Paypal Thailand Currency Conversion Rates

Has anyone tried to get funds into Thailand via paypal? I just found out my US bank has been charging me 3% without itemizing the charge on my statements. Bastards. Man I hate the states. The insatable greed.

I tried setting up a Charles Schwab account with free Atm and no hidden international transaction fees but the IP address of my computer fouled that up.

Has anyone had experience with the US paypal account to the Thai paypal account to the Thai bank approach?

Merry Christmas to all walking ATM's.

It takes a long time for the funds to get to the Thai Pay Pal account and even longer for it to transfer from Pay Pal to a Thai bank. It can be only a week, but can take up to two. I got a Pay Pal debit card so I can take cash out of Pay Pal from an ATM. You can add funds to your account easily with a Greendot card. You can put up to $1000 on one card. They can be bought at WalMart for $5. The cash is instantly available from an ATM in Thailand if you tell Pay Pal you are here. Aon ATMs don't charge a fee so it's the most affordable way for me to move under a thousand dollars. It's not the cheapest way to move big money around, but I'm guessing you aren't if you are using Pay Pal. If you are in LOS someone in the States can put the cash on a card and send you the card's code in an email.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you hate the States so much, why are you using PayPal or, I assume, Ebay, or a bank?

Why are you using the internet?

Like it or not these are part of life's necessities now.

Remember those good old days when money transfers took two weeks or more?

Would you give up the mobile phone? Banks have a lot of money to recover from 2008 and we'll pay it!

If you hate the States so much, why are you using PayPal or, I assume, Ebay, or a bank?

I am using the internet now so I guess I only thought I had an extreme dislike for corporate greed in America. So what state are you from? And thanks for the internet and all technology, and the banks! Do you think we would have electricity yet, I mean without you Americans?

It takes a long time for the funds to get to the Thai Pay Pal account and even longer for it to transfer from Pay Pal to a Thai bank. It can be only a week, but can take up to two. I got a Pay Pal debit card so I can take cash out of Pay Pal from an ATM. You can add funds to your account easily with a Greendot card. You can put up to $1000 on one card. They can be bought at WalMart for $5. The cash is instantly available from an ATM in Thailand if you tell Pay Pal you are here. Aon ATMs don't charge a fee so it's the most affordable way for me to move under a thousand dollars. It's not the cheapest way to move big money around, but I'm guessing you aren't if you are using Pay Pal. If you are in LOS someone in the States can put the cash on a card and send you the card's code in an email.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. What is a Aon ATM? And I have heard the PP nics is customers on the conversion rate 2.5%? Again many thanks.

I am using the internet now so I guess I only thought I had an extreme dislike for corporate greed in America. So what state are you from? And thanks for the internet and all technology, and the banks! Do you think we would have electricity yet, I mean without you Americans?

No , I don't think any of us would have electricity without Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse, or nuclear reactors or some other type of power generation.

If the internet shut down in the US today it would shut down world wide. If one were to remove even one of the important US inventions from a computer - anything from hardware to software it wouldn't function.

There would be no personal computer, no internet, and no electricity to run it.

I just wish the US haters would stop using all things invented, built or maintained by the US to stop being hypocrites.

My father and so many like him should have stayed out of Europe during WWII and might have if he'd foreseen the hate. He's alive and tells me that. He was at Normandy. He says that they should simply have left Great Britain to speak German and do the goose step today.

It's an ATM that doesn't charge 150 baht to get cash with a debit card. There's an entire thread about them somewhere.

They ALL take something for converting your money. Even if you bring cash here you don't get the exact exchange rate. If you are only talking about a few thousand dollars they take a bigger percent. If you move large amounts of money the rate is better (I don't about that because I don't have large amounts of money). What I do know is Pay Pal is very slow. I'll take some cash out tomorrow and see how much they take.

To set up an account with Schwab or any other financial institution in the States, you need a physical address in the States. This is because of the euphemistically named "Patriot Act." If you have a physical address you can use (and call it your own) whether it be friend or relative, you can set up a Schwab account. Schwab doesn't care where you actually are or what your IP address is, so long as Patriot Act requirements are met. This would include sending paper to your designated US physical address, having friend/relative forward it to you (could be done by scan and e-mail), and your completion and return of the forms to Schwab.

Yeah, its a hassle and takes some dome, but worthwhile for the long haul. It's just the way it is today.

And as an American, I have to comment to Neversure. The hatred for America is not for the American people, nor is it for America's inventions nor the marvelous things it has given the world. The hatred is for what it has become. The Patriot Act for example, many parts of which are an affront to the Bill of Rights. The takeover by Big Business, which has turned politics into a big money game for the rich, people like Romney. Also the constant US meddling. The untempered support of Israel, which runs a gulag in Palestine. The so called hatred for America has been earned. It needs to be turned around.

I am an American and while I love America, I hate what has happened to my country. It makes me feel angry and bitter. It is one of the reasons I am here. I don't really know if it is better here or not, since I often don't even know what's going on. Perhaps I am just like the ostrich with his head in a hole. All I know for sure is that I feel a lot better here, not having my face slapped daily by the deterioration of the US. I was uptight and stressed in the States. Here, I am content.

Edited by BigBabyJesus

To set up an account with Schwab or any other financial institution in the States, you need a physical address in the States. This is because of the euphemistically named "Patriot Act." If you have a physical address you can use (and call it your own) whether it be friend or relative, you can set up a Schwab account. Schwab doesn't care where you actually are or what your IP address is, so long as Patriot Act requirements are met. This would include sending paper to your designated US physical address, having friend/relative forward it to you (could be done by scan and e-mail), and your completion and return of the forms to Schwab.

Yeah, its a hassle and takes some dome, but worthwhile for the long haul. It's just the way it is today.

And as an American, I have to comment to Neversure. The hatred for America is not for the American people, nor is it for America's inventions nor the marvelous things it has given the world. The hatred is for what it has become. The Patriot Act for example, many parts of which are an affront to the Bill of Rights. The takeover by Big Business, which has turned politics into a big money game for the rich, people like Romney. Also the constant US meddling. The untempered support of Israel, which runs a gulag in Palestine. The so called hatred for America has been earned. It needs to be turned around.

I am an American and while I love America, I hate what has happened to my country. It makes me feel angry and bitter. It is one of the reasons I am here. I don't really know if it is better here or not, since I often don't even know what's going on. Perhaps I am just like the ostrich with his head in a hole. All I know for sure is that I feel a lot better here, not having my face slapped daily by the deterioration of the US. I was uptight and stressed in the States. Here, I am content.

So you left. Does that stop you from accepting any money from the government that you "hate what it has become?"

I didn't think so.

I use PayPal all the time. Inpayments are instant but there is a transaction charge, however if you specify at the time of the inpayment that it is a personal payment and not for goods or services then the charge is much lower.

The problem is getting the oney into the Thai bank. This always takes about 5 working days and there is always the chance that PayPal will decide to freeze your account and then it's at least 6 months before you can get any of your money! Happened to me once a few years ago. Also happened to a couple of friends of mine and the internet is full of stories from people who it has also happened to. Problem is they will never tell you why they froze your account!

Chris

It's an ATM that doesn't charge 150 baht to get cash with a debit card. There's an entire thread about them somewhere.

They ALL take something for converting your money. Even if you bring cash here you don't get the exact exchange rate. If you are only talking about a few thousand dollars they take a bigger percent. If you move large amounts of money the rate is better (I don't about that because I don't have large amounts of money). What I do know is Pay Pal is very slow. I'll take some cash out tomorrow and see how much they take.

That is so cool of you to go out of your way to do that. I see I can apply for a debit card at the paypal site. I am eager to hear what you find out.

I use PayPal all the time. Inpayments are instant but there is a transaction charge, however if you specify at the time of the inpayment that it is a personal payment and not for goods or services then the charge is much lower.

The problem is getting the oney into the Thai bank. This always takes about 5 working days and there is always the chance that PayPal will decide to freeze your account and then it's at least 6 months before you can get any of your money! Happened to me once a few years ago. Also happened to a couple of friends of mine and the internet is full of stories from people who it has also happened to. Problem is they will never tell you why they froze your account!

Chris

Thanks Chris. Very informative. I was wondering about personal option just today. That is scary about the month freeze. Giving you a little bit of the old "Great Oz" treatment. Sometimes i have let quit a chunk build up in there. Good to know. Seems they would be required by law to provide a reason. Heck thats a free 6 month CD for them.

Cheers

Daniel

Earlier this year, Paypal did a deal with moneygram so you can withdraw and deposit funds to/from a paypal account at any moneygram outlet. As moneygram is often used to transfer relatively small amounts, you may get a better deal with them than you would transferring to a bank. also, you would get the money instantly.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of the Schwabbie account but then got discouraged and was looking for a path of less resistance. Good to know it can be done and I will begin the process tomorrow.

And I also wanted to thank you for speaking out on my behalf.

But especially I wanted to apologise too any Britts that might read this thread. Whenever anyone lashes out at me my immediate instinct is to charm them into further assonizing themselves but i had no idea my fellow American would meltdown and take off on the United Kingdom of all peoples. If this guy hates Brittian so much why is he speaking English?? I am certain that I speak for most Americans, vets or otherwise, in that we like you. You are our by FAR our closest alley. Heck, most of us ARE you. I wish every chap on the planet a happy and best of New Years!

Neversure, i am sorry I offended you and your father is a great, great, man.

Most banks in the US (and probably elsewhere) are doing this now. See if you can set up a link from your bank to a Bangkok Bank account here via their NYC branch without making an international transfer - then you can get your money with a three day waiting period, for about 1/2 satang less than the foreign exchange rate for that day. Mine works fine that way.

BECAUSE WE HAVE NO CHOICE !!!

Until more jewish open a concurrent company to Paypal !!! This is incredible that only Paypal proposes this service in this world.

If the internet shut down in the US today it would shut down world wide.

I think you need to do a bit of research into the fundamentals of the "internet".

For example if every ISP in the USA decided to cut all their cables at once, we in Thailand would have no problem accessing Thaivisa.com which is hosted in Singapore.

I googled "Paypal Exchange Rate" and got this PayPal link identifying their exchange rate method and transaction fee (i.e., 2.5% of a wholesale rate). Link Don't know if the receiving Thai bank would also apply their typical 0.25% (200 baht min, 500 baht max) receipt/conversion fee for incoming money (whether in baht or foriegn currency).

Edited by Pib

No , I don't think any of us would have electricity without Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse, or nuclear reactors or some other type of power generation.

If the internet shut down in the US today it would shut down world wide. If one were to remove even one of the important US inventions from a computer - anything from hardware to software it wouldn't function.

There would be no personal computer, no internet, and no electricity to run it.

I just wish the US haters would stop using all things invented, built or maintained by the US to stop being hypocrites.

My father and so many like him should have stayed out of Europe during WWII and might have if he'd foreseen the hate. He's alive and tells me that. He was at Normandy. He says that they should simply have left Great Britain to speak German and do the goose step today.

um those were all invented by the English , along with the language you use despite is basterdisation