Trying To Learn Motorbike (Advice Needed)

terrification

I would say learn slowly. I hadn't done above 50 km on a motorbike when I came here, now I ride all sorts as often as possible.

Start with a twist and go scooter. They are easy to ride as you know, which means you can concentrate on other vehicles, which you really need to in Bangkok, and on turning and signalling at the right time, which is also important.

Get a little clutch bike. I've got a nice Honda 2 stroke. It cost me 8,000 THB 3 years ago and has never been any problems at all. I've ridden it all over the place.

Then step up to a big bike. A D Tracker isn't really much more powerful than my little Honda, but it is a lot bigger, and will take a lot more concentration weaving through traffic in Bangkok.

Get yourself out of Bangkok and really learn everything on a quiet road somewhere. Stopping, turning, moving, standing etc. Practice until it all becomes second nature.

I agree completely. I would be certain to first find that nearly deserted parking lot at some off-hour and take a piece of chalk with me. I'd mark off a slalom course with marks about 3 meters apart so I could practice weaving through them using countersteering. I'd put or find a mark on the pavement that I could use to practice braking at it. I'd keep braking until I had the best feel for it. I'd find something to turn sharp circles around, alternately riding the rear brake and slipping the clutch to maintain balance. using the same technique I'd learn to do a sharp U-turn. I'd get up to about 30 mph and practice making wider turns using countersteering. At all times I would make it a habit to not look down but rather keep my balance by looking up and forward.

In my teaching experience, it takes most riders, even experienced riders who are new to the techniques about 4 hours to begin to be able to do these things reasonably well. After that it's just practice, but it can now be on the street.

I cringe when riders hit the streets with no idea of these concepts, much less a bit of practice at it. They can't stop well, they can't dodge things, they can't slowly weave around things, they can't make a decent U-turn... It's scary.

Are CBR400RRs and GSX400RRs impractical in traffic? Quite tempted after going through the classifieds. Heard the GSXs have power levels.

you can ride any size of bike in bangkok once you know how to ride

i have a garage full of bikes from 125cc scooters right up to 1300cc and the best weapon

to get around sukhumvit rush hour and everywhere else thats jam packed is a small scooter

you dont want to be on a big bike to sit roasting your <deleted> off in a traffic jam

thats moving at 3km per hour ,using 5 times as much gas as everyone else on their honda waves

to go at the same speed

even a 400cc gsxr is overkill for commuting the distance youre talking about but it could be done easily if you

plan on bringing it to the track as well on weekends

I have mixed feelings about it. If I could have only one bike, I'd have to decide if it was for traffic commute only, or also for some trips. Then, if I chose the small bike for local commute, I wouldn't feel as safe as if I had more mass and weight around me.

As for needing to be strong to ride a big bike, it doesn't work that way. In the video above of the police officers on big bikes, it's apparent that they are using technique, not strength. At the end the officer is able to hold the bike almost stopped without putting a foot down. It's about letting the bike do the work, and putting one foot down when stopping, and keeping the balance. The thing that makes me tired riding a bike, and it does, is just being out in the open in the sun and wind, and the vibrations and wind noise, and bumps compared to a car. A 500 mile ride will always tire me compared to a car even on the best highway.

I know I would be more relaxed and rested on a big bike after a trip of any distance.

It's difficult to advice,

on the one hand, a simple scooter is hand-made for commuting in the traffic misery of BKK, and cheaper to buy, drive, and crash with.

OTOH you definitely give the impression of wanting an experience, (like a racer bike)

and it would be great if you can enjoy driving bike.

But for me, there's no way i will enjoy driving in either BKK or Pattaya,

traffic jam & hazards are too great for that,

and then to top it off the police crooks routinely makes false allegations in order

to extort money for various "offenses", even if the law itself contradict what they claim is law

Terrification - Riding in traffic, and riding a motorbike are too different things...

Riding in traffic requires much less rider skill - speeds are lower, you are going too slow to need to worry about cornering skills and such... you need to be more worried about how to stay away from taxis, not getting between a bus and the kerb...

It will take a long time before you are able to easily 'filter' through traffic like all the Thai riders that grew up with a motorbike between their legs...

As YYY123 said above the ideal bike is most likely an automatic scooter with as big wheels as you can get - maybe the Honda PCX - big wheels ride over holes better, and don't get caught in cracks in the raod and such... full size motorbikes have full size handlebars - which prevent you squeezing between cars...

Rather than the Honda Big Bike course, which I assume will be all about cornering and braking at speed... I would think your needs would be better suited to a starters course aimed at scooters...

If you do go for a 'big bike' I would probably stay away from a 2 stroke, as they are harder to ride, because you always need to rev them extra hard, and need to always be in the correct gear...

Once you have all of that, maybe a couple of world championships under your belt - either Superbikes or MotoGP - then you can graduate to Harleys, which NeverSure would have you believe don't feature in any serious race class, only because Casey Stoner isn't skilled enough to ride one...

Edited by Daewoo

IMHO linked brakes such as on the PCX etc., are a great idea. As we know, in urban areas here, cars and bikes not only pull out from roads in front of you but also from alleys and driveways. You simply don't have time to carry out controlled braking and the C-ABS could mean the difference between walking away or a chauffeured trip to the hospital, or worse. Any well developed safety aid is worth having.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

PCX's are rather expensive aren't they?

I found one on craigslist for 50k.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/3383971160.html

Unfortunately, it's been hit so I don't know how that works out.

It doesn't really look that comfortable, I rode a Suzuki Skydrive at Chiang Mai and I think that worked quite well.

I am of a bit larger stature than most people here though, 6'1, 90 kg (all fat)

@poanoi

It's unfortunate, it get's very tempting to get something fast when you look at Diavels and 1098s roar out of a Ducati showroom.

I see a lot of ducatis on sundays.

Being 21 doesn't help.

I have been noticing some bikes don't have green books, stay away?

Some very pretty Yamahas, SR400 and TW200 don't have green books.

Wait, let me break this down.

The safest path is to buy some motorcycling gear and ride a scooter?

It won't be wise to get any sort of motorcycle?

I am sorry but I don't know my age and all that peer pressure is really interfering with the scooter decision.

Also I don't need to carry anything or anyone.

Edited by terrification

Something about this thread doesn't seem right to me, a bit trollish but I can't see where the bait is.

To the OP,

To help your decision, answer the following questions:

1) What's your budget?

2) What is the main purpose of the bike?

3) Will you be mostly riding in the city or on long trips outside Bangkok?

4) Do you have a motorbike licence?

5) Do you drive a car? If so, automatic or manual shift?

6) What sort of mileage will you clock a month on average?

7) Would you know how to do any repairs yourself?

8) Do you have enough money to spend on expensive repairs or will you be able to afford just the regular somchai down the road?

I'll just put them in there.

Something about this thread doesn't seem right to me, a bit trollish but I can't see where the bait is.

I don't know what is the bait either. Maybe the 'first bike' bit.

To the OP,

To help your decision, answer the following questions:

1) What's your budget?

200k really, I initially wanted to buy a BMW E30 Coupe with an SR20 in it, those go for 170k, I had a 100k regular E30 sedan but I got bored of its pace.

2) What is the main purpose of the bike?

A short 5 A.M and 7 P.M commute, small errands around the city time to time,entertainment, and a stepping stone to riding a super bike on a track. I just want to know what it's like.

3) Will you be mostly riding in the city or on long trips outside Bangkok?

Mostly city and track days, but if possible I'd like to ride on open roads. So far it seems unlikely.

4) Do you have a motorbike licence?

Nope.

5) Do you drive a car? If so, automatic or manual shift?

Yes, an automatic 2007 Camry.

6) What sort of mileage will you clock a month on average?

So far probably around 200 km or less.

7) Would you know how to do any repairs yourself?

I don't know but I know some repair shops and I'd like to learn.

8) Do you have enough money to spend on expensive repairs or will you be able to afford just the regular somchai down the road?

As long as it's reasonable and I don't find myself pouring over 30k a year in repairs. But again, it depends if I even like the two wheeled transport, I am biased. I don't think anyone wants to dump money in their scooter but they'd be very happy to dump money in a prized motorcycle.

Edited by terrification

Or you can just buy a 9000 baht scooter and go from there.

It doesnt dig a hole in your pocket so you can still buy another bike if you really, really want to,

it's convenient to have a backup bike anyway

I am probably going to dig a hole with riding gear. Lol

I got to get gloves, boots, Kevlar jeans,mesh or leather jacket and a back protector

I just don't want to be disabled because I didn't do my part.