Reliable And Fast (Upload!) Internet Connection On Samui

Can someone tell me what the best option is for fast and reliable internet on Samui. Moving into a new office soon, and working on an internet project. Most products that I checked have downlaods going up to and over 100mbps, but uploads are capped at 2mbps. I need a lot faster upload than that. What are my options? And what if there is a total power outage (like last week)? UPS and Generator will run my stuff locally, but if the provider's infrastructure is not supplied with power, then that is no good either...

Any help and suggestions are welcome!

I wish I could reply with a helpful post , but I was searching for the answer for years , and everyone who said they could do , couldn't ... If you are business reliable 24/7 for Internet connection, best base yourself in Bangkok

• Like 1

Speak to our sponsors, they might be able to help. TOT great within Thailand, but international gateway slow.

Ask :

http://bluechipwireless.com/

I can get it here and they offer a 10 minute free trial. Worth looking at.

Mentions 10 minute free trial on a PDF but can't see anything on their webpage. Don't forget the OP is looking for serious speeds which bluechip is unlikely to provide given the cost. If they do provide these speeds then it knocks the 3bb offer of 100/20 for 25k clean out of the water.

Edited by notmyself

Speak to our sponsors, they might be able to help. TOT great within Thailand, but international gateway slow.

Ask :

Mentions 10 minute free trial on a PDF but can't see anything on their webpage. Don't forget the OP is looking for serious speeds which bluechip is unlikely to provide given the cost. If they do provide these speeds then it knocks the 3bb offer of 100/20 for 25k clean out of the water.

I am not in the Bluechip reception area. Then again, I doubt any wireless provider is able to offer a truly fast and reliable (with power outages) way to connect to the internet.

I will have a more serious look at 3BB Broadband, or fiber. I found a list of fastest providers in Thailand, based on user tests: http://www.netindex.com/upload/2,23/Thailand/. 3bb Broadband averages 5.7mbps upload. Might just be enough for my use, but knowing that one is paying for 20mbps up, it is a hard sell. The truly fast and reliable products are apparently only offered in Bangkok. Well, I guess thats the drawback of living on a paradise island thumbsup.gif

Ask :

I am not in the Bluechip reception area. Then again, I doubt any wireless provider is able to offer a truly fast and reliable (with power outages) way to connect to the internet.

I will have a more serious look at 3BB Broadband, or fiber. I found a list of fastest providers in Thailand, based on user tests: http://www.netindex..../2,23/Thailand/. 3bb Broadband averages 5.7mbps upload. Might just be enough for my use, but knowing that one is paying for 20mbps up, it is a hard sell. The truly fast and reliable products are apparently only offered in Bangkok. Well, I guess thats the drawback of living on a paradise island thumbsup.gif

5.7 is BB Broadband, 3bb shows 2.28.

Perhaps some members here who have FTTH can shed some light on their paid for speeds and what they get. Actual speeds one can get on ADSL (etc) are influenced by attenuation and noise which you shouldn't get on a fibre line. While I was looking at the 3bb site I noticed the 50/20 was 6k (rather than 25k for the 100/20) which is not too bad if you actually get those speeds.

The international gateway could prove to be a problem but it seems that we (and most of the south) so do suffer with this as much as members in Chang Mai have reported. I'm on a 13/1 ADSL but get 15/1 24/7

I wish I could reply with a helpful post , but I was searching for the answer for years , and everyone who said they could do , couldn't ... If you are business reliable 24/7 for Internet connection, best base yourself in Bangkok

the price for living on a tropical island

the price for living on a tropical island

And it is worth it! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

There are no easy answers.

I have just run a speedtest (http://www.speedtest.net/) on two providers to Bangkok, on two computers simultaniously. The result (for what it is worth) is -

TOT (desktop) ping 55, d/l 10.36 Mbps, u/l .42 Mbps cost about 700 baht per month. You will need a housebook or a company for this.

3BB (laptop), ping 26, d/l 11.46 Mbps, u/l 1.05 Mbps cost about 900 baht per month paid for 12 months in advance.

Reliability - TOT crapp - 3BB pdg.

Look at fibre optic. (I cannot get it where I live.)

I have just run a speedtest (http://www.speedtest.net/) on two providers to Bangkok, on two computers simultaniously. The result (for what it is worth) is -

TOT (desktop) ping 55, d/l 10.36 Mbps, u/l .42 Mbps cost about 700 baht per month. You will need a housebook or a company for this.

3BB (laptop), ping 26, d/l 11.46 Mbps, u/l 1.05 Mbps cost about 900 baht per month paid for 12 months in advance.

Fibre is the only option. I can get it but don't see the point as it will cost more.

Fibre is the only option. I can get it but don't see the point as it will cost more.

I have Fibre Optic, fairly reliable barring unforeseen national disruption. TOT 12 down 2 up 1600 Baht a month.Service from techs if & when needed, here in half an hour most times.

Gulf,

It's Matt here from Bluechip. Sorry about the late reply, I haven't logged in here for a while as I'm flat out with work.

Why do you need such a fast upload? The main question is what are you uploading and to where? The geographic location is very important here. If you want to transfer files to an office in Bangkok, then you'll be fine, however going outside of the country is a nightmare. The International Gateway speeds here aren't great and speeds also vary ISP to ISP.

We have hardware available than can connect together multiple lines. It isn't true bonding, but we use Mikrotik's PCC. This works for both download and upload. We can connect any number of lines. At many of our customers site we use 5 x 13Mb 3BB lines for speed as primary connection and a TOT or/and CAT fiber for redundancy. This gives the best speed and also the best protection in that your connection will still run as long as one ISP is still up.

With regards to power outages, I run all my equipment at wireless sites on UPS's. If you're just running a modem and wireless router, a 500VA (We only recommend APC brand) will last around 3-4 hours. I have a 3.5VA at home and this will run equipment for around 24 hours.

During the 4 day power outage earlier in the month, two of my sites stayed up through the entire 4 days. These sites both had CAT fiber lines and the site also had its own generator. All my sites using 3BB and TOT went offline due to their infrastructure failing. 3BB first, then TOT.

If you have any more questions, drop me a PM.

All the best,

Matt.

• Like 1

I have Fibre Optic, fairly reliable barring unforeseen national disruption. TOT 12 down 2 up 1600 Baht a month.Service from techs if & when needed, here in half an hour most times.

No point for 'me' I mean. What I have is enough.