Aus Oap

keith101

i realise people are probably sick of these posts . just finished talking with internatiol services in Hobart ( freecall from thai 001 800 61104136 ) and asked about a return to Aus before turning 65 (now 60) how long would would i have to be there before being eligale to claim oap and if i need to remain after claiming. the very nice lady told me if i returned to live in Aus 2 years before turning 65 i could claim immediately and be paid overseas straight away and not have to do the 2 years qualification period . she also said something about returing at age 67 and not do the 2 years but not sure if i heard correctly but a phone call from anyone interested to the above number will give clarification .

my wife does not want me to go back and thinks she can take care of me financially with money from her small market but highly unlikely to ever make enough to do it . she also has a tipper truck which seems to spend as much time getting repairs as on the road working but god bless her for thinking of ways to keep me here .

That's true, you do either have to live permanently in Australia for two years either prior, or after turning 65, to qualify for the OAP. I assume this is to prevent migrants who have Oz citizenship from claiming an OAP even after they have returned to their native country for many years.

Thanks Keith. Yes i am sure that it is benifical to go directly to "overseas pensions" branch of Centrelink.

About 3 yrs ago i was having problems with Centrelink Caboolture Qld. They were threatening to cut my pension unless i did certain things to satisfy them. Luckily i got on to overseas pensions and was told within an hour that there were no problems and that i should not talk with the Caboolture mob who seems to have problems with everthing. Recently i returned there to report that i was once again leaving the country, and would you believe it.

"Unless i get them a signed form" by some impossible date, i am now back on Samui, my pension could be stopped. I will call the number which you have gratefully supplied.

Once again thanks mate.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the pension period of 10 working age years in australia for full pension amount transferability is now being raised to I believe 35 years so if you have been in australia during your working life" for less you will only be paid a part pension outside Australia.

• Like 1

Another thing to take into consideration is that the pension period of 10 working age years in australia for full pension amount transferability is now being raised to I believe 35 years so if you have been in australia during your working life" for less you will only be paid a part pension outside Australia.

True, however the 35 year 'qualifying' working period for the full pension has been effect for some time now, it certainly applied 5 years ago when I applied for the OAP. Not sure but by the time the OP qualifies the retirement age may have been raised to 67. Centrelink will know. He will have to reside for 2 years in Aus to qualify, this was introduced about 10 years ago to stop all the Kiwis that were rorting the system.