Phuket Artificial Reef Project Continues Off Kata, Karon Bays

webfact

Phuket artificial reef project continues off Kata, Karon bays

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The ongoing project to develop artificial reefs off the west coast of Phuket continued today as the process of dropping 1,880 concrete frames to the sea floor began off Karon Beach.

Over the next several days, the concrete frames will be dropped in clusters over a total area of 24 square kilometers, stretching from the north end of Karon Bay to the southern end of Kata Bay, explained Manop Leelasuthanon, Chief Administrative Officer of the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OBorJor).

“This part of the project costs 9 million baht,” said Mr Manop, who is credited as one of the key drivers behind the project.

Sompong Dapetch, a deputy mayor at Karon Municipality, explained that today’s launch of the project at Kata and Karon follows two previous efforts: first at Nai Yang three years ago, and then at Bang Tao and Kamala Bays in February last year.

“After the first project, we studied the effect the artificial reefs had. We found that over time many sea animals and certain types of corals colonized the area,” Mr Sompong said.

“However, the projects at Nai Yang, Bang Tao and Kamala bays were not as effective, as many fishing boats destroyed the artificial reefs with their fishing nets.

“This time, to avoid the same thing from happening again, we called in all related people, including people from the local fishing industry, and explained the project to them,” he said.

OrBorJor President Paiboon Upatising, who presided over the official launch of the project this morning, praised the initiative for the potential multifaceted benefits it could bring.

“Through this project we can conserve the environment and can help marine ecosystems to recover, while attracting more tourists to Phuket and boosting the income generated by tourism for the local economy,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...bays-19762.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-12-21

I was happy to see that bardge pull up off Kata whan I was diving out there the day before yesterday. These same concrete box shaped artificial reefs have been on Raya for several years now, along with a newer medium size wreck, and they have some life growing on them and fish living on them, including some schools of game fish. I would call them a success there. There are 2 or 3 of these blocks that have been destroyed, collapsed presumably by fishing trawlers nets. What the fisherman don't seem to understand is that the success of these projects will benefit them by increasing fish stocks.

reef2.jpg

The Thai Navy has donated 2 battleships to Go Eco Phuket to sink as artificial reefs in the area. The King Cruiser which sank in 1997 is now the most densely populated wreck I have ever seen. It's covered in hard and soft corals, and has so many schools of fish around it that at times you can't even see the wreck through them. If the incredible density and diversity of life that can currently be found there is any indication, the sinking of the navy battleships would be wildly successful, and impervious to destruction by careless fishing trawlers. We just need 2m baht to prep and get them here.

Capture-7.jpg

That's quite amazing number. 1880 big cubes.

Where I can find the exact location of the all artificial reefs in Phuket? I'd love to go snorkel to some of these if it's possible.

Where I can find the exact location of the all artificial reefs in Phuket? I'd love to go snorkel to some of these if it's possible.

Many wrecks are documented and regularly dived. I don't know of any wrecks or these concrete cubes that are shallow enough to snorkle unless you are a good freediver. Even the ones at Raya Yai which are on a dive site are at the shallowest about 15m.

If the coordinates of the new reefs aren't made available, I doubt anyone will dive them. I would go find them in a long tail if I had the coordinates, or even a rough idea where they are, like if they were swimming distance off the beaches or Koh Poo. Wrecks are often found to have fish in and on them before the first diver dives them so it would be interesting to check out. Also to revisit them every so often to see the progress, and to check if they are all going to get destroyed by trawlers which is very possible.

• 1 month later...

I have been discovering several just off Kata Beach near the north end close to the buoy line which protects the reef.