Canadian Passport Changes - July 2013

According to CTV news (Canada), the Canadian passport renewal fees will go up significantly next July, 2013.

http://www.ctvnews.c...tions-1.1087136

Specifically, for all Canadian expats living in Thailand, it means that renewing your passport in Bangkok will cost $190 CDN for a 5 year book. A new 10 year book will be introduced at $260 CDN.

Passport renewal done in Canada will cost $120 CDN for the 5 year book and $160 CDN for the 10 year book.

So, if your passport expires soon, get it done before July 2013 and save some money.

BTW, I love the response that was given by Passport Canada agency when asked if the fees may hamper low-income people and senior citizen and what alternate solutions can be had...

"Canadians unsatisfied with the passport fee increase may also choose an alternative travel document, such as a NEXUS card," the agency said. "Or (they may) decide not to travel."

Thank's for highlighting this major increase in fees; the federal government is always eager to pocket more moeny, a tax disguised as a fee. For us living abroad, the option to renew a passport or not is simply non existing. The good news is the 10 year validity, something that will diminish the hassle of renewing every 5 years, always consuming more time getting the right pictures, having someone signing for confirming your identity, etc...

having someone signing for confirming your identity, etc...

Last time I renewed mine, sent them the old and they issued the new. Had a choice of receiving the old back with a hole punched thru it to make it invalid.

No confirmation letters required.

For those on tourist visas who do a lot of border runs, I wonder if the new 10-year passport option is a wise option. A border official may look at all your stamps on your 10-year passport and say "you've travelled enough...no more visas for you." Whereas with a 5-year passport, the counter is reset to zero every five years.

For those on tourist visas who do a lot of border runs, I wonder if the new 10-year passport option is a wise option. A border official may look at all your stamps on your 10-year passport and say "you've travelled enough...no more visas for you." Whereas with a 5-year passport, the counter is reset to zero every five years.

It is a catch 22 situation. The new ePassport is supposed to have 10 additional visa pages. From 24 to 36 pages total. More then enough space to fill up but, as stated, too many visa stamps MAY raise some questions.

On another note - if Thailand was to use the "Smartgate" immigration kiosk, we would never have to deal with an immigration officer...

More info on the new Canadian ePassport;

http://www.ppt.gc.ca...x.aspx?lang=eng