Newbie Needs Advice - Which Visa Option ...

Hello - Newbie here ... I am requesting advice on the type of Thai Visa that would be best for me.

I have read many of the posted threads and posts on this subject here at this site ... but it is not clear to me as to the best path.

And frankly - some of the posted information is quite confusing..

I really don't want to start a new thread on this very much already discussed subject - so please forgive.

I will be entering Thailand under a clean slate Visa-wise, so I wish to choose the best option up front to avoid complications at a later date.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE:

About me and my situation and background:

- Older male - U.S. Citizen - residing in Texas

- Have newly issued U.S. Passport

- Plan (hope) to live in Thailand long term

- I have some American friends in Thailand.

- Spent thirteen months in Thailand in (what seems a million years ago).

- I can speak/understand/write phonetically the Thai language about 4-5 on a 10 scale (two yrs. additional study since 2010)

- Will go to a English Teacher Certification Course TEFL right away after getting settled in.

- The TEFL course will likely be in the Pattaya area near one of my American friends

- I have no illusions about whether I will be able to become employed or not.

- I am open to attending another school to study the Thai language if it would help / ease VISA renewals - ED

- Have University Degree

- Will likely end up Udon Thani or Nong Khai area - employed or not after the TEFL course. (but not absolute).

- I am retired - with modest pension - but adequate to sustain myself in Thailand.

- Making Visa Runs is Okay with me - I will do what is necessary.

- I am likely to get married to a Thai woman in 2-3 years from entry (forever cautious).

I know that some of this information is superfluous - but thought it might have some bearing on my Visa options:

Easiest long term visa option for you IF you can financially qualify: annual retirement extensions. But you can't work on that so if really need/want to work, ignore this.

You are over 50.

You have a pension.

I reckon your pension is less than 65K per month.

That's OK, but you need the balance of that in a Thai bank account to total 800K to qualify annually.

For example, pension 40K per month adds up to 480K so you'd need 320K in a Thai bank account.

With this tactic, no visa runs.

How about study Thai for fun and forget the idea of finding teaching employment? You're older so harder to employ as a teacher.

Others might have other opinions. That's mine based on what you said which wasn't everything, for example more detail about your financial situation and whether you really NEED to work for money in Thailand.

If you go with the retirement extension tactic, you can start that different ways, O visa from the USA, O-A visa from the USA, tourist visa from the USA later convert to O in Thailand.

BTW, later if you get married you can use marriage extensions, lower financial requirements but reportedly often much more of a hassle to obtain. Retirement extensions are really the EASIEST path and many people who are married use them anyway!

If you are SERIOUS about the working path, your plan would be different. So best to decide on that. Perhaps someone else can suggest a visa strategy for the teaching path (not me).

Edited by Jingthing

800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both would get you 12 month stays for retirement.

You would not be able to work though.

2 or 3 entry Tourist Visa would get you 6 or 9 months and give you some time to work out what you want to do.

A multi entry non immigrant O visa might be available from an Thai honorary Consulate and that would cover your stay for up to 15 months and allow study and for you to decide on future with only a border crossing every 90 days required or even a 3 entry tourist visa can serve you for the first nine months with only an exit every 90 days required but using 1,900 baht extensions (multi entry O better choice).

Thanks for the two post of advice so far... It would not be an absolute to have to work - but I really want to be occupied with something constructive. Also - I wish to save money for a possible business idea I have (I've read about Farang / business restrictions - another subject ). Also - getting married 2-3 years down the road wil require some extra money - especially the Sin Sod situation. So - the Retirement O option is not my first choice. How about the ED option and stringing that out... ?

Edited by JDGRUEN

You can make the ED visa last for years with extensions every 90 days for 1900 baht at immigration in Thailand, but you do have to attend classes and I don't know the availablity of approved schools in the Udon Thani / Nong Khai area. As said if you can get a multi entry Non-O it would be best.

Great info .. Part of the problem for a newbie is just getting the terminology down ... So - it seems this 'multi entry non immigrant O (not retirement O-A) visa" would bet me through for quite a while. I found a Honorary Consul General of Thailand office in Dallas (not far away). Can this Honorary Consulate process this type of Visa App (as has been recommended) ?

Does anyone have a synopsis - capsule explanation of my requirements for qualifying for this - 'multi entry non immigrant O (not retirement O-A) visa' > i read it on the Thai Immigration / Embassy websites - but hearing from your folks is often a better way to understand it ... Joe

I would advise stop making plans for down the road 2 or 3 years, do what is easiest for you at the moment. The o multiply entry is a good one if you can get it you can find all of the info for the Portland office on line and call her and ask what she needs, she has always been very helpful. With the multiply entry you will need to make a border run every 90 days.

Remember things can change quickly here and if you are on a non-o it can be used to work or for education until you figure out what you will do.

If you can only get a single entry O instead of a multiple then you need to get organized quickly as far as your next step in Thailand, like an application for annual extension based on retirement. I reckon you'll be using the combo method so before leaving the U.S. make sure you have confirmed the mechanics of doing wire transfers to Thailand. Some banks will require you to arrange that setup IN PERSON in the U.S. You won't know until you make inquiries at your U.S. banks. Many U.S. and U.K. prefer Bangkok Bank in Thailand because only with them can do online ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank New York avoiding the international SWIFT wire system.

For teaching here doesn't it need to be a CELTA or a TESOL not a TEFL ?

On the SIn Sodt being a problem it should be given back to the couple or even her family could lend you it. If it's large and you're not getting it back then don't get involved.

Everything I read relating to being qualified to teach English says TEFL... but I am not expert on this. Anyone who has specific clarification - please post away... RE:Sin Sodt .. I agree.with you ... but how does ever know know for sure - if it will be returned whether small, medium or large... ?

If you can only get a single entry O instead of a multiple then you need to get organized quickly as far as your next step in Thailand, like an application for annual extension based on retirement. I reckon you'll be using the combo method so before leaving the U.S. make sure you have confirmed the mechanics of doing wire transfers to Thailand. Some banks will require you to arrange that setup IN PERSON in the U.S. You won't know until you make inquiries at your U.S. banks. Many U.S. and U.K. prefer Bangkok Bank in Thailand because only with them can do online ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank New York avoiding the international SWIFT wire system.

Thank you for your input... I do not wish to go to the actual Retirement Visa as I do not want to rule out working in some manner or another - perhaps even with an NGO... the multi entry non immigrant O (not retirement O-A) visa" as has been suggested sounds good to me ... I am also considering the Education Visa for up to the first year as it relates to the TEFL. I just need to get solid info on qualifications ... My bank is USAA and with only online services and I have had some experience with online fund transfers - so I don't expect any problem. You're explaination about using Bangkok Bank and the related information is much appreciated.

Edited by JDGRUEN

I would advise stop making plans for down the road 2 or 3 years, do what is easiest for you at the moment. The o multiply entry is a good one if you can get it you can find all of the info for the Portland office on line and call her and ask what she needs, she has always been very helpful. With the multiply entry you will need to make a border run every 90 days.

Remember things can change quickly here and if you are on a non-o it can be used to work or for education until you figure out what you will do.

Thank you - I will do that - call Protland ... I'll call the Dallas office to and compare notes. non immigrant O (not retirement) as was suggested is my top choice.

With USAA you can do online transfers to a Bangkok Bank account once you set it up here in Thailand. Total cost will normally be $5 or $10 taken in US at Bangkok Bank New York (depends on amount transferred) and .25% in range 200-500 baht after exchange to Baht here in Thailand. The USAA check card is not the cheapest but at only 1% foreign fee it is better than many that charge 3% and can be used in ATM's here but AEON is free of charge so best choice when available. Remember you can always change your mind and end a retirement extension to convert to an entry allowing work if situation changes. At most paperwork and a visit to a local area Consulate for new visa.

With USAA you can do online transfers to a Bangkok Bank account once you set it up here in Thailand. Total cost will normally be $5 or $10 taken in US at Bangkok Bank New York (depends on amount transferred) and .25% in range 200-500 baht after exchange to Baht here in Thailand. The USAA check card is not the cheapest but at only 1% foreign fee it is better than many that charge 3% and can be used in ATM's here but AEON is free of charge so best choice when available. Remember you can always change your mind and end a retirement extension to convert to an entry allowing work if situation changes. At most paperwork and a visit to a local area Consulate for new visa.

Thank you ... Being new to this I didn't know the Retirement Extension could be ended... This makes a lot of difference. Thanks for the free education. I knew I could count on you folks... I am a former Army officer had USAA since the late 1970's (it is now open to all rank). USAA financial services have been extremely helpful to me. I have studied / researched a new Debit card by American Express - their Blue Card... It has most all the features of a full checking account without the checks... The info states that they do not charge international ATM fees... I may go this route when on the gound in Thailand for cash availability. Setting up an account in the Bangkok Bank sound like the solution. Having trusted financial institutions on both ends makes me breath a little easier. Thanks again.

For teaching here doesn't it need to be a CELTA or a TESOL not a TEFL ?

On the SIn Sodt being a problem it should be given back to the couple or even her family could lend you it. If it's large and you're not getting it back then don't get involved.

Seems we are both right in thie CELTA vs TEFL ... From further research I find 'TEFL' or Teaching English as a Foreign Language to be descriptive terminology to relate what the end result of taking the CELTA course of study is to be. The 'A' in CELTA is for the word 'ADULT' (adults as students being trained to teach)... So yes I will be seeking an institution wth a CELTA certification course. Thank you for helping me clarify...

Edited by JDGRUEN

I agree with you in toto Sir

Yes, but it sounds like the OP is well qualified for annual retirement extensions done in Thailand, and with those he can attend any school he likes (just not use that for visa purposes) and not need any visa runs. He just can't work on that, but if he decides to work later, there are ways to make that change as well. I agree nothing wrong with the idea of starting with a multiple entry O if he can get it, of course.

Edited by Jingthing

Make an appointment with Forrest Smith, the Thai Hon. Consul, his office is in the Galleria building nearest Loop 635. He has always been helpful to me and same day service. Be sure to download and fillout a visa application and have pictures. Also, take some data to show income and finances (bank statement and pension letter seems to work best.) Tell Forrest you need a Non immigrant O type visa single entry since you are investigating retirement in Thailand. Do not get a Non-immigrant O-A visa (that takes a lot more paperwork and prevents working should you decide too.) Once you are in Thailand and in the last 30 days of your permission to stay as stamped in your passport you can apply for an extension. The reason for extension of stay can be either work if you found some or eduction.

I have used the the Dallas Hon. consul for many years with no problems. Good luck with all your plans.

Edited by asiaexpat

He prefers a multiple entry one year O visa, not a single entry. Wasn't someone on here saying Portland is the sweet spot for those? I agree a single entry shouldn't be hard to swing and I also agree an O-A would be a hassle. That said, an O-A could also be a useful tool for him as you can make it last two years without dealing with Thai immigration, but of course you can't work on that either.

Edited by Jingthing

If teaching english is your desire I recommend CELTA rather than one of the TEFL courses. You will pay a very little more for the course but get a well recognized certificate that helps with the job hunt. As for banking, I also bank with USAA in Texas and set up Bangkok Bank as a transfer bank in my online banking. I opened several accounts in Thailand over the years and found Bangkok Bank to be the most convenient since I can easily transfer funds online from USAA to my Bangkok Bank account with very small fees. Bring some funds and open an account as soon as you arrive in Thailand and have a place to call your residence. Then set up the bank as if it were a US bank in your online USAA account. Bangkok Bank has all the info to do this at thier website. Also, bring originals of your pension info, Diplomas with transcripts, divorce decree, and international drivers permit from AAA as you may need them to accomplish your plans for the future.

• Like 1