Can You Buy An Internet Dongle And Does It Work On Koh Phangan?

finy

Hey,

I used to have a dongle in Australia when visiting. It was basically a little plastic thing I plugged in my laptop USB port and a SIM card was inside.

I was wondering if you can buy these things in Bangkok, but then would the connection work on Koh Phangan?

I write so I'd basically only require a connection good enough to upload tiny txt files then send. Once or twice per day would be OK.

Is this possible, or would I need to find a guest house with WiFi? I might do this anyway, but I really want a backup.

I don't have a phone to jack into.

Thank you

There is a dongle system by CAT telecom, but AFAIK is going to be suspended. I use for my phone when traveling a useful, cheap and enough fast (most of time) sim card with internet capabilities. I am charged by AIS-One Two Call 100 baht for 20 hours traffic with the old but still useful and fast GPRS-EDGE network.

3G network start to work, but still not full island coverage and different prices.

You can ask for a sim card and enable the service calling the 1175 call center where somebody speak a very good English

Where are you based currently? It may be better and cheaper to buy in your home country. For instance, I just purchased one of these in the UK for just over £12 and spent another £6 unlocking it. Much more versatile than a simple USB modem. Mine works via 3G with TOT & AIS and EDGE with the rest. I have a USB modem that covers the DTAC and TRUE network over 3G.

Such is the state of Thailand's mobile broadband market, that in general, one needs to have more than one unit to cover all bases.

• Like 1

Where are you based currently? It may be better and cheaper to buy in your home country. For instance, I just purchased one of these in the UK for just over £12 and spent another £6 unlocking it. Much more versatile than a simple USB modem. Mine works via 3G with TOT & AIS and EDGE with the rest. I have a USB modem that covers the DTAC and TRUE network over 3G.

Such is the state of Thailand's mobile broadband market, that in general, one needs to have more than one unit to cover all bases.

Spot on clap2.gif

I have three of the four dongles plus TOT and 3BB landlines and there are still days when I cannot get on-line. (Not many now though TG).

#5 seems to be the best option but in answer to the OP's question I have a 3g dongle from DTAC that I purchased from their shop in Big C. I use it as a failsafe but during the recent powercut it left me wanting (it's usually very reliable). On the whole i'm nonetheless happy with it:)

HTH

Edited by evadgib

#5 seems to be the best option but in answer to the OP's question I have a 3g dongle from DTAC that I purchased from their shop in Big C. I use it as a failsafe but during the recent powercut it left me wanting (it's usually very reliable). On the whole i'm nonetheless happy with it:)

HTH

The problem during the last 3 day power outage was that all of the telephone companies were without power, as well as the towers.

They put small gennies on some towers - but they quickly ran out of petrol - hence - it's up, it's down.

The only one that worked for me during the outage was the True Move - but those were exceptional circumstances. Shouldn't happen for a few years after next March

Just to let people know I spoke to DTAC and they seem to think they have OK coverage on KP. It's also about 1400 for dongle. Cheers!

If I was an underpaid Thai making a living selling DTAC dongles - I too would say that our coverage was OK.

Please check with people that live/stay near where you will be.

Location, Location, Location!

1400 baht is ridiculous. Better to buy a 'open' dongle that covers the '3G' 850MHz range. That way you can use either DTAC or TRUE. Not a problem if DTAC use open software, in so that you can enter the TRUE connection details if necessary.

Thanks!

Any idea where I could buy one?

Just to let people know I spoke to DTAC and they seem to think they have OK coverage on KP. It's also about 1400 for dongle. Cheers!

If I was an underpaid Thai making a living selling DTAC dongles - I too would say that our coverage was OK.

Please check with people that live/stay near where you will be.

Location, Location, Location!

As a fairly frequent goer to KP,.... DTAC is good in most areas..... the only area that I have found it has no signal is the Haad Salad area, but more up the hill.... a few kilometers mostly south... along the centre road (but not much in the way of resorts etc in that area, so would not affect many people.... )...

Otherwise good just about anywhere else! ... although not sure about east coast beaches, north of Haad Rin. But as Tropicalevo says, check with the locals