Pak Bung! ปาก บุ่ง Everything Question

Quest45

Hi there, thank you for reading. I think everyone here has tasted a dish of Pak Bung yes?? Well I am curious to know what the local price of Pak Bung seeds are. Are Pak Bung seeds raised in Thailand? I would love to learn anything and everything anybody knows about Pak Bung in Thailand. I am in love with this plant.

I can't say that I have noticed morning glory seeds in my local farming supply shops. Possibly because I have never looked for them. If they have them, I would expect them to be 10 or 20 Baht for a packet.

I do believe that I have seen ornamental variety morning glory seeds in Tesco. They are more expensive at about 30 Baht. I'm not sure whether these are edible or not. In the UK, morning glory is classified as a poisonous plant.

Morning glory grows like a weed. Very easy to propogate by planting a section and keeping it well watered. You can simply drop it into some water and it will grow. Most of the morning glory that I grow goes on the compost heap.

Asking for morning glory seeds is going to lead to confusion. The decorative variety (Ipomoea violacea, I have seeds if any one wants) is definitely not eatable, although apparently some people smoked the seeds in the '60s. We just finished a small plot of Pak Bung, Ipomoea aquatica, which we sowed in good soil. Sowing to cultivation: about two weeks. So yes, seeds to be found easily enough, at least around Buriram.

Definitely a bowel loosener, so don't overdo it. Pak Bung grows just about everywhere at the side of the roads here where there is standing water.

Edited by cooked

Morning Glory (Ipomoea violacea) seeds

Morning Glory "Flying Saucers" (Ipomoea violacea) is a tropical vine that has beautiful blue flowers. The seeds contain ergine (LSA) which is said to have a similar effect to the illegal drug LSD. Morning Glory is also used to strongly increase the visual effects of Magic Mushrooms. The effects last for 6 up to 10 hours.

Ipomoea Aquatica is the edible variety ,grows wild all around and in our ponds.

Edited by ozzydom