Convicts Face A Cooler Ride To Jail: Thailand

webfact

Convicts face a cooler ride to jail

PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet has approved a Bt492million budget for the purchase of 300 air-conditioned vehicles to transport prison inmates.

Sunai Jullapongsathorn, who chairs the House committee on foreign affairs, revealed the information at a seminar yesterday. Held by the Justice Ministry, the seminar addressed the detention and fettering of prisoners, and the rights of prisoners and inmates.

"The vehicles used by the Corrections Department are clearly old. Inmates in the vehicles feel hot and uncomfortable," Sunai said.

When he became aware of this problem, Sunai said he wrote to the Corrections Department suggesting air-conditioned vehicles be used for the transportation of prisoners/inmates.

"I've heard that the department has followed the advice and requested the budget for the purchase of the new vehicles. "The Cabinet has approved the request," Sunai said.

He also supported the idea of using electronic devices to keep track and monitor inmates, rather than physically locking them up in jail.

"I understand the devices are expensive but perhaps the government may require prisoners to pay for half the expense," he said.

Sunai believed the move would ease overcrowding at prisons.

National Human Rights Commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara, meanwhile, voiced concern about the use of fettering and its impact on human dignity. He said some inmates not yet found guilty were often fettered in line with current rules.

The rules require the fettering of all male inmates aged not over 60 to prevent any attempt at jailbreak or suicide.

"At the international level, there is criticism about fettering as well as the healthcare services for inmates in Thailand," Niran said.

He also mentioned the case of Ampon Tangnoppakul, who died while serving a jail term for a lese-majeste offence earlier this year.

Niran pointed out that the Corrections Department might have failed to take care of Ampon's health well enough.

Corrections Department's senior executive Lawan Ornsamlee explained that prisoners were only handcuffed at correctional facilities.

"Only convicts held on grave offences are fettered by both ankles and wrists," she said.

Other prisoners were fettered in the same way only when they travelled out of correctional facilities.

However, Lawan reckoned the use of fettering might have made it seem like her agency had infringed on prisoners' rights.

"We are considering the use of better fettering devices," she said.

Rights and Liberties Protection Department's director-general Narat Sawettanan believed there were many dimensions to tackling problems about the welfare of prisoners.

"Crime prevention, alternative justice and restorative justice are among the possible solutions," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-20

Rights and Liberties Protection Department's director-general Narat Sawettanan believed there were many dimensions to tackling problems about the welfare of prisoners.

"Crime prevention, alternative justice and restorative justice are among the possible solutions," he said.

Perhaps the Yingluk administration could give a few pointers on " alternative justice" they seem to be good at that one !

giggle.gif AIRCONDITIONING and No T.V.; & no stopping off at a 5 star hotel for a meal with all the trimmings...it appears they powers that be have over looked some items...

You don't believe that people, guilty of a crime or not, should be treated as human beings then?

• Like 1

You don't believe that people, guilty of a crime or not, should be treated as human beings then?

Spare me days another hand wringing, social engineer. Most of these convicted criminals did not respect the human rights of their victims!

Spare me the arrogance and ignorance that Thai police and judicial system has 0% corruption...........

I used to live near the Bangkok Hilton about 17 years ago. It was really strange as I'd see the truck taking them to court and back. I was amazed at how happy the prisoners always were - packed into that thing on a 40 C day. Often they'd shout hello to me with huge grins as there were not many farang around that area. I'm happy to hear that they can travel in cool conditions.

Edited by Neeranam

I think (and forgive me for stating the rather obvious) that if these prisoners are on their way to and from court then there is a high likelihood that they are either not yet convicted, or not yet sentenced.

So, actually they may well deserve to be treated better! After all, they may not actually be guilty of anything.

I'm speaking from some experience here, I once spent a couple of weeks locked up before being released on bail and eventually acquitted, I was totally innocent and this was proven in the end. Whilst I was locked up (In London) the conditions were MUCH worse than convicted prisoners had to put up with. At that time convicted prisoners had a right to a real toilet, being un-convicted I had just a plastic bucket in the corner of a filthy cell for 2 weeks.

giggle.gif AIRCONDITIONING and No T.V.; & no stopping off at a 5 star hotel for a meal with all the trimmings...it appears they powers that be have over looked some items...

I wouldn't have thought a trip in a non-air-conditioned van with wire mesh open sides would have been too much of an assault on their welfare.

They might want to make some small improvements in the things the general public don't see.

Check out these accommodations at the Bangkok Hilton.

http://www.phaseloop...exp-inside.html

I agree, treat them as human beings, don't pamper them. If they are convicted,inmates, they are usually guilty.

A lot of the buses still operating in Bangkok are non-air conditioned. Is that inhumane?

You beat me on the quote about the buses. Prisoners in air-con please, visitors use that old red thing with no windows that's belching black smoke over there.

• Like 1

I do not see why prisoners should have better treatment than the average working class Thai who is expected to get to work using song taews, motor cycles, boats, and busses, none of which are climate controlled. Call me skeptical, but I think someone is positioned to profit in yet another inflated government acquisition.

• Like 2

But they were treated as human beings before they got there, and they also had the free choice to behave like human beings before they got there, as well as the free choice to not hang around the criminal type (in the event they think they are innocent) before they got there.

Why should their life be made any easier for them after they lose their right to exercise what they should have exercised before they got there? Did they earn the right for air conditioning on the basis that they should be treated like human beings after the facts? Isn't that sending mixed messages?

Moreover, not having air conditioning is not life threatening.

• Like 1

But they were treated as human beings before they got there, and they also had the free choice to behave like human beings before they got there, as well as the free choice to not hang around the criminal type (in the event they think they are innocent) before they got there.

Why should their life be made any easier for them after they lose their right to exercise what they should have exercised before they got there? Did they earn the right for air conditioning on the basis that they should be treated like human beings after the facts? Isn't that sending mixed messages?

So what you are saying is that it would be ok to introduce non air conditioned transfer busses in places like Australia and USA since prisoners are useless scum anyways ?

Spare me days another hand wringing, social engineer. Most of these convicted criminals did not respect the human rights of their victims!

Its quite obvious that you believe that everyone arrested is automatically guilty? As one poster said obviously the Thai police do not get involved in corruption and "fitting people up" to clear their books? Perhaps one day you will find yourself arrested for something that you had no connection with lets hope that they treat you in the way you wish others to be treated. By the way I agree that some guilty people didn't treat their victims as human beings but, I don't agree with your simple logic that two wrongs make a right!!!

So what you are saying is that it would be ok to introduce non air conditioned transfer busses in places like Australia and USA since prisoners are useless scum anyways ?

No. I am playing along the line of thought that perhaps the decision to purchase these items was not thought through entirely, and perhaps the money could have been better spent elsewhere, but still with regards to these institutions. Again, air conditioning is not a priority (in my view) with regards to turning criminals into the sort of people who can be allowed back into society with a certainty that they will not be repeat offenders. Air conditioning seems a bit off the path.

In Western Australia several prisoners being transported in prison vans have died when the airconditioning failed. It may be safe to transport in the open cages but if they are used as holding cells with no motion it is possible that they heat up too much. We do not know what has caused this concern but it may be prisoners have died.

If I were a BKK comuter I'd be pretty well teed off about this. Will the aircon buses actually be used or parked somewhere and left to rot like the fire engines when corruption charges brought and played with until all memory fades?

Maybe the new transoports could sport a large VIP sign and the passengers charged a fare, say, a couple of grams of something or other.

And in December in Montana you would turn the air conditioning on for them.

Most of these Human Rights atavist's could care less about honest citizens. All they care about is criminals. People living on the streets and they are worrying about a convicted murderer or rapist getting a little warm in a vehicle. When they start campaigns to treat the down and out law abiding citizens I might listen to them. In the mean time I will continue to ignore them.

Spare me the arrogance and ignorance that Thai police and judicial system has 0% corruption...........

OK I give up what are you talking about?

Maybe you have not read the article and are referring to another article.

Well; what's done is done. Well, there's no use getting riled up about it. It's not as if the world's problems are going to be solved over night anyways. I guess the only ones who have a gripe anyway are those who pay appreciable taxes. The money that was used most likely did not come from the pockets of most who complain, even though I side with most of their views. Next...