How Many Times A Week Do You Eat 'out'?

jaideeguy

I don't count buying street food (Isan gai yang/som tam, Burmese Library tea leaf salad) and bringing it back to the apt as "eating out", however, as I usually add other home prepared ingredients, wine, etc. to the meal.

Which wine would you recommend with a spicy som tam? biggrin.png

I don't count buying street food (Isan gai yang/som tam, Burmese Library tea leaf salad) and bringing it back to the apt as "eating out", however, as I usually add other home prepared ingredients, wine, etc. to the meal.

A Chateau Neuf de Buriram goes well but not the 2003, it was a bad year.

A Chateau Neuf de Buriram goes well but not the 2003, it was a bad year.

Chateau Neuf de Buriram, fine grape growing district squire.

300px-Ch%C3%A2teauneuf-du-Pape_wine_estate.jpg

Probably a couple of times a week of eating out--similar to other posters this will be Thai stall-type food, with the exception of Muang Pon Laos in Kad Farang which we use occasionally.

Just a question though, based on Mrs. Clodhopper's assumptions about ingredients--does anyone know what pesticides we are ingesting in the Thai grown potatoes available locally??? My daughter has 'gone off' rice as a staple carb and seems to suddenly prefer spuds, having avoided them for years--so, I am keen to find out if I am poisoning her??

They would worry me, but I have no proof. In the US, potatoes are grown only in cold country. Idaho, around the Boise area is famous for "Idaho potatoes" and it's at about 4,000 feet elevation. They are usually grown at about that elevation. The cold, deep freezes in the winter kill the bad guys in the soil that attack potatoes. There are several places like that. Potatoes grown as seed potatoes are grown only from about 4,000 feet up and always potatoes are grown in loose sandy or loam soil. At lower elevations for home gardens, you rotate the place you grow them, repeating maybe every 4 years.

I don't even know what varieties of potatoes are grown in LOS, so take this with a grain of salt.

Lao Kao....burp.gifburp.gif

I keep sourdough culture at home, I make clam chowder to go with it, I make roast beef, chicken pasta, Indians etc...

I only use my homemade sourdough and homemade potato buns for my sandwich or burgers. However.. now a days I eat out almost everyday as I just hate cleaning up afterward. Further more I hate throwing away food as no one else eat them except me and sometimes my wife. I only cook when some guests ask me to. Used to give away leftover roasted beef to temple dog! After all I prefer esan food!

post-131333-0-31362800-1356091369_thumb.

post-131333-0-40070500-1356091385_thumb.

post-131333-0-96304900-1356091409_thumb.

post-131333-0-48395700-1356091530_thumb.

post-131333-0-56911200-1356091545_thumb.

post-131333-0-08810600-1356091584_thumb.

post-131333-0-34915500-1356091599_thumb.

post-131333-0-22114000-1356091662_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 2

A very crisp Sauvignon Blanc.

Probably a couple of times a week of eating out--similar to other posters this will be Thai stall-type food, with the exception of Muang Pon Laos in Kad Farang which we use occasionally.

Just a question though, based on Mrs. Clodhopper's assumptions about ingredients--does anyone know what pesticides we are ingesting in the Thai grown potatoes available locally??? My daughter has 'gone off' rice as a staple carb and seems to suddenly prefer spuds, having avoided them for years--so, I am keen to find out if I am poisoning her??

They would worry me, but I have no proof. In the US, potatoes are grown only in cold country. Idaho, around the Boise area is famous for "Idaho potatoes" and it's at about 4,000 feet elevation. They are usually grown at about that elevation. The cold, deep freezes in the winter kill the bad guys in the soil that attack potatoes. There are several places like that. Potatoes grown as seed potatoes are grown only from about 4,000 feet up and always potatoes are grown in loose sandy or loam soil. At lower elevations for home gardens, you rotate the place you grow them, repeating maybe every 4 years.

I don't even know what varieties of potatoes are grown in LOS, so take this with a grain of salt.

Not so sure about that......

Was working in Bermuda renovating a hotel and wandered into the hotels kitchen. In the Cool storage they had large sacks of potatoes, with the company name, type of potatoe (Idaho) and location from Palmdale California...... Upper desert, 2000' elevation.

Having grown up 20 miles away, I could remember the fields where this farm was located, except back then they grew watermellons!

That means so much to me, thanks! These pictures are for my blog so I took them a bit serious.

Aristide your meals look excellent.

I cannot say I usually like everything I see when

folks show what they eat but all of your dishes look delicious.

• Like 1

I keep sourdough culture at home, I make clam chowder to go with it, I make roast beef, chicken pasta, Indians etc...

I only use my homemade sourdough and homemade potato buns for my sandwich or burgers. However.. now a days I eat out almost everyday as I just hate cleaning up afterward. Further more I hate throwing away food as no one else eat them except me and sometimes my wife.

! I'll gladly take any of the food shown off your hands!! :D

Looks amazing!

• Like 1

I only use my homemade sourdough and homemade potato buns for my sandwich or burgers. However.. now a days I eat out almost everyday as I just hate cleaning up afterward. Further more I hate throwing away food as no one else eat them except me and sometimes my wife.

! I'll gladly take any of the food shown off your hands!! biggrin.png

Looks amazing!

+1. Oh, and times 5 about cleaning up afterwords!

Edited by just_Elaine
  • Like 1

There are so many good, and remarkably reasonably priced, restaurants in CM that I eat dinner out 4 or 5 days a week. Yesterday evening at La Fourchette---excellent as usual.

Breakfast and lunch I usually eat at home (housekeeper clears up after).