Newbie Visa Question

Hi newbie here,

Me and my girlfriend are travelling and at the moment are on the east coast of australia. We fly to bangkok on the 19th March. We are both 25 and english. We didnt realise the thai visa rules and thus thats why im putting up this thread. We are going to be staying in Thailand for 62 days so what (in your experiences) be our best option?

Is there any chance we can can gain a 60 day visa in australia even though we a english? and then pay the 2 days over on our departure?

any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Ed

Hi, try to get a Tourist Visa , which is valid for 60 days at a Thai Consulate/Embassy.

Or plan yr stay that you are near a border on 29th day n make a 1-2 Tour to Malay,Cambo,Mynmar or Laos , so you do not need a Tourist Visa,but will get a 30 days stamp on each entry to Thailand.

Need further info you can PM me.

Once here you can still decide on how to proceed with yr itineray.

No one will recommand to go Overstay, even for two days.

Basicly no problem to pay the two days=400.-THB , but ...

Simply apply to the nearest Thai Consulate/Embassy to where you are staying for a single entry tourist visa each ...............you/ll get them no problems.

This visa will give you an initial 60 day stay upon landing.

Anytime within the last week or so of the 60 day stay you can go to local Immigration wherever you are staying and obtain a 30 day extension to this 60 day stay.........seems a bit of a waste when you are only over by 2 days but there you go.

Cost of the 30 day extension is 1900 baht and you will need copies of the relevant pages in your passports and a passport photo.

Whatever you do , dont risk overstaying by 2 days and paying the 400 baht at the airport.............it aint worth the risk.

Maybe next time make your stay 60 days and not 62 eh!

Have a nice trip.

:o

Hi newbie, Please listen to the other posts and DO NOT OVERSTAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, while a few hundred Baht fine may not seem much, it is also within Thai law (as I understand it), to imprison you for this, it's unlikely to happen in reality, but why take the chance? Especially as it sounds like you are both on some kind of world tour ( lucky devils !). have a great time in the LOS ( Land Of Smile), and have a great time. :o

Edited by wallaceinthailand

Thank you all for your prompt replys.

We will be making our way back down the coast toward Melbourne and there is a thai consulate there. By the sound of it we may as well pay for the 1900 for the extra 30 days. I dont want to get on the wong side of thai law (as it is my first visit!)

Cheers again!! :o

Ed

Brisbane and Sydney have Thai consulates and you should visit in person and you will most probably get same day sevice,and you will have to show your airline tickets.

This is interesting! I have a passport full of Thai visas (need to go to embassy for new pages!) and have yet to be asked to show an airline ticket!

I'd wager 99% of this forum would concur. :o:D

Re. Overstays: Definitely not a good idea to do it intentionally.

The recent hysteria about the visa runners out of Phuket was more due to some inexperienced police following the letter of the law. Word on the street in Phuket was the police were looking for meth rather than over-stayers. Overstays aren't usually so severe. In BKK typically a 2 day grace is allowed. I ran into that grace period once due to a flight schedule change. Immigration didn't even raise an eyebrow at my one day overstay.

I misread the dates on a 60 day tourist visa once and discovered to my shock while getting the extension in Patong that I was in a state of 20 days overstay. They didn't get exited. I paid the fine and the extension fee and got a 30 stamp. :D:o

That said regarding what can happen it's good advice not to get any overstay.

Brisbane and Sydney have Thai consulates and you should visit in person and you will most probably get same day sevice,and you will have to show your airline tickets.

This is interesting! I have a passport full of Thai visas (need to go to embassy for new pages!) and have yet to be asked to show an airline ticket!

I'd wager 99% of this forum would concur. :o:D

From the Thai Consulate Sydney.

Tourist Visa

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa will be issued to applicants wishing to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- One recent photograph of the applicant (passport-sized photograph or 2 1/2 inches)

- A photocopy of plane ticket paid in full or itinerary plus receipt3. VISA FEE

AUD$ 45 per entry (as of 26 August 2003)

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months.

5. VALIDITY OF A STAY

Upon arrival, visitors with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days.

6. EXTENSION OF STAY

Extension of stay for an additional 30 days can be requested from the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120 , Tel (662) 287-3101-10. The extension of stay as well as the change of certain types of visa is at the discretion of the Immigration officer.