Etiquette When Visiting A Thai Family

advancebooking

I write to ask advice regarding my imminent visit to an admirer in Chang Rai.

I was lucky enough to meet a lovely Thai girl through her family business (near Bangkok) and I have been visiting nearly everyday (the family business) more or less to see her. Its been a month now of me being nice and taking things slow.

A week ago she flew to Chang Rai to be with her mother and we have been speaking on the phone sometimes. Last night I had drinks with her sister and brother at a party and today she called me suggesting I visit her in Chang Rai and perhaps meet her family.

She is 100% not a ‘pay for play’ girl and I can tell that she’s from a good family. They all speak fairly good English and I can only assume the family has money and that they are all educated- including my love interest.

The question I have is basically whether or not I should arrive with a present for her parents?

I think that I will be staying in a hotel and not at their place as nothing romantic has (yet) happened with the girl. If I’m in Chang Rai a while, and they invite me to stay, should I be offering them some money or another present before leaving? What sort of present should I give?

Any other general advice would be much appreciated. When I greet them with a wai and a smile are there any other things I should do or consider to show the uttermost respect to her parents. I obviously want to make a good impression.

Many thanks

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Dave48 and i have something to add:

I do not know everything about your situation but you are free to choose to sleep in a hotel. But if you really feel comfortable with her, if i was you, i would spend the night in their house. Be sure you mention this before your arrival. Talk about it first with her and get a feel of what she thinks about this. Do not ask this directly.

Etiquette way i could be considered an offence if you slept in a hotel.

Presents is a whole other ballpark...

Take care of your personal representation first. You have to show yourself first and this first meeting will be important.

Good luck

• Like 1

I'd suggest that you pay heed to David48 and Dancealot, as their advice is sound..... (You will no doubt have already discounted the other two amateur urologists coffee1.gif ) ......... Maybe you could also trawl the internet for "thai etiquette", as there are a number of useful pages to be found. Yes, thais have some different ways to our own countries, but polite and respectful behaviour together with a smile never go amiss.

Good luck!

• Like 1

This will be a fun thread to follow. Looks like we already have one poster with issues rolleyes.gif

To the OP, just relax, smile, be yourself, don't refuse any food or drink offered........

Gifts are not expected and if your good lady tells you differently, it may be time to rethink the relationship.

David48 and dancealot have some good advice.

• Like 2

A year from now I expect to be reading about this in the "divorce in Thailand" forum. The OP will be posting from his home country because he will be broke.

For anyone contemplating a serious relationship in LOS, I would first spend at least one whole day reading threads in that forum. Even if a relationship works out well, it still has all of the "do's and don't's" of relationships in Thailand.

Going to meet the parents is a BIG deal in her eyes and I would be in no hurry.

$.02

• Like 1

I'd suggest that you pay heed to David48 and Dancealot, as their advice is sound..... (You will no doubt have already discounted the other two amateur urologists coffee1.gif ) ......... Maybe you could also trawl the internet for "thai etiquette", as there are a number of useful pages to be found. Yes, thais have some different ways to our own countries, but polite and respectful behaviour together with a smile never go amiss.

Good luck!

My point is just turn up and behave but with a little added humour (maybe not funny but hey).

I have visited family on a couple of occasions and I act like I would in the West. No need for gifts, dress smart and behave.

A year from now I expect to be reading about this in the "divorce in Thailand" forum. The OP will be posting from his home country because he will be broke.

For anyone contemplating a serious relationship in LOS, I would first spend at least one whole day reading threads in that forum. Even if a relationship works out well, it still has all of the "do's and don't's" of relationships in Thailand.

Going to meet the parents is a BIG deal in her eyes and I would be in no hurry.

$.02

Grumpy arent we. Im happy as are many others.

No gifts required and no need to offer money either. It's just a social call at this juncture. Regarding the home or hotel issue, prepare for both eventualities. That way nobody will be surprised, put out or embarassed with whatever eventually transpires in that regard.

Have a nice trip.

Indeed dont be extravagant. Do not present yourself in a way to try to look good. Everyone will see if you are acting or not.

Also everyone will notice if you try to buy your way into the family. This is just 'not done'.wai.gif

Be yourself at the familythumbsup.gif

How would you do in the West? You'd give a chocolate box and bouquet of flowers, right? Well, you can do the same as they are still human beings, right?

Just be yourself and ask your partner if you need more info about her parents as she might know more about them than we do. Act normally but don't worry I'm pretty sure she told them where you are from. So, if you don't know much at least you will have an additional excuse factor. really don't worry because they won't post any comment on any blog to ask how to act with you!!!

Well this being Thailand the Thais have perfected this as an artform, go to any Big C or Tesco/Lotus and buy one of those gift baskets that are all over the place just now, prices start from 1,000 baht and upwards.

If you really want to ingratiate yourself, a gift box of Brand chicken soup.