Govt Having Second Thoughts On Charter Referendum

Lite Beer

PT had 47%

That's old and irrelevant and, it's about 100th time you've posted that, so it's trolling as well.

So it has come to this.The usual suspects now say stating the simple truth is "trolling".No wonder so many of the better educated members have simply given up on the forum.

Parties Constituency Proportional TOTAL Votes % Seats Votes % Seats Seats % Pheu Thai 204 15,744,190 48.41 61 265 53.0% Democrat 115 11,433,762 35.15 44 159 31.8% Bhumjaithai 29 1,281,577 3.94 5 34 6.8% Chartthaipattana 15 906,656 2.79 4 19 3.8% Chart Pattana Puea Pandin 5 494,894 1.52 2 7 1.4% Phalang Chon 6 178,110 0.55 1 7 1.4% Rak Thailand 0 998,603 3.07 4 4 0.8% Matubhum 1 251,702 0.77 1 2 0.4% Rak Santi 0 284,132 0.87 1 1 0.2% Mahachon 0 133,772 0.41 1 1 0.2% New Democracy 0 125,784 0.39 1 1 0.2% Other Parties 0 692,322 2.13 0 0 0.0% Valid Votes 375 32,525,504 125 500 100% None of the Above 1,419,088 4.03% 958,052 2.72% Invalid Votes 2,039,694 5.79% 1,726,051 4.90% Total Turnouts Abstention Total Electors Source: Election of Members of House of Representatives B.E.2554

The interesting part here is the difference between quoting 48.41% of valid votes cast versus 44.38% of votes cast. Both numbers are correct. With one group promoting the 'no' vote it seems more correct though to quote the 44.38% rather than the 48.41%.

BTW "No wonder so many of the better educated members have simply given up on the forum."? I have no such pretentions, but I did notice you're still around whistling.gif

The numbers are very clear as are the rules of elections.You are correct they may be interpreted different ways, and as always the losers tend to look for ways to minimise their defeat's implications.I fail however to see how pointing out the facts can be construed as being unhelpful.A good example of creative interpretation after a defeat can be seen in the US - the right wing media - after Romney's recent mauling.Needless to say there are the equivalents in Thailand including many of the usual suspects on this forum.What is frustrating is that there is actually a decent subject for discussion in the need for checks and balances in a democracy, and the need for the rights of the minority to be respected.However when this matter comes up for discussion it is always undertaken in such crude and childish terms that serious points tend to be submerged.

As to the less frequent involvement of educated and perceptive members in political debate on the forum I think that is really beyond denial.It's not a question of forcible absence as one usual suspect comically suggested because it affects all viewpoints.They wouldn't thank me for mentioning them (so I won't) but I can think of at least two very well informed critics of the redshirt movement on the forum who take the same view as I do.It doesn't mean complete absence but just less frequent.

As to the less frequent involvement of educated and perceptive members in political debate on the forum I think that is really beyond denial.It's not a question of forcible absence as one usual suspect comically suggested because it affects all viewpoints.They wouldn't thank me for mentioning them (so I won't) but I can think of at least two very well informed critics of the redshirt movement on the forum who take the same view as I do.It doesn't mean complete absence but just less frequent.

Not sure what is comical about the idea of people, be they educated and informed, or be they not, being shown the door from this forum.

Just take yourself.... for all your articulate, reasoned and intelligent responses (all be those response often quite contrary to my own opinion), invariably the temptation to bring the debate down to the gutter level of personal insults, snide remarks, references to bar stools, insinuations about low intellect levels, about diminished social class, the pigeon holing, the name calling, the "usual suspects" labelling, the patronising, proves too great a temptation. Your posts, in my opinion, are much less for it, and demonstrate how even the "educated and perceptive contributors" - a group i assume you consider yourself a part - can be just as guilty of the childish games that at times besmirch political threads here, that brings the level of debate down, and that as a result, puts some people off from bothering... perhaps including those two members you mention.

At the end of the day though, you won't, in my opinion, find a political forum on Thai political affairs run better than this one. Yes, one has to put up with the occasional bit of flaming and trolling, but stamping that activity out completely is almost impossible to do without in some way starting to infringe on free speech. There has to be a bit of give and take. If people don't understand that, don't appreciate how forums like this need to include both the "light and the shade", i think they are indeed better off staying away, even though they may be a loss.

Anyway, Merry Christmas jayboy, and to all political thread contributors, of all political persuasions. It's been a fun year. And thanks to the mods for all the tireless unpaid work they do keeping things relatively sane (I hope they allow me the indulgence of this somewhat off topic ramble).wai.gif