Permanent Residency Application Query

Their is a clause in the rules for getting PR that is for those who are over 50 and have Thai wives to get it without working. I suspect though that the application would not be accepted.

It would be like the clause for those who are working and allows for a combined income of 30K a month not being accepted.

See 3.3.1 of this document: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/26122546_regulation_notice_en.pdf

Whilst I have all the info I need on the requirements for applying for PR (immigration website). I cannot find anything that stipulates the conditions in maintaining a PR once successful.

There are a number of different methods of application (investor, business, spouse) and it would be really helpful if there was a list/ policy on how each of them are successfully held.

Regarding the lawyer I accept that I can do it myself and he is just not interested now. I will look at trying to agree a reduced fee with him to cut off his services from now.

once you've got it, the only real condition is that you effectively make Thailand your home and remain a law abiding citizen.

You can not for instance, leave Thailand for more than 364 days - as your re-entry permit is only valid for one year. So you must return for at least one day and renew the re-entry permit if you are looking to leave again. Stay away for more than one year and your PR effectively lapses and you are back to square one.

If you never leave Thailand again, you can stay forever with no further conditions attached to your stay apart from remaining a law abiding citizen.

The only thing to be careful of is having a re-entry permit in your passport if you need to travel at short notice. From friends who have PR it can take 2 or 3 days to process. If you leave with no-rentry permit, your PR is cancelled.

Is the Re-entry process for a PR different than a non - PR, if so who provides re-entry permits and can these be had at the airport on the way out of the country like for non - PR?

The re-entry permit for a PR-holder is indeed different and it costs more. In addition you can not get it at the airport, as far as I'm aware.

You also use a different form to apply.

Thanks for the info, so much for having more rights as a PR holder. But I guess it would only be once a year. It is still done at immigration?

The re-entry permit for a PR-holder is indeed different and it costs more. In addition you can not get it at the airport, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the info, so much for having more rights as a PR holder. But I guess it would only be once a year. It is still done at immigration?

In the age of international travel, you are right. Ulitmately though, if you never go anywhere, you can stay as long as you want without need for a reentry permit. Would be much better if there was a little more flexibilty - aka Australia or UK where slightly longer periods (say 2 years) without endangering PR status.

Actually, the annual cost of remaining in Thailand as a Temporary Resident (i.e. a Non-Immigrant) or as a Permanent Resident are comparable.

Temporary Resident:

Annual Extension of Stay: 1,900 baht

Re-Entry Permit: 1,000 baht (single re-entry) or 3,800 (multiple re-entry)

Permanent Resident:

Endorsement of Certificate of Residence: 1,900 baht

Non-Quota Immigrant Visa (not to be confused with a Non-Immigrant Visa): 1,900 baht (single entry) or 3,800 baht (multiple entry).

So assuming multiple overseas trips are required in a year, both cost 5,700 baht. One difference is that even if the applicant never leaves Thailand, the Temporary Resident must obtain an annual Extension of Stay whereas the Permanent Resident doesn't have to do anything.