Thai Govt's First-Car Policy Putting People's Health At Risk: Bangkok

webfact

First-car policy 'putting people's health at risk'

Janjira Pongrai

The Natiom

30196155-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 381,184 Bangkok commuters are suffering from respiratory diseases caused by air pollution that has been associated with traffic jams, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration revealed yesterday.

"The volume of cars in the capital has increased the existence of pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide and tiny particles in the air," BMA Deputy Governor Dr Malinee Sukvejvorakij said.

According to the BMA's medical division, the number of people suffering from respiratory diseases such as asthma and allergies has risen drastically over the past seven years, with about 20,000 to 30,000 Bangkokians developing symptoms every year.

Traffic in Bangkok is getting worse thanks to the government's first-car tax-rebate policy. As of October 31, car registrations in Bangkok had revved up to 7,384,934, of which 296,553 were for new cars bought under the first-car policy.

Though the number of cars registered has risen this year, the Pollution Control Department's director general Wichian Jungrungreung said the quality of air in the capital was still "good" and that the number of particles smaller than 10 micrometres had reduced over the past two years.

"We have been strictly controlling air and noise pollution released from vehicles on the road," he said.

To control pollution, Malinee said the BMA was considering collecting extra fees from car owners, especially those who take their vehicles downtown. In addition, she said, the BMA was planning to increase the number of green spots in the capital.

She added that the BMA would also team up with Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan to resolve the traffic problem.

"We will hold a meeting inviting relevant agencies to discuss this issue and find measures to alleviate the problem," she said.

Malinee said that since the first-car scheme was a policy introduced by the government to boost the automobile industry, the government should look for ways to ease the impact this policy is having on people's health.

"We suffered bad pollution from black fumes released by cars 10 years ago and hope this problem does not return, as the number of cars on the roads has risen rapidly over the past two years," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-15

Just introduce a vehicle testing scheme, as in the UK, you have to have your car/motorbike tested annually (after the first 3 years have expired)

the criteria includes all mechanical & safety aspects of the car including electrics etc.. but most important is the exhaust test, if that falls below regulation figures you will not pass & get a certificate.. if you do not have the certificate to prove it is roadworthy it becomes illegal to be on the road, also you cannot tax or insure your car either as this certificate must be shown at the time of purchasing these documents.

You do not see mobile smoke machines on our roads anymore.

Having said that I'm convinced a lot of the air particles are from concrete buildings starting to erode, where I live there is about an inch of dust on everything especially at the sides of all roads, it's just swept into a heap by the side of the road each day by the road sweepers just to be dispersed again by the wind & passing traffic, everything is covered by dust so respiratory problems have always been high on the Thai illness

ratings.

• Like 1

Just introduce a vehicle testing scheme, as in the UK, you have to have your car/motorbike tested annually (after the first 3 years have expired)

the criteria includes all mechanical & safety aspects of the car including electrics etc.. but most important is the exhaust test, if that falls below regulation figures you will not pass & get a certificate.. if you do not have the certificate to prove it is roadworthy it becomes illegal to be on the road, also you cannot tax or insure your car either as this certificate must be shown at the time of purchasing these documents.

Having said that I'm convinced a lot of the air particles are from concrete buildings starting to erode, where I live there is about an inch of dust on everything especially at the sides of all roads, it's just swept into a heap by the side of the road each day by the road sweepers just to be dispersed again by the wind & passing traffic, everything is covered by dust so respiratory problems have always been high on the Thai illness

ratings.

Just introduce a vehicle testing scheme, as in the UK,...... They have it already but after 7 years......

if you do not have the certificate to prove it is roadworthy it becomes illegal to be on the road,.......... Yes is the same here...

The difference here is you take your car to a garage, they copy the numbers using masking tape and stick it on the Form, you pay your money and go get your Tax, or as I do drive in they take the numbers, I leave the Blue book and drive home, a week later she calls me to collect the Tax = 1 year car tax fee + 200 baht for the test [What test?] guess that is the inspection paper, and going to collect the Tax for me....

Even in UK many tests have been done over the years on new and far less then the 3 year old cars = they were not road worthy

Seriously? Blaming pollution on the new car policy??

How do journalists here expect to get any credibility with ridiculous arguments like this? Sure, more cars will lead to more pollution. But there are enough issues with the policy, and significantly worse causes of pollution, that they could report about.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Perhaps, the headline writer was a disgruntled journalist who didn't qualify for the rebate?

Normally I would agree, English-language Thai journos are pretty awful, but in this particular instance the are covering a report from the BMA. While I don't doubt the health findings, the link between those and the 1st-Car policy is probably spurious at best --> At that was the conclusion of the BMA, not the writer. I wonder how this is portrayed in the Thai-language media; it might be an attempt to discredit the PT-led policy.

ratings.

The trouble with an MOT here is it would be just another tea money earner for the operators. sad.png

Now folk need a car ''test'' at 7 year old, if you saw the crap being tested where l live you would w00t.gif .

Bangkok has 1,000 things which need improving. Where to start? Best would be to relocate to higher ground, as it's going to be under a meter of year 'round standing water in the near future.

as for traffic, here are some things Bangkokian big shots can do:

>>>. develop dedicated 'turn lanes' at intersections. Instead of 3 lanes stopped to enable one to move, two lanes could move while two are stopped. More traffic would be moving rather than standing still and idling.

>>> get those black smoke belching buses off the streets. Last time I was in Bkk (I go there as seldom as possible), I had to wait for a bus and nearly died (no exaggeration) from constant black smoke blown in my face. It was awful!

>>> develop parks. Bkk, like all Thai cities, has a paucity of parks. Even when Thais build a park, they are compelled to pour cement over most of it. Is it just Thais, or do all Asians have an aversion to grass and trees?

.....just a smattering of improvements which could help Bkk progress from crappy to moderately bad.

Maidu, it is terrible to read that just waiting for a bus you almost, (without exaggeration), died. I take it the rescue sevices assisited you promptly and that you are now fully recovered from what must have been a horrifying experience? Thinking back, I do seem to remember a TV report of a remarkably similar incident, I wonder if that was the same one?

What they should do in highly conjested areas is charge them, like they do in London. It will ease traffic a little bit.

There are testing centres in Thailand, but they just get abused, I had a Toyota freelancer, but I had to get a vehicle safety check every year after the first three years, in order to get a passport to travel over the friendship bridge.

The trouble is nobody checked the vehicle, but was issued a 1 year certificate to say it had passed.

ratings.

Can't agree with making Thailand like the UK the kingdom is already changing at a rapid rate. As for pollution, until people care rather than using it for trade restrictions nothing will help so I just wait and see, TiT

Another completely stupid accusation!

You can criticize the policy for a lot of reasons- pollution is rather not one of them.

Seriously? Are all these government subsidized new cars "zero emmission" cars? I think not.

Moreover most of these "new" cars are built or assembled in Thailand, which usually means outdated technology, not only in saferty but also in environment friendlyness and low mileage. High tech cars built in Europe are not welcome in Thailand, hence a hefty import and excise tax.

Combine that with government subsidized gasoline (i.e. diesel) prices and there is a perfect recepie for disaster.

ratings.

There already is a testing scheme it just needs to be made more robust, less corrupt and the checks more thorough.

Bangkok has 1,000 things which need improving. Where to start? Best would be to relocate to higher ground, as it's going to be under a meter of year 'round standing water in the near future.

as for traffic, here are some things Bangkokian big shots can do:

>>>. develop dedicated 'turn lanes' at intersections. Instead of 3 lanes stopped to enable one to move, two lanes could move while two are stopped. More traffic would be moving rather than standing still and idling.

>>> get those black smoke belching buses off the streets. Last time I was in Bkk (I go there as seldom as possible), I had to wait for a bus and nearly died (no exaggeration) from constant black smoke blown in my face. It was awful!

>>> develop parks. Bkk, like all Thai cities, has a paucity of parks. Even when Thais build a park, they are compelled to pour cement over most of it. Is it just Thais, or do all Asians have an aversion to grass and trees?

.....just a smattering of improvements which could help Bkk progress from crappy to moderately bad.

This would require civil engineering to be taken off the list of jobs foreigners are prohibited from doing. The whole culture might disappear if a few hundred western civil engineers came and designed some streets while teaching the trade to the locals. Pretty soon Thai language would disappear, they would no longer wai to greet one another and would not be able to say no it's good because it's Thai style. whistling.gif

It's funny my S.O. lets me drive her around sometimes and would give me the usual schlep all Thai's say about it's their right or up to them. I've been steadily re-enforcing my ideology upon her that no one has the right to do things if it is negative to the greater good. She's starting to get it and gets irritated with inconsiderate drivers and the lack of traffic signals and buses driving in the fast lane and two way traffic on soi's that are only big enough for maybe 1.5 cars and....

the solution is .......just apply the rules.

Verry simple !

Take all the cars/lorries/taxies/mini-vans/skooters and busses of the road that have no

insurance or taxpaper or numberplate or 7year check or driver without a license or truck license or taxi-license.

So now 90% of the vehicles is off the road !

90% less road accidents!

We will have a few million bicycle drivers more ,But they wont drive hard enough to kill themselfs ,lol !

ratings.

Never begin a sentence using the word "Just" in the context of anything concerning Thailand. The word "just" implies some kind of ease or simplicity, which is quite laughable.

ratings.

In Bangkok the BIB have the equipment and sometimes do the exhaust testing of buses and trucks at the side of the road. But somehow these cancer-smoking busses are still running on the streets every day. I wonder how much they are paying to the BIB, to be allowed to continue their severe pollution.

I wish the Thai government would work more on reducing rubbish fires. They are often filled with plastic and other unsafe substances and burn with no regulation. Our family has had to move twice because of frequent (daily) burning of garbage in the neighborhood.

So motorbikes don't pollute? Practically every motorbike I see in Pattaya with an old bedstead masquerading as a kitchen attached, is a smoky two stroke, and many of the ancient trucks belching out fumes could do with a new set on fuel injectors. The savings on fuel costs would pay for the injectors in a few months.

It is more dangerous that all this new car owners have absolute no ability to drive a car, than the emissions coming from ttheir cars.

Saw a mitsubishi mirage with no plates on the road today...looked like a beaten up wreck with dents all over it. And they have to keep that 5 years? That will have much more effect on the owners mental health than smoky streets!