How Hard Can Looking For A House To Buy In Chiang Mai Be?

TommoPhysicist

Ban Wangtan, Mae Hia/Hang Dong area, has homes f/s from ~1.5m which tend to be older style (10 y/o) on small blocks (65 wah), but the developer has recently finished a few new homes priced just over 2m.

There are many other homes f/s, nice modern homes on small blocks AND/OR older homes in need of TLC on larger blocks, for ~ 2.5m asking price - probably worth around 1.8m to 2.0m.

Asking prices are just that... an ask! Don't pay over the odds as re-sale is a very slow process.

Incidentally, Ban Wangtan is often put-down by a minority on this forum, yet it's 600+ homes are ~ 75% farang-owned or occupied as rentals. Apart from one or 2 soi's with noisy dogs, it is a very peaceful, well-maintained mooban.

Waiver: I have no financial interest in BWT, rent at present but looking to buy , dislike dogs and noise.

The houses you've mention for 2-2.5 M,how many Br/Bath on average and how many sg m,do you know?

2 large (or 3 smaller) bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. ~120sqm.

The house we rent @ 10k pm, is on 95 wah, 4 years old and has 2- 4m x 4m bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a western kitchen. We'd happily buy it, if for sale, and valued around 1.9m.

Nearly bought one house on 66 wah, @ 1.4m, but it needed another 500k spent to modernise*. The eventual buyers did exactly what we would have done, adding a kitchen, and that house looks superb! [*we want land area greater than 90 wah].

That's looks pretty standard than...I have 2 neighbors that recently have build houses next to mine,1 story and about 110-120 sqm and one was build by the BIL of the neighbor for about 2M and the other by the contractor for about 1.6M,but the pour guy is still working himself on the finish for almost a year now... the land here is still cheap for about 5K/wah,so I don't know if the 'standard' house can be done for much less...my friend tried and it end up costing him about the same...and he was there all the time during the construction for about one year...and still working on some finishing touches till now(hes labor not included)..oh well, it's not really that much one can do about cutting costs here,is it...sad.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, Ban Wangtan is often put-down by a minority on this forum, yet it's 600+ homes are ~ 75% farang-owned or occupied as rentals. Apart from one or 2 soi's with noisy dogs, it is a very peaceful, well-maintained mooban.

I have no interest on living on an estate with foreigners.

No problem with the foreigners, many problems arising from the sort of women they often live with.

I have no interest in letting my wife participate in the 'my husband pays me a wage for being his wife, etc.' discussions they love so much.

If given a choice, I would choose the dogs barking all night every time.

66wah @ 1.2-1.4M in need of modernization would suit me very well.

That's a very 'strange' statement. Majority of farangs in BWT are well-healed with lovely wife & family, from many countries, ...crikey, some wives even come from Thailand. coffee1.gif

If you buy a property, make sure to make a contract with the seller so he cannot sell it until you get the ok from the bank.

1.5 In total or plus loan?

These ones have nice houses for 2M

http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com/listing/new-house-for-sale-77.html

1.7M http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com/listing/house-for-sale-55.html

Is not easy to find cheap ones in a good condition

• Like 1

Everyones a realitor if you ask them if they know of land for sale .... and you are correct about the realtors they are going to add 3 to 5 percent to what you can buy it for .... Best find the land , go to land office find who owns it and deal with them direct ....

...even people working in land office are 'realtors'...

I know that first hand , when we went to the land office to find out who owned the property we wanted to buy . Lady at land office said she would look it up for us . She called the next day and told us the price but never gave us the phone number . We got the number on our own called bought the property no 3 percent to the land office realtor ..... Funny thing was when we went to transfer got the same lady , some funny looks but not a word said .... She did get 500 tea money from us though ,,, only fair ..

...........but the websites are not good, not even a map to identify the address, and as for a description other than 2 bed/2 bath/no aircon well useless really.

Its a ploy to make you phone up or call into their offices.

There is a reason for this and it's been mentioned in several posts. "Everyone is a Realtor" - you can be pretty sure that if a house is listed with one of the companies organised enough to actually have a website, there will not only be a sign on the front gate but the immediate neighbours will all have been promised commission (less commission) for introducing a sale. Given the difficulties and costs of enforcing a contract with an agent, the last thing any of them are likely to do is to give you a map to the property and get themselves cut out of the deal.

I have it on good authority many foreigners live in one room condos, you can't get more 'basic lump of concrete' than that.

......you did say "house"......just trying to clue you into the real estate realities of CM....

'cheap & 'good' ... is possible, again Good Luck.

Edited by HaleySabai

I find the DDproperty web page best (English and Thai), up to date, can sort by price, bedrooms, district, amphur....and functioning maps etc.

Mitchproperty has some good stuff as well

I contacted two people advertising houses through DDproperty, both ads posted in the last two weeks.

Neither bothered to reply ........ hardly surprising so many sellers fail to find buyers, the agents don't do their jobs.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

1.5million is your budget?...... you will get nothing but a basic lump of concrete on a tiny plot of land in a noisy unpleasant Hood.

Good Luck.....

Total rubbish.

For example, in certain parts of Hang Dong, near the police station, it is possible to buy a nice plot of land almost half a rai in size for about 400 to 500 thousand baht and have a fair sized home built that you can design yourself for approx 700 to 800 thousand baht, maybe cheaper depending on the quality of building materials used. That’s exactly what my wife’s cousin done who is married to an Irish guy, only 8 months ago and I very much don`t that the prices have increased since then.

Avoid the rip-off farang priced real estate agents and those advertised in the classifieds, as most of them are well over priced.

Once you find a desirable plot of land, it is always easy to find the local builders.

Would love to find 1/2 rai for that amount even a Rai Cash sitting in the Bank smile.png I will have to take a drive around see if I can fine some land like that I am being quoted 4 Million for a Rai in Hang Dong and between 7-12000 baht per square Wah, this is calling the numbers on the for sale signs

So anyone out there that has something like Beetle is on about PM me

DK

Good luck finding a plot for that low a price. Hand Dong is not as cheap as it once was. Half a rai around Kad farang between 1.8 and 2.5 million these days. Unless you want to go bush that is.

• Like 1

No problem with the foreigners, many problems arising from the sort of women they often live with.

I have no interest in letting my wife participate in the 'my husband pays me a wage for being his wife, etc.'

....where did you live before,Pattaya?...whistling.gif

• Like 1

1.5million is your budget?...... you will get nothing but a basic lump of concrete on a tiny plot of land in a noisy unpleasant Hood.

Good Luck.....

Total rubbish.

For example, in certain parts of Hang Dong, near the police station, it is possible to buy a nice plot of land almost half a rai in size for about 400 to 500 thousand baht and have a fair sized home built that you can design yourself for approx 700 to 800 thousand baht, maybe cheaper depending on the quality of building materials used. That’s exactly what my wife’s cousin done who is married to an Irish guy, only 8 months ago and I very much don`t that the prices have increased since then.

Avoid the rip-off farang priced real estate agents and those advertised in the classifieds, as most of them are well over priced.

Once you find a desirable plot of land, it is always easy to find the local builders.

Would love to find 1/2 rai for that amount even a Rai Cash sitting in the Bank smile.png I will have to take a drive around see if I can fine some land like that I am being quoted 4 Million for a Rai in Hang Dong and between 7-12000 baht per square Wah, this is calling the numbers on the for sale signs

So anyone out there that has something like Beetle is on about PM me

DK

Good luck finding a plot for that low a price. Hand Dong is not as cheap as it once was. Half a rai around Kad farang between 1.8 and 2.5 million these days. Unless you want to go bush that is.

Its not there best we found was behind the Hang Dong hospital 7700 per sqw and we looked long and hard . If you want land or a home close to town you are going to pay a prime price ....

• 5 weeks later...

Cmon Thommo real men dont let women choose which house.

BTW youtube has houses in Chiang mai for sale. Have a look.

I never let my woman (either of em) have anything to do with the houses I look at.

That would be asking her to attempt some sort of personal 'commission' ....... 200k-400k.

Thais can't resist, so don't ever give them the chance.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Ban Wangtan, Mae Hia/Hang Dong area, has homes f/s from ~1.5m which tend to be older style (10 y/o) on small blocks (65 wah), but the developer has recently finished a few new homes priced just over 2m.

There are many other homes f/s, nice modern homes on small blocks AND/OR older homes in need of TLC on larger blocks, for ~ 2.5m asking price - probably worth around 1.8m to 2.0m.

Asking prices are just that... an ask! Don't pay over the odds as re-sale is a very slow process.

Waiver: I have no financial interest in BWT, rent at present but looking to buy , dislike dogs and noise.

The houses you've mention for 2-2.5 M,how many Br/Bath on average and how many sg m,do you know?

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! this guy always 'plugs' BWT - from one who lived there and owned there and lucky to sell (to Thais):

dogs - loads and loads

location - kilometers from anywhere

restaurant so old - downbeat tables and no bar

no security - just go on through!

lighting very poor - cannot see anything from 12 onwards (but can hear those dogs as they chase you!!!)

fitness center shut (locked and bolted)

Swimming pool charges (not included in maintenance charge as are all condos)

etc. etc. etc.

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

Good Luck.....

Total rubbish.

A very sensible post but I think you can actually buy one rai of land for around B 350,000. As others have indicated, the best way to do this is to drive around yourself and identify either land or houses (signs in Thai will give you better prices) preferably with a Thai speaking native. Prices go way up with real estate agents because you are paying them a huge commission. I'm not sure that having "conversations" with locals, as one person suggested, is such a good idea because if you go and ask people at random about land, they too will expect a commission and since you are not a local by definition the prices will be outlandish (sorry for the bad pun). Best is to deal directly and only with the land owners and do this through your Thai friend(s) and not be involved.

I saw an ad (on the Internet originally) that had been posted for very cheap land in the countryside (I think it was 25 rai for B 9 million), called and it turned out it was a realty agency. They said the ad was a "mistake" at first, then they changed their story and said it was a "misprint" and then they said that the land never really existed at all! The ad was just a means of getting people to call them, as far as I could tell. They had, of course, much more expensive land to sell me elsewhere.

I also know of people who have done this (bought land and built their own place) and spent about B 750,000 on building a house which turned out really nice for them. So total cost could be around B 1 million to B 1.5 million; so any homes priced above B 3.5 million (some with very little land which is the most expensive part of building here) are out of line and B 10 million are really, really overpriced.

Edited by TheVicar

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! this guy always 'plugs' BWT - from one who lived there and owned there and lucky to sell (to Thais):

dogs - loads and loads

location - kilometers from anywhere

restaurant so old - downbeat tables and no bar

no security - just go on through!

lighting very poor - cannot see anything from 12 onwards (but can hear those dogs as they chase you!!!)

fitness center shut (locked and bolted)

Swimming pool charges (not included in maintenance charge as are all condos)

etc. etc. etc.

But why so negative... did you pay too much for a house here? Did you always enter BWT via one of the 2 service/emergency gates?Perhaps you are one of those ppl who wish to live in a sterile concrete jungle instead of a green leafy and quiet environment.

We do not own property here, yet. All owners and rental occupiers love the estate. It is predominantly farangs, many Germans, UK, NZ and Aussies. Thai families are generally middle-class hard-working and friendly neighbours.

For what it's worth:-

>Dogs, no more here than any other mooban - I walk the estate daily and have no issues even though I am not a dog lover!

>3.3 km from Airport, 1km to BigC/Makro/HomePro .... smile.png Can walk to shops in 15 mins!

>Restaurant is clean and it has a bar ... food is basic, inexpensive, ambiance superb! Staff attentive and friendly, and theres live music on special occasions.

>Security is similar to many other estates, they monitor registrations, deliveries and are there when trouble occurs. Regular day and night patrols by m/b and bicycle.

>Street lighting is excellent all the way in from main road ... blown lamps replaced and fluro markers/mirrors on intersections upgraded regularly.

>No idea re Gym as I don't use it but I see others in there - tennis court is run down.

>Monthly levy is ~ 500 Bt, much lower than most other estates/condo's so user-pays for pool attendant 30 Bt.... big deal smile.png

Why so bitter about BWT and why post incorrect rubbish about a well-managed (if older, well established) estate?

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

There are good deals out there spotted a 300 sq mtr home on 1100 sq mtrs of land which I beleive is 300 sq wah fully walled 4 bedrooms triple car port landscaped gardens and 5 km to CM it sold for 4 million baht

I thought that was a great deal based on comparable properties that i have looked at

I paid 23,500 USD in BWT in 2006. The dog owners (or the people feeding them, but denying owning them) were my biggest complaint. Then the fee was 250 THB. I wouldn't touch it again with a barge pole. Local scene around there now gets about a 2, on a scale of 1-10. With the extra money you will spend on a car, or heaven forbid taxis, you could buy a condo in a much more convenient location. Couldn't get out of Riverside fast enough in 2004, and haven't been back on the premises since. If it wouldn't rent for 1% of purchase price per month, don't go near it. I didn't mind paying for the pool, and the jet noise wasn't too bad.

• Like 1

I paid 23,500 USD in BWT in 2006. The dog owners (or the people feeding them, but denying owning them) were my biggest complaint. Then the fee was 250 THB. I wouldn't touch it again with a barge pole. Local scene around there now gets about a 2, on a scale of 1-10. With the extra money you will spend on a car, or heaven forbid taxis, you could buy a condo in a much more convenient location. Couldn't get out of Riverside fast enough in 2004, and haven't been back on the premises since. If it wouldn't rent for 1% of purchase price per month, don't go near it. I didn't mind paying for the pool, and the jet noise wasn't too bad.

\

The local scene is better since the Dog and Bone opened and is a pretty busy place just up the road from BWT good food good company and a nice place to hang out very close to BWT and great since you dont have to go into town to have a beer

\

The local scene is better since the Dog and Bone opened and is a pretty busy place just up the road from BWT good food good company and a nice place to hang out very close to BWT and great since you dont have to go into town to have a beer

Whats the Dog and Bone then?

\

Whats the Dog and Bone?

\

Local bar near HD road 7-11. Used to be a pizza restaurant.

\

Local bar near HD road 7-11. Used to be a pizza restaurant.

Any good?

\

Google knows: https://www.facebook...ndbonechiangmai

At that location though you have to seriously dislike driving, to not invest the 10 minutes into town.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai