Hat Yai Visa Run

Hi,

We (family of 4) need to extend our tourist visa by 15 days. We plan to arrive in Hat Yai in the morning (on an overnight train). My question is, can we do the visa run first thing in the morning and be back in time to catch the ferry to Koh Bulon on the same day?

Can we just walk out of the train station and hire a mini van to take us to Pedang Besar (I think that's where we go)? Any insights or tips are greatly appreciated!

Trying to get a taxi/minibus at the train station would be good: private transport, going to the Border, maybe even driving with the taxi bus around, and no delay, b/c no waiting for the bus back.

'cause usually the mini buses to Pedang Basar going from the busterminal.

http://goo.gl/maps/eBXvz

On the left side of the long building, close to the toilets, are the ticket counter. 50 baht/each way(I think) = 200

Mostly the bus back is 2 hours after starting in Hatyai: ~1h ride, 20 minutes border, 40 minutes walking (5min) to the bus 'station' and waiting for the bus back to Hatyai

PLUS another h driving time!

~3h+ in total

The train arrives at another location:

http://goo.gl/maps/55uzS

That would need a taxi to the bus station.

Probably another 4x50 baht or so.

I have no idea, how much a private Taxi would charge you, from Hat Yai to the border, Its about 60km, both ways 120km, so 1500, as a guess.

Where you wanna take the ferry? Pak Barra ? Check, if there is a option, to take the taxi/minibus all the way, Hatyai, Border, Ferry.

Maybe thinking about taking (if good weather) a longtail boat? About 30-40 minutes, I got told

I have no idea, how the schedule via Koh Lippe is!

Edited by noob7

What kind of visa do you have? A real tourist visa for 60 days or a visa exempt entry you got at the airport?

If you have a real toruist visa, you can extend it by 30 days at an immigraiton office for 1,900 baht per person.

4 times 1900, that is probably all the cost plus a big leftover in the pocket, even after doing the visa run via Hat Yai, during there trip to Koh Bulon

jm2c

Thanks everyone,

We have 60 day tourist visas in Canadian passports. We actually only need 2 or 3 extra days (to make Koh Bulon worthwhile) so are trying to find the most affordable and easy way to stay before flying out of KL.

Does anyone know of a company that would take us to the border from the Hat Yai train station and then transfer us to the ferry at Pak Barra? Is this the best option? Then perhaps I can get a quote to see if it's just cheaper to pay to extend the visas.

Or can we overstay by 2 days and then fly out of Hat Yai and pay the fine? Is that easy to do? I understand we can't leave Thailand with visas that have expired from Koh Lipe...

Thanks again

Does anyone know of a company that would take us to the border from the Hat Yai train station and then transfer us to the ferry at Pak Barra? Is this the best option? Then perhaps I can get a quote to see if it's just cheaper to pay to extend the visas.

Or can we overstay by 2 days and then fly out of Hat Yai and pay the fine? Is that easy to do? I understand we can't leave Thailand with visas that have expired from Koh Lipe...

Thanks again

Check this out:

http://www.kohlipethailand.com/travel_info_hat_yai_and_pak_barra.php

Usually, the overstaying, for 2 days, would make it 4000 Baht fine for 4x2x500Baht. And could be easily done, at the Airport. And, if the kids are under 14

(http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/594582-which-age-of-exemption-of-overstay-fine-fot-children-provide-some-links/), it should be even cheaper.

The 'only' risk is, that you get caught (checked), before the Airport. I think, the risk is little, but it is a risk. The south is a bit under surveillance, it's a two hour drive, you may have to show passports at the hotel check in, they may check on the visa.

Probably b/c of a tight schedule, I would try to arrange something beforehand. Call some agents in Hat Yai, with pickup at the railway station.

In case, you pay for the minibus about 4 or 5000 Baht, it would be still a good price!

The public minibuses to/from border, Hat Yai-Pak Barra would be around 1000, I think.

3 or 4k more, for quick and direct service.

And you baggage don't need to be moved a lot, too!

If the family of 4 includes children under the age of 14 they would not be charged for overstay.

It seems to me that 30 day extension might be the best thing to do. You can do it at any immigration office during the last 30 days of your 60 day entry. That means you could do it before you make the train trip.

Thanks everyone. So, if we arrive by train in Hat Yai and head to the immigration office at the airport we can extend our visas for 1900bht correct? Will they make us pay to extend our kids visas as well (they are 5 and 7) considering they don't get charged for an overstay? This would be ideal as we could then leave Thailand via Langkawi and avoid the hassle of doing a border run...

Thanks again.

<p>Here is what you do...this is the cheapest/best option, not necc your dream option:

Arrive in Hat Yai

Walk to my favorite cheap gh in Thailand - Cathay GH

Drop your bags and walk to the HY bus terminal

Book mv to Pak Bara (see below)

Arriving at the terminal, book minivan to Pedang Besar (b50)

The driver will tell you where to alight

Go thru Thai immigration

Walk down the hill

Go thru Malay immigration

Walk up the hill

Go thru Thai immigration

Cross the street and flag any big orange bus down

Less than b50 back to HY, about 1hr++

Alight somewhere in HY. Try to enlist ticket lady for help.

DO NOT GO OVER THE BRIDGE TO THE OTHER SIDE OF HY

Make your way back to Cathay GH

Minivans that run to PB are from the new outer mv terminal BUT...

Just book 4pax direct at Cathay GH (upstairs w/hotel is cheaper) to Pak Bara early am. When taken into consideration getting 1 let alone 4 pax out to new station, it is a good value for you

THAT is your answer...BangkokBurning accept no.immitations. Some people know, some just fake it

Edited by bangkokburning

Thanks everyone. So, if we arrive by train in Hat Yai and head to the immigration office at the airport we can extend our visas for 1900bht correct? Will they make us pay to extend our kids visas as well (they are 5 and 7) considering they don't get charged for an overstay? This would be ideal as we could then leave Thailand via Langkawi and avoid the hassle of doing a border run...

Thanks again.

My suggestion was that you do extensions before making your trip to Hat Yai. Where are you at now?

You cannot do extensions at airport immigration.

It is up to you whether you get extensions for the children or not.

Thanks again.

My suggestion was that you do extensions before making your trip to Hat Yai. Where are you at now?

You cannot do extensions at airport immigration.

It is up to you whether you get extensions for the children or not.

In case, they are not in the same room/area/visible, during the extension for the parents, methinks! Would need a Nanny, wouldn't it?

Immigration will often advise no extension required even if they are with you - more paperwork for them and you.

Ok, that's interesting news, that immigration is supporting illegal doing b/c of less paperwork but no money to get out of these doing!

And how known is the "no charge under 15 years" rule in Satun?

Like at Phuket Airport "Money, please"?

Edited by noob7

OK...thanks everyone. We really only need two extra days so if we can't arrive in Hat Yai in the morning, do a visa run, return to Hat Yai and then get to Bulon the same day it's not really worth it. We will look into doing an extension before we get to Hat Yai. I believe there is an immigration office on Koh Samui? I can handle paying for the adults but don't feel like coughing uo 3800 BHT for the kids for two days as well so we may just end up leaving on the two month mark...

Thanks again