Should We Discuss Restaurants/watering Holes?

ThaiPauly

Should we or should we not?

There has been so many problems over the last few months with regard to recomended /un-recomended reataurants/Pubs and everything seems to go tits -up.

The Duke's thread started out well and then degenerated.

Watch out, you don't want to find yourself in a lawsuit :D

maybee restaurant threads should not be allowed ? (and my Wife has one , although nobody has said anything bad about it-probably as nobody knows where it is) :o I am not gonna "Big It Up "here

What do you think?????

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like reading restaurant comments here. I often disagree with what's being said but I still enjoy observing the pingpong match.

I guess it's tempting, when you consider yourself an expert on something food-related not to present your argument as fact. Even an expert's opinion on taste is still just an opinion. It's up to the reader whether to invest that opinion with extra authority, whether to debate the point or just ignore it.

I think that there shouldn't be any restrictions about talking about places to eat. I just think people should remember that it's possible that standards cannot always be maintained.

That's not just something that is applicable to Thai staff. My parents have a bakery business in Scotland and as soon as they take time off (holidays, etc) the standard just drops. It's a sad fact that many people don't have the motivation to work on their own...

Lawsuit? In Thailand? Good luck? I should think that a loss of revenue from advertisers would be a worst case senario.

Do you think The Duke's thread cost them business? Twice in the last week at peak dinner hours I went by and didn't go in because the place was so busy.

I say let the stones fly.

It's definitely helpful, to hear about new places opening, changes at old & loved watering-holes, etc.

This will inevitably be subjective, that adds entertainment-value, and is understood & accepted by anybody reading these threads.

So I'd say - let them roll ! :o

I think the restaurant reviews are excellent. Chiang Mai has new places opening all the time, so how else are you going to find out, except by the opinion of others. In the case of the “Dukes” they’ve had some really good publicity. Forget about minor problems.

I can understand why some owners might object to a bad review, but if it’s justified, tough luck. It might help them to get their act together and improve their offerings.

We did have a problem a long while back when an ex moderator whose name can’t be wrITten here, was using this site to push places that were paying to advertise on his own personal website. Proper moderation should make sure this kind of thing doesn’t happen.

If you want to be formal then have a TV smilie rating like Michelen.

Some good restaurants in Chiang Mai have gone unnoticed and out of business before any buzz about them started to get around, and we need all the good ones that we can get.

TV can bring these undiscovered gems to the public's attention before it is too late.

I only hope that we members can forget our personal and political disagreements and feuds when it comes to discussing worthwhile businesses. :o

Some good restaurants in Chiang Mai have gone unnoticed and out of business before any buzz about them started to get around, and we need all the good ones that we can get.

TV can bring these undiscovered gems to the public's attention before it is too late.

I only hope that we members can forget our personal and political disagreements and feuds when it comes to discussing worthwhile businesses. :D

What feuds? :o

The most important thing is not to make it personal. just because somebody might disagree with somebody else about food is no reason to go overboard.How many of you guys think that raw sea urchin guts are yummy?Bugger all I bet,yet some of my family love them. :D

Reviews are great to have here. They are a great way to find out about places that normally, I would not have a clue about. :D

Very well, let's keep it civil then. Everyone send your nominations for best western, best thai, and best other restaurant to [email protected] and tomorrow I'll set up a poll and we'll see who get's the votes over the following week. :o

We'll do other types of businesses if it works.

cv

How about a ratings system rather than a poll? Can it be done?

Very well, let's keep it civil then. Everyone send your nominations for best western, best thai, and best other restaurant to [email protected] and tomorrow I'll set up a poll and we'll see who get's the votes over the following week. :o

We'll do other types of businesses if it works.

cv

How about a ratings system rather than a poll? Can it be done?

Not that I know of :D

cv

I agree with Ajarn.

Some people may have an agenda (me for instance).

Obviously we want as many customers as we can possibly get (who would'nt).

just think that it would be unfair as "One Man's meat is another Man's poison"

For example those that are in the business would obviusly ensure that thier restaurant was in the poll, I would say our food is some of the best Thai food available in the Chaing Mai area.

Somebody else who does not use Thai Visa who runs a small restaurant could be frozen out because not many people know about him but he scrapes a living. I magine if all their customers came flocking to our restaurant instead?

We would get rich and he would go out of business if our dishes were similar.

There are probably over 250 active members on the Chaing Mai forum who regularly dine out. That is an awful lot of spending power.

If anyone WANTS to advertise their restaurant on Thai Visa then they can do so if they want to lay out the dosh.

A Poll would be some seriously FREE advertising, and unfair IMHO

I hope you can see where I am coming from. I want to be as fair and impartial as possible, our place will stand or fall on its merts. it has been mentioned on the dining out pages, of this forum, I am happy about that of course, but ours is a THAI restaurant and most THAI restaurants are owned by those that do not use this forum.

Should we bring in a team of outside experts, cultural anthropologists and such to make sure it's truely 100% fair and accurate? Lets not take it too seriously. If you want a poll email me your recomendations. If you don't, then don't.

We don't mind giving good places a little free plug if it's informative for the readers.

cv

I agree with Ajarn.

Some people may have an agenda (me for instance).

Obviously we want as many customers as we can possibly get (who would'nt).

just think that it would be unfair as "One Man's meat is another Man's poison"

For example those that are in the business would obviusly ensure that thier restaurant was in the poll, I would say our food is some of the best Thai food available in the Chaing Mai area.

Somebody else who does not use Thai Visa who runs a small restaurant could be frozen out because not many people know about him but he scrapes a living. I magine if all their customers came flocking to our restaurant instead?

We would get rich and he would go out of business if our dishes were similar.

There are probably over 250 active members on the Chaing Mai forum who regularly dine out. That is an awful lot of spending power.

If anyone WANTS to advertise their restaurant on Thai Visa then they can do so if they want to lay out the dosh.

A Poll would be some seriously FREE advertising, and unfair IMHO

I hope you can see where I am coming from. I want to be as fair and impartial as possible, our place will stand or fall on its merts. it has been mentioned on the dining out pages, of this forum, I am happy about that of course, but ours is a THAI restaurant and most THAI restaurants are owned by those that do not use this forum.

So because you own a restaurant you don't want this forum to discuss restaurants.

I don't see the problem. The purpose of this forum is to pass around tips about living in Chiang Mai. Eating is part of living. This isn't a competition. If you feel someone needs mention then do so.

Should we bring in a team of outside experts, cultural anthropologists and such to make sure it's truely 100% fair and accurate? Lets not take it too seriously. If you want a poll email me your recomendations. If you don't, then don't.

We don't mind giving good places a little free plug if it's informative for the readers.

cv

I am a cultural anthropologist. Although my specialties are Sub Saharan Africa and the Kaska Indians of North America I would be more than happy to dine out for free anywhere. I could compare Chiang Mai food to African cuisine and whale blubber.

I like reading restaurant comments here. I often disagree with what's being said but I still enjoy observing the pingpong match.

I guess it's tempting, when you consider yourself an expert on something food-related not to present your argument as fact. Even an expert's opinion on taste is still just an opinion. It's up to the reader whether to invest that opinion with extra authority, whether to debate the point or just ignore it.

Reviews need to include everyone and take the local enviroment in mind.

Word of mouth being the best recommendation.

How many T.V. members actually used the ones that are reviewed in the local Pattaya rag. as one example of reviews.

Most are just promotional stuff for the chosen few according to most people i discuss them with.

And please, this is not a class related opinion as most people want a basic, clean, friendly atmosphere where they are relaxed and can enjoy.

I could never get my head round all the fancy names for one, this does not guarantee satisfaction and in any case how many actually know what they are getting. :D:o

Especially ignoramious people like me, " chish and fips " now there,s a good tasty meal...........

especially with mushy peas. slurp, yummy, yummy.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I read of a new word in the BK Post Magazine the other day.

Blurb Whore:

Someone who writes favourable comments in exchange for free food or travel:

That could be you then Kerry!

Ya, that's me. Right now I am working on the Spotlight and Star Six. Stay tuned.

I don't own a restaurant, but I think that it's ok for people to promote their place - within reason. CM has no real infrastructure for you to tell people about your place. There are free mags - but I can never get the best one (Citylife). And would ANYONE believe the restaurant 'critic' in the Chiang Mai Mail?

Remember that you can promote your place all you want, but if your stuff is rubbish there will be a lot of people on here that can counter your arguements - and most of them will!

It's not like you can look up Italian restaurants in the yellow pages. This is pretty much the only place I can type in Italian Food and hear first hand stories about places. The other place is Chanchao's fantastic website - which would be an even better resource if people would add their own reviews.

If it was made against the rules to discuss restaurants then it would take away one of the best things about the Chiang Mai forum. Please don't do it :o

Edited by Grant

I read of a new word in the BK Post Magazine the other day.

Blurb Whore:

Someone who writes favourable comments in exchange for free food or travel:

That could be you then Kerry!

Ya, that's me. Right now I am working on the Spotlight and Star Six. Stay tuned.

Free samples at Spotlight could be interesting :o

cv

cv

I am a cultural anthropologist. Although my specialties are Sub Saharan Africa and the Kaska Indians of North America I would be more than happy to dine out for free anywhere. I could compare Chiang Mai food to African cuisine and whale blubber.

\

Perfect. :o