National Rifle Association Calls For Armed Guards In U S Schools

webfact

I had a condo in DC in 2002-04 and spent a lot of time up there in the late 80s and early 90s after graduating from George Washington University.

What I was trying to allude to in a very politically correct way was that the vast majority of DC violence is and always has been black on black, drug and gang related disputes primarily occurring in certain neighborhoods or areas. Neither the shooter nor the perp would likely ever pass a background check.

I doubt either one of us fit the typical DC gun crime victim profile or would even in be in the neighborhhods where violence was/is prevalant. So . . . the point being is you, I and similarly situated people can buy all the guns we want and it is not going to have any impact on gun crime or homocide rate unless we turn to crack and start going into high risk neighborhoods to buy and sell crack to support our habbits.

The question that you seem to duck is simply whether you oppose all states having the exact same guns laws now in effect in DC?

My answer goes all the way back to page 1 and it's this. You can have all the gun control you want but it still won't stop the criminals from getting illegal weapons from the 300 million guns still out there. DC's high crime rate (even though it has dropped after the gun ban was lifted) just goes to show gun control doesn't really work. The numerous black on black gang killings just goes to show no matter how tough a gun law you put in place, the criminals will still be able to get illegal guns easily anyway. And while the law abiding citizens may not be the majority killed because of gang and drug violence, they are still in danger of getting robbed, mugged, raped, house invaded, you name it! And thus a law abiding citizen should have every right to purchase a legal weapon easily.

So you are against states having laws like DC even though the homicide rate has gone from 500 to 77.

Where do you live? Montanna? You are really out of touch with reality of urban crime and gang issues.

You can be packing your pistol all you want and in a city like Memphis you will still get capped for going into the wring neighborhood. Those guys have feared getting shot since they were 10 or 12 and have have metal detectors in school since grade school. After a while, the fear turns to apathy or rage and you having a gun is no deference. They live in a war zone and we live in lillywhiteputin. Us with something lose will hesitate that spli second and just got shot for having a gun.

I worked on a case once representing property owner that had a rap club in a strip mall. The club had metal detectors and like 20 bouncers that night. There were 8 squad cars in parking lot. A guy who had gotten busted and lost of load of coke was walking toward club in parking lot. The perp walked up, held gun to his head, emptied clip, placed gun on his chest, turned around and just walked away. Thus was with 8 cop cars close by and they never caught dude.

Point being, these guys are not scared of anything and if they want you dead, there is nothing you can do about it. I have seen cases where guy was shot over a chicken wing. Most if the dead guys have guns and are not afraid to use them.

You seem to be ignoring the 300 million guns already out there. What's the point of having draconian gun laws when a criminal, who isn't going to be able to buy a gun legally anyway, can easily buy one illegally? These tough gun laws only prevent law abiding citizens from getting a legal weapon easily. Now you say it's because of the gun laws that DC's murder rate has dropped. I say it's because the gun ban was lifted and citizens are once again able to defend themselves.

Your example of the crazies and the animals out there who aren't afraid of the cops and who would blatantly shoot someone in front of them is the perfect example of why citizens should be able to have guns and defend themselves. I mean if you can't rely on the police to protect you from getting shot then you just have to defend yourself. Tough gun control laws don't stop criminals from getting guns. If they're not afraid of killing someone, you think they care whether they're put in jail for having an illegal firearm? On the opposite side, it just makes it more difficult for a law abiding citizen from getting a weapon legally. And he's definitely not going to buy an illegal weapon for fear of getting arrested.

You keep saying law abiding citizens, but you say your against background checks for purchases from private sellers, no guns sold to felons and mandatory registration of all guns including those sold by private individuals. Be congruent.

Not sure how one can say they only want law abiding citizens to have guns, but oppose those measures I listed unless they are a felon or whack alcoholic that abuses his wife. NRA members in favor of these by 74%.

Right now, you and I can buy AR-15s and then sell it to a felon gang banger without a background check for a profit. Mandatory registration and background checks on private sales would stop that if I could get jail time for selling to felon. It would take time, but it would eventually work.

Edited by F430murci

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since when did I ever say I was against background checks? Since when have I said I was against criminals and crazy people not being able to buy guns legally? The problem is even if you do stop these people from buying guns legally, they will just buy them illegally. Tightening up on private sales may work but once again, these criminals can always get one illegally. Gun control doesnt work if you can't control the illegal sale of the 300 million guns already in circulation. Making it harder to buy guns legally only penalises the law abiding citizens who need one.

Since when did I ever say I was against background checks? Since when have I said I was against criminals and crazy people not being able to buy guns legally? The problem is even if you do stop these people from buying guns legally, they will just buy them illegally. Tightening up on private sales may work but once again, these criminals can always get one illegally. Gun control doesnt work if you can't control the illegal sale of the 300 million guns already in circulation. Making it harder to buy guns legally only penalises the law abiding citizens who need one.

Your evasive, won't answer unambiguous questions or clearly state your position on very straight forward issues so you are just a time waster playing games with zero credibility. Haha, you certainly sucked me in, but no more.

You keep saying law abiding citizens, but you say your against background checks for purchases from private sellers, no guns sold to felons and mandatory registration of all guns including those sold by private individuals. Be congruent.

Right now, you and I can buy AR-15s and then sell it to a felon gang banger without a background check for a profit. Mandatory registration and background checks on private sales would stop that if I could get jail time for selling to felon. It would take time, but it would eventually work.

If there is a problem with private sales, that is a state issue. I give you a case and point example. Under California law, ALL handguns (even used) can only be transferred through a licensed dealer that runs a background check. California does not have any requirements of private sales of used long guns go through a dealer with a background check. Other states, such as Nevada, do not require the sale of any used firearm (handgun or long gun) to go through a dealer with a background check. The issue is one belonging to the states. You should be aware of U.S. v. Lopez (1995 U.S. Sup. Ct.) 514 U.S. 549 that the Federal government does not have general police powers and their sole source of authority is that which is expressly granted by the Constitution (i.e. commerce clause). If California wanted to require background checks on private sales of riles, it has the ability to. The legislature chose not to. Similarly any state can pass more stringent requirements for privates sales of used firearms.

If you're complaining about mandatory background checks and private sales of firearms, then complain to your state legislature. It's up to the States to regulate sales of firearms in their own jurisdiction. It's not really a Federal issue because the Federal government is already pushing it's authority under the commerce clause.

Your evasive, won't answer unambiguous questions or clearly state your position on very straight forward issues so you are just a time waster playing games with zero credibility. Haha, you certainly sucked me in, but no more.

What's so evasive about my answers? And there's nothing straight forward about this issue. You can call me whatever names you want but you're the one obviously making up statistics you've 'heard or read somewhere' and also purposely misinterpreting the statistics you actuakly do post. Zero credibility? That would be someone who pulls numbers out the air and lies about it.

If there is a problem with private sales, that is a state issue. I give you a case and point example. Under California law, ALL handguns (even used) can only be transferred through a licensed dealer that runs a background check. California does not have any requirements of private sales of used long guns go through a dealer with a background check. Other states, such as Nevada, do not require the sale of any used firearm (handgun or long gun) to go through a dealer with a background check. The issue is one belonging to the states. You should be aware of U.S. v. Lopez (1995 U.S. Sup. Ct.) 514 U.S. 549 that the Federal government does not have general police powers and their sole source of authority is that which is expressly granted by the Constitution (i.e. commerce clause). If California wanted to require background checks on private sales of riles, it has the ability to. The legislature chose not to. Similarly any state can pass more stringent requirements for privates sales of used firearms.

If you're complaining about mandatory background checks and private sales of firearms, then complain to your state legislature. It's up to the States to regulate sales of firearms in their own jurisdiction. It's not really a Federal issue because the Federal government is already pushing it's authority under the commerce clause.

I get that, but being a lawyer I understand that Federal prosecution and enforcement is much more effective than local which could be subject to selective enforcement.

Federal regulates class III weapons very well. All assault weapons and high capacity clips need to be banned and transferred under class III for federal regulation. I would be cool with state registration for revolvers, shotguns and bolt action hunting rifles if I believed all states would pass uniform laws and actually enforce them. If not, then a felon can still hop down to a Texas gun show and buy ARs, AKs, and etc. from a private seller fronting for a dealer and take it anywhere he wants.

The only way to stop and start getting things on right track is uniform registration laws and enforcement. Unfortunately, absent federal action, states like Texas, Montana, Kentucky, Miss., Tennessee and etc. will never pass legislation thereby undermining those stares actually trying to do something about the problem.

• Like 1

It's called "democracy". The voters of these states will not put up with more legislation banning their guns. These are states which are BIG into hunting. As illustrated, there is little difference between a hunting rifle and an "evil assault rifle".

Thanks for the informative post with photos. You last paragraph, above, could prove wrong. Voters may choose more restrictive laws. Admittedly, guns can be modified to fit with (slip in thru the side door) re; regulations. Similarly with hard drugs, there is a cottage industry of so-called 'designer drugs' being shipped in to the US, mostly from India, which are packaged as 'bath salts'. The ingredients change often. There is a section of FDA earmarked specifically to try and decipher the latest drug mix, in order to make specs to ban it.

If states which are now liberal toward gun-ownership (upper mid-west states, etc) have referendums and a majority votes to make their gun laws more like Wash.DC's, then it will be interesting to see the repercussions: Probably increasing modifications and deceptions for guns, plus outright hoarding of guns clandestinely. There is no quick fix. It would be as easy to steer fixated Americans away from gun possession as it would to steer Chinese men away from their hard-on potions made from endangered animal parts. It's a deep-set fixation. My personal compass says, 'if it doesn't cause harm, let it be.' Yet, even tho the majority of American gun owners aren't harming anybody/thing, there wll always be nutzoids out there who will go out of their way to harm people and animals (yes, I'm against sport hunting).

People who know firearms know that a shooter can be just as dangerous with a hunting rifle as they can be with an "evil assault rifle".

.....and they will know that a 4 year old playing with a loaded gun can be just as deadly as Rambo. How many shootings by kids are reported annually? Not just kids on kids, but there's at least one story of a little boy shooting his father dead (pistol left in pick up truck seat, while out driving together).

Submaniac:

Haha, cool your jets. I never read past about sentence 2 or 3 of any post.

Reread Scalia's opinion in Heller. You are seriously misinterpreting what he said in that opinion . . . Haha, this is a prime example why lay people should never attempt to practice law by representing themselves.

Submaniac:

Reread Scalia's opinion in Heller. You are seriously misinterpreting what he said in that opinion . . . Haha, this is a prime example why lay people should never attempt to practice law by representing themselves.

You're not the only one on this forum with a law degree and a license to practice...and I actually went to better law schools than you did.

• Like 2

...."I can make a list, if you'd like."

Don't bother.

Top of the list (of how gun-owners differ from non-gun-owners).

1. They can't take criticism without getting angry or vindictive.

Haha, maybe he's got that warrior gene . . . Pretty prevalent in gun owners and mass murderers . . .

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090121093343.htm

Edited by F430murci

a clarification about the two senseless gun murders mentioned in an earlier post of mine (the girl at a party and the guy in the elevator) - in Washington DC. They took place in late 1960's which was probably prior to anti-gun legislation getting enacted. ....Back in the Mayor Marion Berry days (boy, he's got a pimpled reputation, but that's another story).

Don't bother.

I wasn't angry.

I was just trying to save you the trouble of looking up over 12,000 murders in the US and posting each of them on the forum.

I get that, but being a lawyer I understand that Federal prosecution and enforcement is much more effective than local which could be subject to selective enforcement.

You claim to be a lawyer and make THIS statement?

On selective enforcement, think New Black Panther Party and Fast and Furious.

• Like 1

Don't bother.

Haha, maybe he's got that warrior gene . . . Pretty prevalent in gun owners and mass murderers . . .

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090121093343.htm

Once again, you put up a useless link to insult and misdirect, rather then trying to argue your point across. I especially like how you avoid the valid points made by submaniac by claiming you never read more then 2 to sentences! Haha well done!

Given that a nutter with a gun managed to kill 13 and injure 29 on a US military not so long ago which I assume had one or two armed guards about I am not sure how effective this solution would be. Any self respecting nutter would obviously target an armed guard first you would think.

That "nutter" was in the military himself, a psychologist and a Muslim who had

contacts with that Al Zawlaki (sp??) in Yemen who managed to convince the guy

to carry out the shootings. How the comvincing was accomplished I haven't a clue.

The man who carried out the shootings wasn't some low life Private...he was

a Major. Read up instead of calling names on subjects you obviously know

little about.

Given that a nutter with a gun managed to kill 13 and injure 29 on a US military not so long ago which I assume had one or two armed guards about I am not sure how effective this solution would be. Any self respecting nutter would obviously target an armed guard first you would think.

to carry out the shootings. How the comvincing was accomplished I haven't a clue.

little about.

Whatever his motivation, be it religion, saving the world or protecting some out of date document I would still say he was mentally unstable in some way.

• A 35-year-old man was shot to death in
    Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania in September when he took a break from a game
    of dominoes on a second-floor balcony around 11 p.m. and urinated
    over the rail. Unfortunately, an unidentified man was walking
    below. He yelled, "Yo! Yo!" and fired several gunshots, killing the
    urinator. [National Post, 11-20-2012] [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,
    9-19-2012]

from News of the Weird

If I didn't have a gun...but only a baseball bat...I would have beaten the pisser to death so there.

• Like 2

little about.

Whatever his motivation, be it religion, saving the world or protecting some out of date document I would still say he was mentally unstable in some way.

I agree....YES he was mentally unstable to say the least...it's that type of people with "guns"

that give us RESPONSIBLE firearm owners a very bad name...end of statement.

Edited by sunshine51

Submanic - that's a highly informative post, I don't know about guns so had no idea there's so little difference between a hunting and assault rifle until I read your post. Your post is great, it explains a lot of questions I had about why bans don't work; it seems really odd to me that a mini-14 can accept AR-15 clips and that NDS-4 - how do manufactures get away with renaming like that? parts on that gun like the stock or receiver don't just resemble AK parts, they are the same aren't they?

Sounds like a reasonable idea to me. There's 300 million guns in circulation in the United States. There are 150 million of us gun owners in the United States. "Ridding" the U.S. of guns is simply not going to happen. There's too many of us.

Some of us happen to support the U.S. 2nd Amendment.

I love how people who are not from the United States, don't live in the United States, and have no connection with the United States like to spout their opinions of what United States laws should be. If you do not like the laws of the United States then don't come to the United States.

Do you think all those kids had a choice about your 2nd Amendment, I think not and by the way I am connected to the US by a border It's called Canada.....

Submaniac:

You're not the only one on this forum with a law degree and a license to practice...and I actually went to better law schools than you did.

Thanks for the post showing the weapons, it made some points that I wanted to put out there. Of course it will be over the head of many that refuse to look at things logically.