F1: Ecclestone Gives Bangkok Grand Prix The Green Light

webfact

I don’t know of one piece of road smooth enough for race cars (especially formula cars) except the Bira Circuit (in Pattaya) and the at the 2 Bangkok airport's runways. but I don’t think they will be using any of these?

I have a saloon race car that I also drive on the public roads and I am constantly crashing the underside of the vehicle and even on the motorways the car is severely speed restricted because of the horrendous bumpiness!

Anyone know where a track will be marked out? or will they build a track?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"championship-winner Red Bull Racing carried out a demonstration run through the streets of the nation's capital"

Was that by any chance the demonstration by the red bull owner's son on sukhumvit soi 53 at 5.30 am a few months ago?

Yes in co-operation with Farrari

Yes so what they might consider doing is get all the nations police to link arms along the edge of the track to prevent the cars hitting spectators.

Or are the BIB shaking in thair high heel boots when the words Ferrari or Red Bull are mentioned?

If the Thai's can get an airport to float in a swamp I'm pretty sure laying a bit more tarmac shouldn't be too much of a problem. whistling.gif

If any of you have been to Monaco you'll know that road circuit isn't smooth thumbsup.gif

True but Monaco is in daylight hours, what happens here when the electric pops off ? even if it is only for a minute or less, 250 - 320 KMH suddenly plunged into total darkness.. 9 years here and still most days the electric pops off sometimes many times in a day, OK mostly just a few seconds..........even 1 or 2 seconds total darkness at those speeds would be a disaster

Now there's an amusing idea! Can we have the race on/off the motorways? Should be spectactular then!

Might actually be something to consider. What about the raised highway over by the new immigration offices? They could race on the upper and lower parts using those big u-turn ramps to complete the circuit. It would only take up half the space and they could use all those cement columns from the highway they never completed to make raised seating. You could have spectators on the bottom and top. wink.png

I was joking of course but can't help but wonder if it is doable. I never pay attention when I am going through that area but wonder if they have those u-turn lanes in both directions at a distance to make a proper circuit. If F1 would go along that would probably be a hugely viewed race on TV as people wait to see not just a crash but if a car will go off the raised highway.

You mean the hopewell project that failed because of rampant corruption?

To all the posters here, all the experts here who said it could never happen, it will never happen, ,how do you feel now ?

I feel pretty much the same.

I still don't think it will happen.

I hope I'm wrong as I am an ardent F1 follower.

Edited by Woodsie888
  • Like 1

Who will be paying the bill not the politicians for sure, no doubt the very poor farmers i also expect that there will be a lot of arguments over who will get the TV rights yet another farce like the Olympics. Only the very few elitests will make buckets of money from this event whilst the average worker will not even have enough money to buy a ticket to watch the race !!!!!!!!

If the Thai's can get an airport to float in a swamp I'm pretty sure laying a bit more tarmac shouldn't be too much of a problem. whistling.gif

If any of you have been to Monaco you'll know that road circuit isn't smooth thumbsup.gif

True but Monaco is in daylight hours, what happens here when the electric pops off ? even if it is only for a minute or less, 250 - 320 KMH suddenly plunged into total darkness.. 9 years here and still most days the electric pops off sometimes many times in a day, OK mostly just a few seconds..........even 1 or 2 seconds total darkness at those speeds would be a disaster

Prob same as Singapore

How do they light up the track?

The race requires 108,423 metres of power cables, 240 steel pylons and approximately 1,600 light projectors, all of which must be installed over a period of three months.

The power requirement is 3,180,000 watts with an illumination measurement of around 3000 lux - effectively four times brighter than floodlights in most football stadiums.

The entire track, including the run-off areas, has to be lit consistently. The lighting system used needs to minimise glare and reflections from wet surfaces or spray from cars should it rain.

And should one of the 12 twin-powered generators that creates the electricity fail, a substitute generator will kick in as a back-up. Each generator has its own dedicated engineer, waiting to solve any problems immediately

Bit more info here on the Singapore GP http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19667126

Thailand do not deserve and F1 race

People here are non responsive to large sporting events

Futsal games were poorly attended

ROC last weekend was poorly attended

Give the race to a city where people care

What the heck are Futsal and ROC? Jeez I guess that I must belong here. I honestly have no idea.smile.png

Ecclestone is a total scum bag.

He gave an FI green light to Russia as he said there's more business money to be made there.

So now why Thailand?

Corruption.

That's why.

The event will never lead to any F1 in Thailand.

EVER.

I do not for one milli second believe it will hold any 'show' event.

Next.

What the heck are Futsal and ROC? Jeez I guess that I must belong here. I honestly have no idea.smile.png

ROC is the Race of Champions, held last weekend in Bangkok. Champions from all walks of the racing world (incl. F1 champs Schumacher and Vettel took part). Not really a mass- event among Thais, as too expensive.

Futsal is roughly indoor- soccer. World Cup was held last month in Thailand. A stadium should have been finished in Bangkok for that purpose. It wasn't, due to secrurity matters, FIFA dint allow it to be used. BKK- govenor blames FIFA for aaaaaaaall the things happening and threatened to sue them. Before you ask: FIFA is the World Soccer Federation and the most powerful sports- organisation on the planet!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Never having been to a F1 race, I would like to watch it (if it happens) without inane commentators & 'short breaks' every 10 minutes.

Wonder who will benefit from the scams that surround all projects here? Rhetorical question.

All I. Can say is well done Bangers?

Maybe. You could let, Kayalami,, Watkins Glen, Monza, Paul Ricard Spa Francochamp, Brands Hatch, Imaloa, + of course Silverstone +others kow where they all went wrong, as they have all been excluded, or threatened with exclusion from the F1 calenda.

Jb1

Jimbeam1

Not sure of your point, Bernie owns Paul Ricard…….

You never know by 2015 might even be a few Thai drivers driving in F1 I know a few taxi drivers who would give any F1 driver a run for their money, and most are used to driving on slicks and also driving in the rain with no wipers.

• Like 1

Maybe. You could let, Kayalami,, Watkins Glen, Monza, Paul Ricard Spa Francochamp, Brands Hatch, Imaloa, + of course Silverstone +others kow where they all went wrong, as they have all been excluded, or threatened with exclusion from the F1 calenda.

Jb1

Jimbeam1

He also intends to take F1 back there soon

Great for Bangkok and Thailand.

More tourists, more $$$, more international credibility and probably the only people on the planet against it are the nay sayers on TV.........

There are many others against it for various reasons but it is potentially good for Thailand. Time will tell if that is the case. Will the people in charge be more interested in what they can make out of it than the benefits to the country? Le's hope not.

You won’t need to worry about the lights going off people will be standing buy with new 2 pin plug tops and a bamboo ladder lights back on in a jiffy , No problem .

You won’t need to worry about the lights going off people will be standing buy with new 2 pin plug tops and a bamboo ladder lights back on in a jiffy , No problem .

Jiffy ?

You mean they gonna build a Jiffy for a quick refreshing during a pit stop? ?

Great for Bangkok and Thailand.

More tourists, more $$$, more international credibility and probably the only people on the planet against it are the nay sayers on TV.........

I wouldn't say I am against it, I am just wary of the government's ability to pull this off at all, never mind successfully. I imagine I am not the only one that would love to see an international sporting event such as an F1 race held in Bangkok (although a night race around the temples in Ayudhya would be way cooler IMHO), but the years here have, with good reason, made me cynical.

If indeed F1 quality roads, spectator seating and facilities, infrastructure, and provisions for the traffic disruption are all over come, I will be the first to whole heartedly congratulate the government as I enjoy the sight of F1 cars whizzing by. But well, you know, this is Thailand. Better not to get prematurely excited.

You may think the idea of two dozen high powered F1 cars screaming around the ancient temples of Ayuttaya is, as you put it, "way cool'.

However, as much as I love F1 racing, I hardly think the Thai fine arts department and other concerned bodies would sanction such an event. Somehow Buddhism and the relative calm of that area don't quite gel with Formula 1 events.

• Like 1

ROC is the Race of Champions, held last weekend in Bangkok. Champions from all walks of the racing world (incl. F1 champs Schumacher and Vettel took part). Not really a mass- event among Thais, as too expensive.

Futsal is roughly indoor- soccer. World Cup was held last month in Thailand. A stadium should have been finished in Bangkok for that purpose. It wasn't, due to secrurity matters, FIFA dint allow it to be used. BKK- govenor blames FIFA for aaaaaaaall the things happening and threatened to sue them. Before you ask: FIFA is the World Soccer Federation and the most powerful sports- organisation on the planet!

I have to admit to sometimes you even makes sense,

btw ...Thats a compliment not a criticismwai.gif

Jb1

Jimbeam1

Ah paul ricard...the name brings back so many memories, I used to ride down there annually from the uk to watch the moto 24 hr endurance.
  • Like 1