Easy Way To Fix Shower Drain Slope?

WhiteCadillac

Or perhaps buy a pre-made shower (many available these days) or fabricate to your specs. But not hard to have someone remove tile and redo slope to drain if in normal corner location but likely to still have some water to slowly dry after any shower.

This type of story makes me laugh. I have employed many builders on many projects. They all make a big show of checking levels with the water in a tube method. Takes them ages and with much effort. They start the build when it's obvious to my eye that the level is all cocked up. I take out my simple spirit level and display how out of true they are. They take no notice of what I say and carry on regardless. I wait until they finish, run the water and show that it does not drain, and make them do it all again (at their cost).

• Like 2

get a squeegy floor mop, they are similar to a car winscreen wiper ,

you don't have to get every last drop of water removed after a shower, small amount of water soon evaporates here.

if that's not suitable then get another layer of tiles put down with a slight slope,

difficult to advise without seeing it

This type of story makes me laugh. I have employed many builders on many projects. They all make a big show of checking levels with the water in a tube method. Takes them ages and with much effort. They start the build when it's obvious to my eye that the level is all cocked up. I take out my simple spirit level and display how out of true they are. They take no notice of what I say and carry on regardless. I wait until they finish, run the water and show that it does not drain, and make them do it all again (at their cost).

Had ceilings installed in a large Isaan house and this method was used. Just by eye I could see levels were way out and pointed this out only to be ignored. They had to re-do that section later.

It's usually a good method for large areas, ceilings/swimming pools, but shouldn't be used in small rooms or for shower falls.

Dumpy levels/laser levels are very cheap in the West but seldom seen here.

Tip: One can make a simple laser level using an inexpensive laser pointer strapped to a spirit level and suitably calibrated. Beats the crap out of the water method!

Or perhaps buy a pre-made shower (many available these days) or fabricate to your specs. But not hard to have someone remove tile and redo slope to drain if in normal corner location but likely to still have some water to slowly dry after any shower.

This being Thailand of course, chopping out the tiles and redoing the floor is *a lot* cheaper then buying a pre-fab shower cabin. Plus you get to pick your own tiles and add some personal design touch. We cemented in some rough pebbles in the immediate shower area which we thought was very nice, and granite-like tile around it. Suddenly makes the bathroom look pretty high-end compared to the old plane-jane tile that was in there. And it's not even expensive to do. Go check out Home Sukhaphan on the Middle Ring between the Sankamphaeng Rd tunnel and the Doi Saket Rd tunnel, it's completely amazing what they offer in tile these days.

Out of interest bought a spirit level, but the level did not look right, went into a big shop and laid 3 levels on the floor, all 3 showed a different reading.....!! easy to see why they do not use a level or get the level wrong

All work I have done myself I went the real old fashion way, buy some cheap clear tube, fill with water almost to the top, hold one end where you want and when the water is at this level the other end is 100% correct level....... then use a tape and measure up or down............ 100% level and for a bathroom the tube would cost all of 10 baht + can use and re use time and time again... Tube I use is 1½ baht per meter, can't get a much cheaper level, down side you need another pair of hand to hold the tube the other end on a bigger room.

Tip: One can make a simple laser level using an inexpensive laser pointer strapped to a spirit level and suitably calibrated. Beats the crap out of the water method!

Right on. You can also now buy a rotating laser with a tripod so cheap even a homeowner should have one. There's nothing like having a laser sweeping the walls so that you can measure up or down at any point of the floor or ceiling or walls anywhere in the room.

Link

Out of interest bought a spirit level, but the level did not look right, went into a big shop and laid 3 levels on the floor, all 3 showed a different reading.....!! easy to see why they do not use a level or get the level wrong

All work I have done myself I went the real old fashion way, buy some cheap clear tube, fill with water almost to the top, hold one end where you want and when the water is at this level the other end is 100% correct level....... then use a tape and measure up or down............ 100% level and for a bathroom the tube would cost all of 10 baht + can use and re use time and time again... Tube I use is 1½ baht per meter, can't get a much cheaper level, down side you need another pair of hand to hold the tube the other end on a bigger room.

Never ever buy the cheap home-handyman levels. Have done same test myself with many on offer in general hardware/tool departments ... they're all rubbish.

You must buy quality tools, not easy to find in Thailand, but they're there if you look and ask around.

I would look to see if you can overlay the existing tiles with a new set first. certainly wouldnt be entertaining breaking up existing tiles which may even be holding the drain outlet in place.

Also i reckon most people here can vouch for the fact that the plastic drain will for sure be protruding at least 5mm above any concrete level.....its like they just press it into wet concrete. So going at the tiles with a hammer and nicker is likely to bust a hole in your drain.

tiles here are almost as thin as paper so its not going to raise the floor significantly, but 10mm should be sufficient. smooth surface tiles dont need the same fall as the riven effect ones but obviously these are safer for a shower floor.

So if your shower area has a edge/upstand on all sides then its easy.

Agree with others about spirit levels, i bought a cheapy and built a wall, couldnt understand why i was alway tapping down or packing up. the level was completely bolloxed. took it apart to find the "bubble cassette" is just push into the stick, not glued, calibrated or anything...best to buy "stanley" make. But my favourite leveling tool is string, tape and eyes.

It's easy to check if a spirit level is true. plonk down anywhere an check where the bubble is. Turn through 180 degrees. if bubble not the same place then reject the level.

err - surely something wrong with your guidance here, matey.

If you put a spirut level on any surface that is not truly flat the bubble will not be at the same place having turned it through 180 degrees (unless the bubble is fixed in the tube and purely there for cosmetic reasons, which is not out of the question with cheap Thai toolssmile.png ).

It's easy to check if a spirit level is true. plonk down anywhere an check where the bubble is. Turn through 180 degrees. if bubble not the same place then reject the level.

err - surely something wrong with your guidance here, matey.

If you put a spirut level on any surface that is not truly flat the bubble will not be at the same place having turned it through 180 degrees (unless the bubble is fixed in the tube and purely there for cosmetic reasons, which is not out of the question with cheap Thai toolssmile.png ).

Perhaps 'in the same place' was misleading. How about 'in the same relative place'. Better still use a level surface. If level turn round 180 and it should still be level. Then it would be the 'same place' biggrin.png

A laser Is only as good as the setup.If the tool is out of level only a millimeter it will mark low when pointing one way and high when turned 180 degrees..This can be a significant differance when shooting say four meters. The hose is more precise as long as there are no air bubbles.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Unless using a self-leveling laser device ... but yes, it comes back to basics. Same as reading and comprehension (not directed at you TJ).

get a squeegy floor mop, they are similar to a car winscreen wiper ,

you don't have to get every last drop of water removed after a shower, small amount of water soon evaporates here.

if that's not suitable then get another layer of tiles put down with a slight slope,

difficult to advise without seeing it

I currently do the mop method. Still a lot of water avoids the drain even with the mop, as the drain is small and elevated.

Ill post a picture later to show how bad it is.

I do not know if they have the kits here but in the states they sale a plastic set up that extends from the drain out to the wals and will give you your slope. After the plastic parts are installed just fill with concrete and smooth out perfectly sloped shower but this also requires a level floor.