Why I Live Where I Live ...

David48

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ some nice posts above and thanks IMA_FARANG ... great contribution ... thumbsup.gif

There are so many different attitudes to take when posting here.

Some like to snipe, some like to contribute ... some, like me, just simply don't care and are strong enough to say what they think ... and I can tell you ... I really enjoy my time in Thailand.

As for why I live where I live, it's because of my gal ... it's her parents farm ... but they have opened the door to me to share shelter under their roof, food at their table and experiences that they think I might like to join with them.

The Farm Father cleaned up an old fan and placed it by the dining table because of the mozzies give me hell. Farm Mother bought me 2 Leo Tall beers the other day ... I didn't ask ... drunk.gif ... and they don't drink.

So I came here because of my gf ... but I live where I live here because of their hospitality.

Others are welcome to share their story ... good or bad ... you'll find an audience here.

Id like to say what I think but sadly thai visa does not allow it, I do not like at all Thai Society in fact I find it quite vile, but I do like the country.

I never followed the mob, I dont drink I hate the taste and find it hard to see how many people do, seems to stem from peer pressure when in their teens to "drink" same with smoking, seriously who smokes their first fag and likes it.

Thailand has many serious issues which are not being addressed, as said above they cant be talked about.........which is even worse.

Their is a total lack of care for their environment and the stupidity is handed down from one generation to the next, the whole country is being slowly ( or not so at times) raped senselessly, its a shame to see.

How can l take your writings seriously when you complain and cannot understand ''why'' many like the taste of something that you don't like. coffee1.gif

How could you take his writings seriously when he posts them on TV?

@ Rattler...."I don't drink I hate the taste"

what drink are you referring to??

If it is alcohol, which is just a crazy guess, then there are more flavours out there than you can imagine......I'm sure there would be at least one that would tantalise your taste buds.

It sure sounds like there is a deep rooted reason for your comment......but anyway, that's not my problem.

Cheers.

• Like 1

@ Rattler...."I don't drink I hate the taste"

what drink are you referring to??

If it is alcohol, which is just a crazy guess, then there are more flavours out there than you can imagine......I'm sure there would be at least one that would tantalise your taste buds.

It sure sounds like there is a deep rooted reason for your comment......but anyway, that's not my problem.

Cheers.

In other words we could talk about itsmile.pngsmile.pngbiggrin.png but that would mean where are going off topic..whistling.gif

I always loved the country. Mainly lived in the city though. Just didn't really like the anonymity of big city living. The relentless grind of the peak hour. For the last few years I got away when ever I could.

Here I am not anonymous, there is no relentless grind, and I'm in the country. Its not perfect but it will do.

post-87221-0-50889200-1356224972_thumb.j

• Like 1

It's a long and somewhat complicated story (I'm probably not alone in that respect). For now, suffice it to say that after spending nearly half my life here, it is -- for better AND worse -- "home".

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

EDIT TO ADD: This was posted after seeing David's wish on another thread that this thread had some growth...bit of a non-answer but better than none? Maybe not.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

As with you Dave I live where my wife grew up and her sister is close by.

It is out in the sticks, but I like it that way. The house is on 6 rai and there is always something to do, I never really get on top of things, so it is forever ongoing. As you can see from the pic. the view down the backyard is pretty easy on the eyes.

Cheers.

Insights can be basic and kept to a minimum also.

I am surprised myself at the slow turn up. This is a very good OP and should be very constructive for people hanging around the campfire herethumbsup.gif

We could all learn from each other by expressing their underlying motivations to live in Thailand. Maybe the problem is not about shyness but about laziness more?

I live in Chumphon, its where my wife was born and where she wanted to return home to returned from living overseas, we have friends here and the peopke here are generally good people, there are plenty of beaches a short drive from here.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

It's only fair to say that that is the same sun that we have in Scotland

SC

EDIT: In the summer evenings. In the winter, we switch to a 60W version, for a few hours around lunchtime, 'cos we're too tight to put ten shillings in the meter.

EDIT: For the sake of politeness, perhaps I should add my tuppenceworth for the OP: I maintain two homes, one handy for the kids' school, that is well-managed and convenient, and another handy for my work, and, entirely coincidentally, the pubs across the road.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

I just got trough with my seasonal 'this place sucks, I'm going to move out'. For some reason it often happens at the same time I have to renew my visa and workpermit...

I used to travel a lot for both work related trips and leisure. I can say that I have seen a great deal of this planet.. and at the same time say that I have yet seen almost nothing.

Basically I'm getting older, more lazy and I'm seeking for comfort and stability in my life. Not the boring one, but the one where it's possible to build something and be sure that will stand for the next few decades.. no matter who is in charge of the country during that time.

I know many of the people have managed to get the stability here in Thailand. It does not mean that there would not be problems, it simply means that all of these problems can be overcome without fear of loosing it all.

Currently I live in very quiet corner of Phuket, where the nature is absolute beautiful and life goes on with slow pace. I can not say that I'm part of the society, but I can say that I'm still acknowledged person here. Nothing special, but the way that every day goes by. People smile, say their hi's and be friendly in general. Communication is naturally one problem as both sides can not talk so well the languages the other party does.

Why I want to live here? Surrounding nature is one major point. It's absolutely beautiful here. Another thing is to have a chance to live in a place without close neighbors. I hear the sounds of the nature and not the neighbors or traffic. If I wish I can put my stereos to the full volume and nobody cares. This all is part of being free.

When I need other human contact, and I do need, I just have to ride few minutes to the center of the local village.. or for shopping in an super market, add 30 minutes more.

To compete with this environment is not easy for any country.

There are naturally drawbacks. One is not to have a good community on which I could interact in an easy way (farangs who speak for example Engslish). I try to change that on my own way by creating websites for this area.. and slowly trying to get people together.

I suppose we'll never find the perfect place, but we can make it.

post-58566-0-83998100-1339264389_thumb.j

Just dropped the kids off at the end of the klong (canal) and just me and the Farm mother taking the return journey home.

Maybe 7ish?

I wasn't much of a help ... more like just a big ballast me thinks.

This was just one a series from taking the kids to school ...

What a great way to get to school. The kids probably just take it in their stride. Imagine the response if you showed kids back in farangland this video.

I just love the country way of life.

• Like 1

whistling.gif A personal story.

When I was 20 years old I was involved in an accident where I seriously believed I was going to die right there and then.

Obviously, I didn't die then,

However I was knocked unconscious for a minute or two.

At the point I was knocked out I really expected to die.... I remember it vividly.

When I woke up, and realized I hadn't died I was so relieved I was alive, my injuries seemed irrelevant.

So, today at 66 years old, I am just glad I am still living ... where I'm living is not really all that Important.

Twice in my life I came within a whisker's length of being killed.

Where I'm living just isn't all that important to me for that reason.

whistling.gif

And what do you say to those people who like to contrast someone who is "merely existing" with someone who is "really living" ? They must seem shallow to you.

Hey there matthelm ... if I could speak on his (IMA_FARANG) behalf ... I read this as a man who has had 2 'near death' experiences and is genuinely just happy to have survived them.

He cares not for 'where he lives' .... but just that 'he lives'. Where ever he lays his hat ... it's home.

As for "contrast someone who is "merely existing" with someone who is "really living" ?" ... well, everyone's mileage differs.

Some have to live their remaining days (at a million miles an hour) as each one is their last.

Some know that the sun will rise in the morning, no matter what they think* ... mileage varies ... biggrin.png

Why do you Matt live where you live?

* ... but we are told the end of the world will occur overnight. I have bought my beer and will enjoy toasting this good Earth a fond farewell ... but not be surprised if, when I wake in the morning ... whistling.gif

EDIT ... added '(at a million miles an hour)' for clarification

I too have been on death's door. But that has nothing to do with why I live where I live.

Truth be known I was 64 when I decided to call Thailand home. Prior to that I had lived in 3 different places 1 in the states and 2 in Canada. Truth was I never felt at home in any of them.

I came here to see Thailand. Silly me thought I could do it in a month. Met a lady here in Chiang Mai decided to give it a go. Cut all material ties and moved here because this is where the Girl friend lives.

Twice this year I have traveled in Thailand. In Feb. we spent 11 days on business and holiday in Pattaya. Couldn't wait to get home. Spent one week in Krabi and was happy to be heading home,

Not sure why I live here but it is the first place I have ever felt was home and I am not questioning it just loving it.

• Like 2

This thread lets me avoid making my own thread entitled I Found My Rose Tinted Glasses That I Lost In Phuket.

OF all the places I never thought I would rediscover the Thailand I once enjoyed and liked, I have found it here in Udon Thani.

When I first came to Thailand I spent six months travelling from north to south and then island hoping, finally settling down for a month on Koh Samui.

At this point I hadn't visited Issan but decided to visit as a long haired type persuaded me to go.

The first evening I went for a walk around the lake in a town just south of Udon. It was just getting dark and a dodgy looking Thai guy was trying to get my attention, I tried to avoid him as I had been hassled so many times before on the islands. He pulled out a bag of fruit and with a big toothless grin offered me some.

I lived there for 5 years living with a Thai family on the farm. Not the most beautiful part of Thailand but imho the nicest people.

• Like 1