What Training Do Bus Drivers Get In Thailand ?

fred007

I actually researched this around 3 years ago.

Memory is a little hazy, but to get a license to drive an Intercity bus/coach was something like the following.

Be over 20 yr old.

Be in possession of a valid Thai DL.

Pass a test that involves driving around a track.

That was it.

Given that the Thai DL doesn't mean that you've actually driven on the road, just around an inclosed track, and then the same for the bus license, it means that they can get a license to drive an Intercity bus without ever haven driven on the road before.

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.

I'm with this reply. I suppose the OP is a legitimate question but what the purpose of the answer. Foreigners are not allowed to drive buses.

It is in the bus company's interest to have reliable competent drivers otherwise they would be soon out of business. Most long distance buses here have scheduled routes they don't have to race between stops, like the old BKK green buses, to steal passengers from there fellow drivers.

On our way to Chiang Mai not so long ago I was passed by two coaches doing a tremendous speed on the motorway near Lampang. Absolute madness in that hill country......it would be absolute madness anywhere. You can condone that sort of behaviour?

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.I'm with this reply. I suppose the OP is a legitimate question but what the purpose of the answer. Foreigners are not allowed to drive buses.It is in the bus company's interest to have reliable competent drivers otherwise they would be soon out of business. Most long distance buses here have scheduled routes they don't have to race between stops, like the old BKK green buses, to steal passengers from there fellow drivers.

And yet they still do! Just watch the 88 buses on Petchkasem road Nakhon Pathom. It would be hilarious if not so dangerous. Some drivers are OK. But plenty that drive extremely aggressive.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

The buses don't only race (and quite needlessly at that)... They also ride in convoys. On the road to Hua Hin, at night, I was sandwiched between a line of buses on the rightmost lane, all riding behind each other (6 or seven of them) and one on the leftmost lane...

Just imagine the danger when overtaking that gang of elephants, especially as the guy on left did not seem very respectful of the lane partition.

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.

I'm with this reply. I suppose the OP is a legitimate question but what the purpose of the answer. Foreigners are not allowed to drive buses.

It is in the bus company's interest to have reliable competent drivers otherwise they would be soon out of business. Most long distance buses here have scheduled routes they don't have to race between stops, like the old BKK green buses, to steal passengers from there fellow drivers.

I quite often use a bus between Mahasarakham and Bangkok. One of the drivers seems to go quite slowly most of the way and then speeds up a lot as he nears the city.

Before 1970 in the UK you could drive what you like. I was one of the first to take the new HGV test in 1970. I passed first time. thumbsup.gif

So not that long ago eh.

Sorry it is a long time ago and that does mean you're old. I took my car test in 1971 so I know.