Gas Going Down Twice As Fast....

freedomnow

Gas going down twice as fast....or so it seems.

My g/f's scooter had a problem with getting going from stationary with the two us on it.....we took it to mechanic and sure enough the kick is now there to get going from stationary...but now we feel the gas is going down twice as quick with no visible leaks.

Any ideas from the motorbike gurus ? Has the scooter repair guy caused this ?

What is your KPL now? Could someone be stealing your gas?

No chance of siphoning. Safe in grounds at night. It was straight after the engine tweak that we noticed going to the gas station much more frequently.I just took a note on the clock after filling it full to see how it compares to scooter published KPL.

OK As we don't know what was changed other than maybe the belt, that shoots down most of my possible ideas!

I guess the mechanic could have changed a jet size but that would be very unusual for a routine service or fix. This could be checked after a while by checking the spark plug colour.

Are you riding any faster now it goes better and the new found performance is being used? Or as it is now trouble free, It is being ridden more frequently?

Have you switched to E10 or E?? you will get less mileage per unit volume?

All I can suggest is you monitor KPL and compare to others to see if abnormal.

Edited by VocalNeal

If it's an automatic, the autoclutch can be adjusted for more power but less efficiency. I went from a "4" to a "6" and noticed improved power but worse KPL.

That was my first choice, well at least changed to the CVT rather than the clutch. as I don't know to what 4 and 6 refer.

According to the OP we've ruled out increased rpm. So that is out.

If it's an automatic, the autoclutch can be adjusted for more power but less efficiency. I went from a "4" to a "6" and noticed improved power but worse KPL.

Thanks vocalneal. Belt/bearings and some form of tweaking was done.Use same gasohol 95 as before.

Also what NonmadJoe says sounds about right as it is an automatic.

Will monitor it next few days...riding just about same amount time with improved power from stationary.

Edited by freedomnow

That was my first choice, well at least changed to the CVT rather than the clutch. as I don't know to what 4 and 6 refer.

According to the OP we've ruled out increased rpm. So that is out.

Neither did I, but I took a look at the clutch system when they had it apart and I kinda understand how it works now. The number system as it was described to me refers to the either the diameter or the weight (I'm not sure) of several little rollers that effect the radius at which the belt travels around the crankshaft which is constantly adjusting on an automatic scooter as needed. According to my mechanic these clutch rollers are numbered. The size or weight of them effect power and efficiency. The higher the number the more power, the lower the number the better the KPL.

variator.jpg

Ok That is the variator, not the clutch. I understand that as I dabble in aftermarket variators. It was what #4 and #6 referred to that puzzled me. Simply put the weights effect the rpm at which the engine is allowed turn during acceleration and cruising. The lighter the weight the higher the RPM, the heavier the weight the lower the RPM. This of course has to be matched with the characteristics of the engine and counter spring in the rear pulley. Usually the weights are classified in grams. I have some old model Honda Click weights in a box of bits under my desk. They might be 6 grams but to go from 6 to 4 would be a 30% change, which is huge. 10-15% would be the range on a larger scooter.

I doubt the weights on the OP's ride were changed without his knowledge but as he said the rpm doesn't seem any different.

• 2 months later...

My gas consumption seems to have increased also. I'm parked in the driveway at night, so no theft issues. With 41,000 on the clock I think it's time for maintenance. The last belt, plug, and air filter change was at 20,000.

When I went in for an estimate yesterday, the Honda dealer told me I had to change the weights in the variator when I changed the belt. He said that the bike would not run smoothly if I didn't.

He also tried to charge me a "service fee", but he could not explain what would be done for the "service".

My questions are, do I need new weights, or is the guy just trying to build a big ticket?

Is there any other possible reason my gas mileage has decreased?

It's a 2010 Honda PCX

Thanks!

Oh darn! I thought this topic was about fuel prices DROPPING somewhere. I don't have clue about my fuel consumption. I just know it uses more fuel when I drive in the city as compared to riding on the highway. Bikes use so little fuel when compared to trucks and cars that I just fill up after every 100 km and don't worry about the consumption or cost.

It's a 2010 Honda PCX

Thanks!

Have you just switched to gasohol? The misses car seems to be going thru it faster than the regular 91 that we used to use

It's a 2010 Honda PCX

Thanks!

Have you just switched to gasohol? The misses car seems to be going thru it faster than the regular 91 that we used to use

I usually run 91 gasohol, sometimes 95.

It's a 2010 Honda PCX

Thanks!

Not that then...dirty air filter?

It's a 2010 Honda PCX

Thanks!

That's what I am thinking, maybe the plug too. It's time for a change anyway.

The other question I am curious about is why is the salesman at the Honda dealer trying to get me to change the rollers in the variator when I change the belt. I've changed the belt twice before and nobody's said that to me.

That's what I am thinking, maybe the plug too. It's time for a change anyway.

The other question I am curious about is why is the salesman at the Honda dealer trying to get me to change the rollers in the variator when I change the belt. I've changed the belt twice before and nobody's said that to me.

The manual doesn't mention the drive belt but does mention the gear oil (replace every two years) and to inspect the 'clutch shoes' every 8k ???

post-90070-0-24142700-1362458491_thumb.j

Thanks,no brake light problem.

About 25kpl in town after monitoring the scooter with lots of stop/starts.

Its kick or better fuel economy.

We need the kick (combined weight 150KG oops!) so fair enough !

whens the last time you changed the oil? some of this cheap oil is really terrible.

No, not transmission slippage. That would include engine revs without the same forward motion I'm use to. I think it's "breath-ability" so I will change the filter and see what reaction I get from the bike.

Nellie, is that the gear oil in the back tire? I change that every other oil change.

No, not transmission slippage. That would include engine revs without the same forward motion I'm use to. I think it's "breath-ability" so I will change the filter and see what reaction I get from the bike.

Nellie, is that the gear oil in the back tire? I change that every other oil change.

Yeah that's the one...wouldn't call it the back tyre but know what you mean

Low tire pressure can add allot of drag.

Did the mechanic adjust the brakes? Could be some drag there too.

Is there a chance the mechanic swapped your original carb out for a dodgy one?

It's fuel injected, and there were no brake adjustments so those two are not the problem. I watch the pressure myself since some people like to over-inflate them. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the air filter, but we'll see in a week or two.

gotta be the weights in the variator, or they may have scraped off the limiting notches on the stock variator. Bike's climbing faster do to a different ratio , and working at a higher rpm.

gotta be the weights in the variator, or they may have scraped off the limiting notches on the stock variator. Bike's climbing faster do to a different ratio , and working at a higher rpm.

I got an after market variator 20,000 ago. Do those weights wear down over time, and would it be time for replacement at 20,000k?

I got an after market variator 20,000 ago. Do those weights wear down over time, and would it be time for replacement at 20,000k?

i think Vocalneal would have a better answer for you, im sure he'll chime in any moment now.