Yearly Extension Based On Marriage With Thai Spouse - Residence Certificate From Consulate Needed?

robertmueller

Could someone who made lately the yearly extension based on marriage with Thai spouse give me please an advice.

During my last visit at CNX immigration early this year for my yearly extension the lady officer destroyed the original residence certificate from the consulate and said that I don't need this as I am married with a Thai citizen. The year before they took the residence certificate from the consulate.

She told me that the residence certificate is "only" needed for the old persons regarding retirement.

The answer to Question 17 on the FAQ http://chiangmaiimm....tions-faq-.html does not list a residence certificate.

I called last week the immigration office four times for further clarifications but all four times my calls (in English) were put through / redirected several times to the "lost space".

So I went there myself personally and asked the trainee if she could get a final answer if I need to bring the certificate this year. The trainee said without asking someone that I need to bring it.

Finally my wife called (in Thai) and asked the same question and she was told that I don't need to bring the residence certificate.

Everything clear?!

Did you need to submit the residence certificate from your consulate based on marriage with Thai spouse this year at CNX immigration (NOT for old persons regarding retirement)?

Your clarification is most welcome as I don't want to spend some B1000 for nothing (real cheap charlie and/or my wife already saw some pair of shoes at Charles&Keith!!!!).

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Rob

Applied for the same type of extension earlier this month. Never needed a 'certificate of residence' or even asked for that in the past many years.. Maybe there is a mix up with understanding of papers required ? Although we All know through hard experience that individual officers interprete the rules in many different ways.

// edit // just as a point of clarification my wife supplies her Tabian Baan and that's where I live. Perhaps that might be considered my place of residence ??

Went through the process last month and it was not asked for, however the usual games were in play. First they asked for a document that has never been required, which I instantly produced from my "Every Document that has Related to My Life Since Childbirth" Folder. This was not well received at all so they attended to other paperwork of some sort for 15 minutes or so, then started with me again. Last time the officer filled in my form wrong so I had to go back a week later and sign a new one, this time was a classic, my nationality was cited as Chinese wacko.png , my partner who had been on the lookout this time pointed out the error and had it corrected, with little enthusiasm, if not I would have been called back to resign again.

As married to a Thai national and applying for an extension of stay based on that you are supposed to be living with your spouse. As a result, immirgation want to see the household registration of your spouse, the addres determining where you have to apply for the extension.

Many peope of course don't live at the place they are registered, Normally that is OK, as long as you provide proof (such as a rental contract) where you really live. In such case a certificte of residence might be OK, but I'm not sure about the peculiars of CM-immigration.

If you have a Yellow Book (Tabian Baan) , that is more than enough to keep them happy; providing of course that it shows the same address as your wife ! If you don't have one and you are married here then I suggest you get one as it opens a lot of doors quicker and gives you a smoother ride all round. However; I don't think it's in the rules that you need a residence certificate for marriage extension but if you post on the VIsa forum I'm absolutely sure the boys there will give you the whole thing chapter and verse.

Went through the process last month and it was not asked for, however the usual games were in play. First they asked for a document that has never been required, which I instantly produced from my "Every Document that has Related to My Life Since Childbirth" Folder. This was not well received at all so they attended to other paperwork of some sort for 15 minutes or so, then started with me again. Last time the officer filled in my form wrong so I had to go back a week later and sign a new one, this time was a classic, my nationality was cited as Chinese wacko.png , my partner who had been on the lookout this time pointed out the error and had it corrected, with little enthusiasm, if not I would have been called back to resign again.

I read the above post with amusement. I, too, keep an "Everything They Could Possible Ask for Folder." So when they ask for some new thing never required in the past, I smile, crack open my binder and pull it out. Maybe it is my imagination, but this seems to annoy them. It is as if there is a rel desire to cause me to have to go get something, or come back again. It truly seems to be a game, and I actually kind of enjoy matching wits.

On my last extension, they won the game. I had my bank letter , dated same day, and my passbook showing a 400K deposit that had been untouched for more than two months. Since the balance had been untouched, the bank computer could not "update" the book. So immigration made me take the passbook to the bank, deposit 100 baht, then get the book "updated" to prove that the balance had really been there for two months. It was annoying, but I just laughed and said, "Touche'." I got my kicks by, instead of depositing 100 baht, I made a withdrawal, taking the balance down to exactly 400K. This obviously annoyed the officer who told my wife I was playing a dangerous game. I just smiled. Next time, of course, I'll be sure to have a same day stamp in the passbook in addition to the letter.

I did mine based on marrage last month . Although I dont have a yellow book with my name in it I always have to provide a current copy of my lease . This has been required every year for the past three years . Plus the pictures standing in front of the house showing the house numbers ..... We also bring a copy of my wifes house registration which shows her name change .... Oh and the map too

I read the above post with amusement. I, too, keep an "Everything They Could Possible Ask for Folder." So when they ask for some new thing never required in the past, I smile, crack open my binder and pull it out. Maybe it is my imagination, but this seems to annoy them. It is as if there is a rel desire to cause me to have to go get something, or come back again. It truly seems to be a game, and I actually kind of enjoy matching wits.

On my last extension, they won the game. I had my bank letter , dated same day, and my passbook showing a 400K deposit that had been untouched for more than two months. Since the balance had been untouched, the bank computer could not "update" the book. So immigration made me take the passbook to the bank, deposit 100 baht, then get the book "updated" to prove that the balance had really been there for two months. It was annoying, but I just laughed and said, "Touche'." I got my kicks by, instead of depositing 100 baht, I made a withdrawal, taking the balance down to exactly 400K. This obviously annoyed the officer who told my wife I was playing a dangerous game. I just smiled. Next time, of course, I'll be sure to have a same day stamp in the passbook in addition to the letter.

Yeah they got me on that one two trips back, refused to accept the bank letter from the day before (?) until I updated my book yet again that day which sent me to Airport Plaza. These are obviously very sad and twisted individuals with pathethic lives, whose only joy is creating headaches for other people. I suspect their ascension to Nirvanna may be quite a few lives away yet assuming they don't enjoy an extended stay at the warmer place for stealing, lying and corruption.