Someone Close To Me Attacked And Threatened - Advice Needed

sunset24

Hello,

a thai woman friend of mine has a small clothes shop in a department store in Bangkok. A few days ago she was physically attacked by 3 persons (owner, sister of owner, and boyfriend of owner) from another shop in the department store, inside her own shop during opening hours. The cause for this seem to be long time dislike/enmity/gossip between my friend and the owner of the other shop (they know each other from high-shool, etc). The damage was no more serious than bruises and scratches, but my friend being alone (no family in Bangkok), she got really scared. She has already been to the police, but don't expect much action there, and the department store management seem to try to ignore (or downplay) this incident, calling it "normal" and "human nature" to have disagreements.

However, now in the days after, the boyfriend of the other shop owner, who participated in the attack (held my friend while the others punched and scratched her), is walking around my friend's shop, trying to be threatening. It is a very bad situation, and my friend do not dare to stay in her shop.

Could a lawyer help her, for example getting a restraining order or something? I have doubts this would help, because who would enforce this. But I'm also afraid that "muscling up" by having some male friends guarding her only could make the situation worse.

Do anyone have some advice what she can do in this situation?

Edited by sunset24

Agree with Semper, stay out of it.

Tell your friend to talk to a lawyer about what options there are. Don't ask for legal advice here.

Also tell her to install hidden cameras (good HD ones with microphone!), and if there is more trouble she can present the recordings to the lawyer an police.

Again, stay out of it. The situation can be much worse for her if you come meddling.

My best advice would be, get the phone number of one of the instore security guards or one of the motorcycle taxi guys from outside.

If she feels threatened then call them.

This is way more prevalent that many would realise, what takes place at some of these local markets is almost mafia like, of course it all boils down to money.

How my wifes family dealt with this sort of behaviour cant be discussed.

Look because she said it was unprovoked doesn't mean that it was, there is no doubt a history going back about this. She probably doesn't want to share with you the finer details. As others said keep out of it, the Thais have their own ways of dealing with things, if a clear conscience she should try the police first.

Thanks for the feedback. I just posted this in a wild hope some brilliant advice might come up.

Basically, my friend has done what Beetlejuice adviced with regards to police/medical report, but I don't think anything will come out of this since the injury wasn't so serious (although this has a deep psychological effect now).

I think seeking legal advice seem like a smart thing to do, but then again, where to find a lawyer you can trust to speak your case. Anyone have a reference to a thai lawyer they have used and trust?

My friend is tempted to just close the business, but she has a sizable deposit, and made a sizable investment in decorating the shop just 4 months ago, that she will have to walk away from if she do. But I'm afraid that this might be the best option.

I feel very sorry for your friend. I was just looking up to see if there is such a thing as a restraining order in Thailand but it doesn't look like there is. On another thread from the past dealing with the a fairly similar situation the advice was to find a friendly policeman and asked him to be her " guardian " in this matter even if she has to pay him some money.

Look because she said it was unprovoked doesn't mean that it was, there is no doubt a history going back about this. She probably doesn't want to share with you the finer details. As others said keep out of it, the Thais have their own ways of dealing with things, if a clear conscience she should try the police first.

The history is probably that the OPs friend is smarter / makes more money than the other girl.

Sent from my HTC phone.

was it a threat, "or was it an attempted robbery"?

stay out of it, what kind of simps do we have here? certainly ones who have no backup or favors owed when your time comes.

And your advice to the op would be.....

from the details provided it sounds as if the friend has confided which is basically asking for assistance.

if the friendship is valued they should be there to ensure the friend is not harmed if needed.

they are not to enter the friends store if requested. lock the door or prevent entry. the boyfriend is currently testing to see what he can get away with. you must stop this now early on.

if the boyfriend held the lady during an attack and is now coming in alone, i would arm myself in this situation if it were me.

Edited by jacktrip

I fail to see how this has anything to do you, the farang? Are you Batman? Why don't you tell her to ask her friends who actually speak the language in the country she lives for advice? Or did she come to you because she needs financial help because of the alleged incidents? Either way, if she is involved in all this drama, she is probably someone best avoided.

• Like 1

-sunset24-

If you look same Mr.Tim "Sharky" Ward (photo) and say, at a shopping visit at their shop,

that you are the friend of the woman in problems

and will be a "help"tongue.png in any future misunderstanding and discussion,

maybe the problem would fade away.whistling.gif

Probably, Mr.Ward wants to make a Trip to Bangkok from Pattaya, or passes by on his way from or to the Airport.

He always writes that he has a big heart and likes to help.rolleyes.gif

Shark-man-Pattaya1.jpg

1- install CCTV cameras

2- depending what kind of "backup" the others have, find a friendly & ranked police commissioned officer and pay him money to have a talk with the "others" and pretending he is a good friend of your lady

3- get a lawyer

-sunset24-

If you look same Mr.Tim "Sharky" Ward (photo) and say, at a shopping visit at their shop,

that you are the friend of the woman in problems

and will be a "help"tongue.png in any future misunderstanding and discussion,

maybe the problem would fade away.whistling.gif

Probably, Mr.Ward wants to make a Trip to Bangkok from Pattaya, or passes by on his way from or to the Airport.

He always writes that he has a big heart and likes to help.rolleyes.gif

Shark-man-Pattaya1.jpg

in my modest(and personally nonexistent) knowledge about fights in thailand,guys like him are just noisier when they crash on the floor Edited by kaobang

in my modest(and personally nonexistent) knowledge about fights in thailand,guys like him are just noisier when they crash on the floor

First, I made a joke. rolleyes.gif

Second, "Intimidation through imposing appearance" helped often, no fight necessary!

Third, your posting revealed for me, that you posted, unnecessary, as you are clueless and only assume something. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 2

in my modest(and personally nonexistent) knowledge about fights in thailand,guys like him are just noisier when they crash on the floor

First, I made a joke. rolleyes.gif

Second, "Intimidation through imposing appearance" helped often, no fight necessary!

Third, your posting revealed for me, that you posted, unnecessary, as you are clueless and only assume something. tongue.png

yes sure,i appreciate the joke.i will figure it out soon,if the champion of intimidations is a big farang with many tattoos or a crazy thai man and his 10 friends around.

back to the thread..i think your friend should try to keep calm...and the time will fix it one way or another...better a small loss of pride than the hospitals..and they are 3

anyway,if the the department store is Union Mall around Ladprao,let me know

Edited by kaobang

If you were back in your country and the same thing happened to you, would you be confiding and expecting help from a Thai person who doesn't speak English and has no clue about what to do?

Leave it alone. There is much, much more to this story and she could in fact be in the wrong, so let the Thai's sort it out their way.

Much like you would do at home.

Good point. Do you know the factual history of this case?

In other words, do you know as an absolute fact that she has not fully / partly responsible for all of this.

Has she even (and not in your knowledge) said harsh / impolite / threatening things to these people?

If you ask her about this, will you get an unbiased reply?

The truth is you'll never really know the actual history.

Tread carefully. Please don't suggest violence as an answer, that's only starting further and possibly very serious problems.

I fail to see how this has anything to do you, the farang? Are you Batman? Why don't you tell her to ask her friends who actually speak the language in the country she lives for advice? Or did she come to you because she needs financial help because of the alleged incidents? Either way, if she is involved in all this drama, she is probably someone best avoided.

interesting how many on this forum just want to walk away and avoid the situation.

i have found this true for many of the expats i have met in los.

they are good for drinking buddies and shooting the bull, but thats about it. in short, simps. that rhymes with wimp, simp.

is this lady a girlfriend? if so you will be looking for a new one very shortly if you 'dont get involved'. plenty around to run from problems with.

history of the altercation is insignificant since they are entering her shop they are in the wrong.

how about a vicious military or police trained animal to protect the property?

you can pin it on the dog if anything happens. some of these can be quite vicious and a well trained one may not set you back much esp if the fate of the business is at hand.

Edited by jacktrip
  • Like 1