World Bank Paints Improved Economic Future For Thailand

World Bank paints improved economic future for Thailand

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Dec 19 – The World Bank (WB) has adjusted Thailand’s economic growth this year from 4.5 per cent to 4.7 per cent and positively forecast a 5 per cent expansion next year, according to a senior economist.

Kirida Bhaopichitr, a WB senior economist for East Asia and Pacific, said increased household consumption and investment after last year’s massive floods in Thailand, the government’s stimulation of consumer purchases and the successive inflow of foreign funds have contributed to the economic growth despite the country’s declining exports from 9.5 per cent last year to only 3 per cent this year due to the global economic slowdown and crisis in Europe and the US.

Thailand’s economic growth next year is predicted at 5 per cent thanks to revitalisation in the economic sector and the global economy, she said, adding that Thailand’s exports should expand to 5.5 per cent next year while investments in the private and public sections should increase by 8 per cent and 15 per cent respectively.

Consumption in the private sector should expand by 3.6 per cent and the public sector by 3 per cent, said Dr Kirida.

She pointed out that continuous domestic investments are mainly from the Bt60 billion water management project, tax refunds for first-car owners, and higher domestic consumption.

Inflation will expand within 3 per cent while the forecast interest rate for next year will be 2.75 per cent, similar to this year’s.

The WB economist said the European economic crisis, domestic political uncertainty and the nationwide minimum wage implementation remain the risk factors for the Thai economy and exports, while the government’s rice pledging scheme is impacting Thailand’s competitiveness in theglobal market. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-19

Increased Investments? Who? Most people I know in Thailand have been reduced to rolling their own cigerettes rather than buy packaged cigerettes. I know country people without 20 baht in their pockets. This lady in nuts or smoking her own brand of tobacco..

Increased Investments? Who? Most people I know in Thailand have been reduced to rolling their own cigerettes rather than buy packaged cigerettes. I know country people without 20 baht in their pockets. This lady in nuts or smoking her own brand of tobacco..

Ah, I'd have been SO disappointed if any member of the Gloom And Doom brigade failed to show.

Always funny. :)

Edited by JSixpack

Ah, I'd have been SO disappointed if any member of the Gloom And Doom brigade failed to show.

Always funny. smile.png

so ,whats your take on things ? anything to add from your fount of knowledge

Always funny. smile.png

so ,whats your take on things ? anything to add from your fount of knowledge

Need spoon feeding, eh?

OK, should be enough to get you started on the "who" question:

http://marketdata.se...e=en&country=US

You can just refresh that page every day if you like.

Then you can look up publicly listed companies and find out the names of the individuals owning the highest number of shares as well as number of shares held by by foreign investors.

This will come as shock to your whole belief system: most Thais have more than 20 baht in their pockets--or bank accounts.

And they just don't roll their own. Here's the latest annual report from Philip Morris Int'l, which reports stable or growing sales in Thailand:

http://phx.corporate...TF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

And you can also research the Thai Tobacco Monopoly here:

http://www.thaitobacco.or.th/eng/

Finally I think we can rest assured that at no time in Thailand's history has every citizen had at least 20 baht in his/her pocket at every moment. And this will continue into the future no matter how large the economy grows. A comparable situation exists in every country.

So, what we have here is just another typical poor-mouth troll response to sneer at any good economic news about Thailand by the "Occupy" movement.

Been through this so many times, the next troll response is to claim the figures are all fake, despite all the packed department stores and rise in share prices--which, if a gloom-and-doomer weren't so "wise," he could have cashed in on. smile.png

You could call me a gloomy type from other threads maybe, but based on gov snd personal debt levels and potential credit expansion following the current system set up then clearly Thailand and SEasia has many years ahead of it before they reach the western stagflation / debt saturated malaise. But that's not to say it can not suffer a some bumps or even major upheaval; there are still a number of serious risks; still better than most.

I read in yesterday Times (UK newspaper) the SET had risen 31% this year and 113% over the last 3years. They were billing it as one of thier top 5 investments for next year with in the "money" section of the paper. Another was prime central London property but Thailands SET was the pick for easy investment to suit any budget by way of an index tracking ETF