by yellow peril, a distance of less than 1km.

Minimum charge.... That has changed as of late because it used to be 300.

...only applies if the meter had actually been used.

Edited by evadgib

That's what I thought NMS. My first reaction was that 200 baht was a good price! How sad is that?

That's what I thought NMS. My first reaction was that 200 baht was a good price! How sad is that?

Step in the right direction I suppose. Was out and had a few too many so decided on a taxi back rather than phone up my mototaxi mate as I shouldn't even be a passanger in the state I was in. It was written on a board some place in Lamai but no idea where.

the poster has n't replied so maybe a troll having a bad day.he/she does n't want to ride a bike,hire a car so i guess a pushbike is out.I suggest stay just in fisherman village and enjoy being a pedestrian.

seriously, if they come every year for 3 months between dec and march then they surely know the score.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

the poster has n't replied so maybe a troll having a bad day.he/she does n't want to ride a bike,hire a car so i guess a pushbike is out.I suggest stay just in fisherman village and enjoy being a pedestrian.

seriously, if they come every year for 3 months between dec and march then they surely know the score.

Why am I a troll because I haven't replied? sad.png I'm reading every answer to find something that would help me. I'm also pretty busy with work and xmas to-do's.

We don't "know the score" and that's why I posted here. Because up until now we've rented an apartment up in the hills near Phu Chaweng and always traveled by motorbike to anywhere we wanted to go.

This is the first time we've decided we won't use a motorbike. We will stay in Fisherman's and walk yes, but we won't bloody walk to Chaweng from there! cheesy.gif

So considering the answers, the taxi is a big no, we should rent an old jeep or ask a local for drives. We could also go by boat, jetski or a buffalo (and you call me a troll...)

So my next question would be: What do we call these? --------> http://www.knowphuke...rt_tuktuk_1.jpg and why does nobody suggest them? Dangerous? And if so, more dangerous than a motorbike?

Thanks again

Edited by saweden

So my next question would be: What do we call these? --------> http://www.knowphuke...rt_tuktuk_1.jpg and why does nobody suggest them? Dangerous? And if so, more dangerous than a motorbike?

songthaew (two benches), they are OK daytime, but charges same as taxis night-time.

I thought that it was -

Look at the sign on the front. If it heads in your direction, flag it down and board. Ring the bell when you want to alight. (Like a bus without bus stops). Also like a bus - can be hours before you see one and then 3 come at the same time.

If you flag it down and ask "do you go to Chewang?" or "how much to Lamai?" Then it becomes a taxi.

Does this change at night time?

Look at the sign on the front. If it heads in your direction, flag it down and board. Ring the bell when you want to alight. (Like a bus without bus stops). Also like a bus - can be hours before you see one and then 3 come at the same time.

If you flag it down and ask "do you go to Chewang?" or "how much to Lamai?" Then it becomes a taxi.

It has to act and charge [sic] as a bus before 8 (it was 8 but may have changed). After that they are private hire so can act as a bus (yeah right) or charge what they want. Don't have to have a meter either.... no that it means anything on Samui.

It has to act and charge [sic] as a bus before 8 (it was 8 but may have changed). After that they are private hire so can act as a bus (yeah right) or charge what they want. Don't have to have a meter either.... no that it means anything on Samui.

Thank you for the update - I didn't know the 8 pm bit. Mind you - I've only ridden in one once - chasing some pratt that did a hit and run on my jeep. He charge me 400 baht. (I had forgotten that little episode!)

Thank you for the update - I didn't know the 8 pm bit. Mind you - I've only ridden in one once - chasing some pratt that did a hit and run on my jeep. He charge me 400 baht. (I had forgotten that little episode!)

Did you catch him?

The songthaews work out cheaper if a group of people are out together of an evening. Handy if you are moving house too as the driver generally knows a couple of nongs he can bring along to do the donkey work and you only have to pay them 100-150 Baht each. 150 Baht for an hours work is a good rate for many.

Did you catch him?

The songthaews work out cheaper if a group of people are out together of an evening. Handy if you are moving house too as the driver generally knows a couple of nongs he can bring along to do the donkey work and you only have to pay them 100-150 Baht each. 150 Baht for an hours work is a good rate for many.

Yes - I caught her and she paid for the repairs. thumbsup.gif

Back to the OP - rent a jeep or a small car. Quite cheap by the month. (Compared to the alternatives.)

Samui being such a small place is a great shame that gettting from A-B is a major problem, rent a jeep as suggested, its the only way to go unless you want to triple your budget to include taxis.Maybe in another 50 years they may allow buses or cheap songtaews like Pattaya.