Boxing Day Dualsport Scooter Ride 26Th

highonthai

'll be out again on wensday for a all day ride from Mae Hia to Samoeng out to Khun Kan national park over to Huai Mana and back down to mae wang and back to the start near Mae Hia. A long ride and many dirt sections, If that sounds like your thing, and you ride a wave/dream type bike your welcome to join.

Leaves from the royal flora/ night safari turning circle at 10:am sharp. This is a long ride with some offroad sections. Please show up with a full tank.

PM me if you have any questions, other than "can I ride my big bike?"

I dunno about the term "dual sport scooter"- brings to mind a Yamaha Mio Amore with Hello Kitty paint scheme, and full knobby tires. tongue.png

Probably better to say "Dream and Wave type scooters, 100-125cc".

I would love to attend on my Wave 100, but as my rear tube has about 2 patches from rainy season small nails...don't want to be stranded half way to Khun Yuam when one of the patches delaminates after a rough washboard dirt section....biggrin.png

Can I take my big bike ?

Joking . . .

The caves in samoeng are well worth a stop and a few minutes to explore. No charge and restrooms if any rider needs.

I may need to work and won't know until the day so we will see . . .

At any rate, "Happy trails" and my wave 125 is full and ready if needed

I think I might be into it... The other ride you planned to Mon Jam I do all the time on the mountain bike. It's realistic and challenging ride without using transport from CM...

This one is well outside my normal ride range and would be great recon for future training rides as well as seeing new things.

I am inclined to join on my well maintained Wave 100. I have some patches for flat repair but not a spare tube or levers. Anything I should bring for reliable travel?

Cobra,

Don't worry about spares. got you covered. Just don't wear flip flops and you will be ok...

Just remember It's an all day ride. But, forsakeing any bike problems we will be back to the start long before dark. (beer time)

wjmark,

It was nice to meet you too.

It would of been nice for you to go on this ride, but you understand today's ride was an all day ride

and as you had a previous engagement, I knew that you could not make it back to the city in time for your appointment. I hope you can schedule your time for the next ride.

The ride was about 153 km's, we started at 10 am and where back to the start around 4:15 pm

See ya soon.

Highonthai

Edited by highonthai

So what was the hardest part of the ride? Any really bad tracks?

I know this road well as we have a cousin in Mae Sapok who we visit regularly and that is the road I often use from my house to her house. The roughest part is not the unpaved sections but the potholed sections west of Samoeng just past Mae Saap, and the potholed section going down towards Mae Win below the Mong village at the high point. The dirt section begins after Bo Kaeo and is pretty smooth until past the mining operations when you hit the first smaller Mong villages where their pickup trucks have chewed up the road a bit. But as HIghonthai notes, the only slightly gnarly dirt section is a small downhill section that you just have to take slow. I have ridden this road on both a step-through scooter as well as two-up on a dual sport. Great views along the way although a bit dull once past Mae Win.