Best Trips To Do By Train?

stefaanfernande

Baloo22, thanks much for the tip on “The Man in Seat 61”. Amazed I’ve never heard of the site before!

If you have the time, travel by train in Thailand is a wonderful experience. Nothing like sitting with a cold beer at an open window watching the Thai countryside go by!

You're welcome! I agree, travel by train is a nice way to relax and enjoy the sights!smile.png

I can't speak to the Bangk-CM leg, I think CM a bore. Trip down to Butterw dozens of times, a bit too long to be "enjoyable".

Most fun was always the return trip from NK to BKK - after everyone scored visas. Party car was roaring and the staff good fun as well. Ah, those were the days...

I always book 2nd cl fan unless its the warmer parts of the year.

Love the trains, always a bit miffed when the wife triesbAirAsia out on me. Why wake up at 4am? Why taxi out to DM?

Edited by bangkokburning

My partner has to go to Bangkok every month on business, from Samui (Surat thani). She always goes by train, an overnight sleeper only costs about Bht600. I have done it by Train, Bus and Air and the train wins hands down ! Also there is a 12 hour boat service with Lompraya, but it can be a real "gut shaker" and its a hell of a lot more expensive than the train.

I like travelling by train in Thailand. In fact, train is probably my favourite form of transport. I used to go to school by train as a boy, Leaning out the window getting an eyeful of coal smut and smoke - ah, happy days! smile.png

In Thailand, don't take trains if you're running to a schedule. Make sure it doesn't really matter what time you arrive, and you'll have a great trip. I took the "express" from Bangkok to Hua Hin one time and it took six hours! blink.png But I wasn't rushing to a business meeting, so...