My New Suzuki.

masuk

Having been told by the Chiang Mai Suzuki agents that my new Suzuki Swift might be 5 months away, a friend gave me the name of a Suzuki dealer about 400km to the south. So I made enquiries and was assured that delivery would be less than 2 months. He was dead right! 5 weeks to the day and the phone call came - 'come and get it'!

So buddy and I headed south, and collected the car: the agent was a bit cursory with letting us know where things were and how to operate them. We only set off the alarm once back at the hotel. The extensive manual (I think) is all in Thai, so the hunt starts to try and get one I can read. Any ideas anyone??

We took it in turns to drive, and when I sat in the driver's seat for the first stime, I couldn't help but notice that right in front of the field of vison, is printed the name of the tint manufacturer. What forethought, what vision! Any more ideas on how to remove??

My bit of excitement for the day was trundling up the highway, and we could see a police barricade across the lanes. The B.I.B. must have super telescopic sight, as from 200 metres away, he started flagging us down. I thought it was the usual check for drugs, but he was rattling away to my buddy, and then I was asked to dig out 100baht. This was handed over to the B.I.B. who was all smiles and I was told that the red plates which the dealer had supplied were fake!

We were also warned that if we're stopped again, the fine was likely to be nearer to 1000baht. What-the-heck!

So the agent was called and he was laughing away; he knew the plates were false, but he assured us that if we take the plates off and drive without them for the next 45 days, it's not a problem. Wow!

So apart from admiring the Superman-like ability to spot false plates from 200metres away, I am somewhat puzzled. I checked out a good few other cars with red plates, and I can't see the difference.

A couple of differences immediately obvious to the Thai Swift and the exported ones is that this model has 1 air bag; the Australian version has 7! There is also no heating. Not really a problem in Chiang Mai for 10 months of the year, but handy to keep the windscreen clear at this time of the year.

Ah well, now to try and work out how to set the clock correctly, as my Thai buddy can't work it out either! coffee1.gif

What you describe is all highly typical.

As for options (airbags, etc.) it's the same for all models between the SE Asia market and Western Markets. I was in a US Honda Jazz (called Fit there) and the thing was stuffed full of airbags, too. (incl. on the sides)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I found my English manual on the internet,different car thou...

If the window film is 3M,it is easy to remove the logo,just stop at any place where they do it and ask...or try hydro-peroxide(heard they use it,but never tied myself)...

I didn't have any plates for over 3 months and never been stopped...

I had a manual sent to me from the U.K. where the car is almost identical apart from a light in the boot. That cost me 32 Pounds Sterling and is from the Hungarian factory.

At the same time I requested one from Suzuki Thailand and that arrived shortly after.

If the window film is 3M,it is easy to remove the logo,just stop at any place where they do it and ask...or try hydro-peroxide(heard they use it,but never tied myself)...

A bit of nail polish remover on a cotton ball does the trick quite nicely.

-Mestizo

-Mestizo

thanks for that info. in other words, ACETONE, but as you suggest, it's going to be easier to get the nail, polish remover!!

-Mestizo

thanks for that info. in other words, ACETONE, but as you suggest, it's going to be easier to get the nail, polish remover!!

That is pretty strong stuff...better test on some 'invisible' area first...

-Mestizo

That is pretty strong stuff...better test on some 'invisible' area first...

yes indeed. I'll choose a corner. Never heard of windscreens being tinted and hope the film stands up to windscreen wipers over time.

-Mestizo

Definitely. Mestizo does his nails in different colors and patters every day of the week, so he goes through quite a bit of the stuff.

How much was the new Swift?

559,000 Baht for the top model in White Pearl Metallic.

Ordered that very same model and colour 3 months ago and was told to wait 8 months, but it has just arrived and pick it up in a couple of days!! Looking forward to it as it is ideal for my needs and has had great write-ups.

I'd posted this on another topic a while back:

I ordered mine (White Pearl GLX) on 29th march this year and was told 4 months delivery. I took delivery on 21st July.

I love it. I have had all manner of cars before and my last was an Audi A4 2.4 V6. Getting into the Suzuki was not such a big difference believe me.

I get on average - mostly driving in town traffic - 17.1 kilometres per litre on Shell Fuelsave Gasohol 91.

The top speed is 165 km/h which I reached easily.

I've driven 4,000 kilometres so far and there are no rattles or squeaks, no problems whatsoever. The first service at 1,000 kilometres cost if I remember correctly 1,200 Baht.

It's a great car. I could have had it sooner if I'd ordered black and the Swift in black looks fantastic but a black car in Thailand isn't for me.

• Like 1

I had ordered a Nissan from the shop near the airport and waited and waited. 18 months and got tired so called a Bangkok shop who could get any car I wanted in 24 hours from the factory. I did, Just ordered my third nissan from BKK

Some shops need to learn about customer service

I had ordered a Nissan from the shop near the airport and waited and waited. 18 months and got tired so called a Bangkok shop who could get any car I wanted in 24 hours from the factory. I did, Just ordered my third nissan from BKK

Some shops need to learn about customer service

Yup. the highly acclaimed Japanese quality control does not appear to have extended as far as the showrooms. The product is first-rate, albeit minus safety features of export models, but a customer should not have to hunt around for ways to clear print off the tinted windscreen, or even remove heaps of plastic seat coverings clearly marked ' must be removed by dealer before delivery" Ha!

I have had to remove the floor mat, as it is way to large for the space.

Accessories: anyone know if Suzuki have an accessories shop in Thailand? At this time of the year, the sun is so low that it reflects off the dashboard. The Aussie Suzuki folk sell dash covers but can't find it in the accessories here.

I had a manual sent to me from the U.K. where the car is almost identical apart from a light in the boot. That cost me 32 Pounds Sterling and is from the Hungarian factory.

At the same time I requested one from Suzuki Thailand and that arrived shortly after.

When I bought my Isuzu pickup it only had a Thai written manual. So I asked the dealer to provided me with an English version, it took a couple months to get, after chasing them up a couple times. No extra cost. Yet a few years ago when I bought a Mazda it came with both English and Thai manuals!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

When I bought my Isuzu pickup it only had a Thai written manual. So I asked the dealer to provided me with an English version, it took a couple months to get, after chasing them up a couple times. No extra cost. Yet a few years ago when I bought a Mazda it came with both English and Thai manuals!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thirty-two quid for a manual! Seems a lot. But thanks for the info anyway: Had an offer for the same manual from another member. Yes, it seems that some companies had realised that not all their customers are Thai readers.

I've already fitted a couple of hooks and cord for the luggage cover, so that it raises when the boot lid comes up. Just like my old KIA.