Angry Families Disrupt Human Rights Day Celebration: Bangkok

webfact

Angry families storm human rights day celebration

Chanikarn Phumhiran,

Kesinee Taengkhiao

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Relatives of protesters killed during the 2010 bloodshed yesterday disrupted a Human Rights Day event of the National Human Rights Commission by storming into its office.

The relatives were led by Payao Akhad, mother of paramedic volunteer Kamolkaed Akhad, who was killed inside the Pathumwanaram Temple on May 19, 2010.

The NHRC was holding the event at its head office at the Government Complex on Chaeng Watthana Road to mark Human Rights Day by awarding several people for outstanding work protecting human rights.

Initially, Payao and some 30 others rallied outside the B Building, where the NHRC head office is located. They demanded that the NHRC explain why its report on the 2010 political violence had not yet been officially released.

The protesters also demanded explanation why the NHRC would not request documents from the Army related to the security operations in April and May 2010, during which more than 90 people were killed.

The protesters noted that the NHRC summoned police to be questioned over the clashes with demonstrators led by Pitak Siam last month, but the NHRC would not request information on operations from the Army.

After no NHRC commissioners came out to meet the demonstrators, they stormed into the office and disrupted the Human Rights Day activities.

Wirawit Wiraworawit, acting secretary-general of the NHRC Office, tried to negotiate with the protesters but they insisted on meeting with commission chairwoman Amara Pongsapich.

Wirawit told the protesters that Amara was preoccupied with an activity and could not meet them. The protesters then went up on the stage and disrupted the performance.

They also mocked the NHRC by giving an imitation golden coffin to the agency for allegedly protecting the oppressors instead of protecting human rights.

Wirawit received the mock award and told the protesters the NHRC was taking time to investigate the issue because there was a lot of information to review.

In a separate development, the Criminal Court ruled yesterday that a red-shirt protester was killed by a bullet fired by unidentified troops during the anti-government rally on May 13, 2010.

The inquest found that Chartchai Chalao, a member of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD), was on Rama IV Road when he was hit in the head by a 0.223-calibre bullet that tore through his skull and brain.

The troops were carrying out an operation under orders from the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation, but the examination was unable to identity which agency they came from.

This is the third case involving the political chaos in which the culpability for a death has been pinned on government troops.

On September 17, the Criminal Court determined that Phan Kamkong, 43, a taxicab driver, was shot dead when he ran out of an apartment to see what was happening after hearing soldiers open fire at a van that had strayed into an area under Army control. He then collapsed outside the IDO condominium near the Airport Rail Link's Rajprarop Station.

And on November 27, the Criminal Court determined that troops had shot Charnnarong Polsriwala, a DAAD member, near a petrol station on Rangnam Road. The 0.223 bullets ripped up his intestines.

The court is set to divulge the results of the fourth inquest this Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-18

>If the complaints described in this article of those who challenged the NHRC are valid, then it follows, that their actions are justified, when one sees this organization proceeding with 'business as usual'.

>There has been a lot of disregard and 'minimizing' in action and deed by many significant political elements, for those who suffered the loss of family members for political reasons that could have been avoided, with politically mature, negotiating actions.

>Obviously the mother of a nurse slain in a temple is most egregious in this regard.

>If the complaints described in this article of those who challenged the NHRC are valid, then it follows, that their actions are justified, when one sees this organization proceeding with 'business as usual'.

>There has been a lot of disregard and 'minimizing' in action and deed by many significant political elements, for those who suffered the loss of family members for political reasons that could have been avoided, with politically mature, negotiating actions.

>Obviously the mother of a nurse slain in a temple is most egregious in this regard.

In a very strange coincidence, Chalerm, who has already snubbed invitations from the NHRC to attend and explain the police aggression at the Putak Siam rally, was also due to attend yesterday and snubbed the organization once again.....

• Like 2

In a very strange coincidence, Chalerm, who has already snubbed invitations from the NHRC to attend and explain the police aggression at the Putak Siam rally, was also due to attend yesterday and snubbed the organization once again.....

I was there yesterday after lunch. Saw the entertainment that was put on.

I agree that it was more than just a coincidence that these disgruntled people came to protest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

If an action is justified, it not neccesarily follow that the reaction is valid. In my opinion, Thaksin is as guilty as Arisman, Nuttawut and the rest of the rabble as the army is for the deaths, probably more so, because the army were doing the job that the police refused to do. If Thaksin hadn't paid for 90% of the people to attend, they wouldn't have been there. I hope all those facing terrorism charges are convicted, there is ample video evidence to substantiate the charges. That would clear the way for Thaksin to face terrorism charges.......if he ever has the courage to return.

They are more responsible in my opinion

They led their supporters into slaughter

Then like the cowards they are .. ran away

when site hit the fan

because the government in a public statement before the Putak Siam rally declared all responsibilities lay firmly with the police and wiped their hands of it, something a lot of people overlooked but I didn't

From the nation piece:

The troops were carrying out an operation under orders from the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation, but the examination was unable to identity which agency they came from.

In other words there is doubt where the bulet came from.

So how can there a solid conclusion by a court?

for those who suffered the loss of family members for political reasons that could have been avoided, with politically mature, negotiating actions.

Uh, are you new to BKK? mature negotiating actions? The red shirts held the capital hostage for months. They rejected all negotiations offered to them and would only accept resignation of the goverment. Then, when the government finally agreed to resign, the red shirts promised to end their "demonstration".... then the red shirts broke that promise and continued holding the capital hostage. After waiting several more weeks, action was needed to restore some amount of normalcy to the capital.

You can all wring your hands about how the Thai goverment handled the situation (after trying for like 3 months for a non-violent solution!).... but I guarantee in my country (USA), if demonstrators attempted to hold an important city like Washington DC or NYC hostage in the same fashion as the reds, the police/army there would have moved in and made short work after about 3 days.

'politicially mature negotiations' - rose coloured glasses comes to mind.

Edited by scorecard

for those who suffered the loss of family members for political reasons that could have been avoided, with politically mature, negotiating actions.

Uh, are you new to BKK? mature negotiating actions? The red shirts held the capital hostage for months. They rejected all negotiations offered to them and would only accept resignation of the goverment. Then, when the government finally agreed to resign, the red shirts promised to end their "demonstration".... then the red shirts broke that promise and continued holding the capital hostage. After waiting several more weeks, action was needed to restore some amount of normalcy to the capital.

You can all wring your hands about how the Thai goverment handled the situation (after trying for like 3 months for a non-violent solution!).... but I guarantee in my country (USA), if demonstrators attempted to hold an important city like Washington DC or NYC hostage in the same fashion as the reds, the police/army there would have moved in and made short work after about 3 days.

You mean like Occupy Wall Street.I think they were there for more than 3 days ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

you're bringing it off topic but police aggression? nah, police reaction.

Not if they arrested and beat reporters and confiscated the evidence and then lied about it....

• Like 1

you're bringing it off topic but police aggression? nah, police reaction.

In 2010 it was police cowardice.

• Like 1

Still haven't figured it out I see. But now you are hedging your bets.

You say IF they are valid.

If you had a feather up your rear and I had a brand new Roll's we would both be tickled pink

Fact neither one of us has them

Wonderful game the game of IF.

Fact is easily followed terrorist in area where terrorists are attempting to over throw a government and using guns to do it. Terrorist man gets killed same as other terrorists and innocent soldiers do. Difference being soldiers are doing it to protect Democracy. Terrorists are doing it for money and to help set up a dictatorship.

Failed dictator self exile sister legally becomes PM and tries to persecute the honest people who stopped her brother from becoming a dictator.

• Like 1

You mean like Occupy Wall Street.I think they were there for more than 3 days ? whistling.gif

OS didn't bring war weapons and shoot them on the general public, opposition and law enforcement officials. Nor did they burn the place down when faced with eviction.

If an action is justified, it not neccesarily follow that the reaction is valid. In my opinion, Thaksin is as guilty as Arisman, Nuttawut and the rest of the rabble as the army is for the deaths, probably more so, because the army were doing the job that the police refused to do. If Thaksin hadn't paid for 90% of the people to attend, they wouldn't have been there. I hope all those facing terrorism charges are convicted, there is ample video evidence to substantiate the charges. That would clear the way for Thaksin to face terrorism charges.......if he ever has the courage to return.

Spot on.

I have never understood why the rank and file red shirts do not blame the red leaders for putting them in a position to be killed and filling them with hatred from the red stage day after day. I mean it is not rocket science to understand this.

The worst part of it is they knew there followers were doing it for the money. They knew most of the terrorists listening to them had a very little education and were easily fed a line.

The very worst was they knew they could not win and still urged their

fowers on knowing full good and well there would be death.

• Like 1

Spot on.

I have never understood why the rank and file red shirts do not blame the red leaders for putting them in a position to be killed and filling them with hatred from the red stage day after day. I mean it is not rocket science to understand this.

The worst part of it is they knew there followers were doing it for the money. They knew most of the terrorists listening to them had a very little education and were easily fed a line.

The very worst was they knew they could not win and still urged their

fowers on knowing full good and well there would be death.

Correct. And also unforgivable is the fact that they had to have some of the reds dead to complete their plan. Words fail me to describe these scum bags.
  • Like 1

He will never return, the cancellation of his visit to the town in Burma close to the Thai border recently showed how big balls he got.

Still haven't figured it out I see. But now you are hedging your bets.

You say IF they are valid.

If you had a feather up your rear and I had a brand new Roll's we would both be tickled pink

Fact neither one of us has them

Wonderful game the game of IF.

Fact is easily followed terrorist in area where terrorists are attempting to over throw a government and using guns to do it. Terrorist man gets killed same as other terrorists and innocent soldiers do. Difference being soldiers are doing it to protect Democracy. Terrorists are doing it for money and to help set up a dictatorship.

Failed dictator self exile sister legally becomes PM and tries to persecute the honest people who stopped her brother from becoming a dictator.

Minor point - and I'm not defending red-shirts at all, just playing Devils' advocate. Thailand wasn't really a democracy in 2010. The PAD had closed the airport and eventually we said goodbye to the democratically elected PT (I forget, isn't that what they were called back then) government and Thailand had an unelected, therefore undemocratic government. The soldiers were, if taken literally, protecting the exact opposite of democracy. Actually, that's quite a major point whistling.gif . I studied politics and was taught to always look at all of the main picture rather than being emotionally involved or swayed into looking at smaller parts of the whole (explanation, incident, government period etc, whatever the 'whole' was that you were looking at).

Thailand is quite a study - certainly one that I will never get bored of. If I ever manage to understand it, which after a few years I'm doubting. It's easier to explain proportional representation to my (English) mother than explain the basics of current-day Thai politics. Trust me, I've tried both blink.png .

• Like 1