Who Should Sponsor My Wife's Son

Hi

My Thai wife has recently been granted ILR to stay in the UK and we are soon to be going to Thailand to apply for a visa to bring her 8 year old son to the UK.

My question is as follows. Who should be his sponsor on the application forms (vaf4a and vaf4a appendix 1)

My thinking is that I should be his sponsor given that his natural father is dead and that I own the property that he will be living in along with myself and his mother. Also his mother does not work at present and I provide the finances required to meet the current regulations (without recourse to public funds) and I also assume that I would need to sign the sponsorship undertaking form.

Thanking all responders in anticipation.

Tibap biggrin.png

When we brought my wifes 2 sons over in 2011 my wife went as sponsor but then we were advised to change it and i went as sponsor by the agent we used in thailand, if it would help i would show you a copy of the letter?, i didnt sign the form though because we were both here in the uk and had to use an agent as i say so they did the form for us.

Edited by tigerjohn

Thanks for the offer Tigerjohn I don't know if the rules in 2011 were as stringent with regards the financial side as they are now, I will wait to see if there are any other views and maybe take you up on your offer.

PS. Did your wife have her own finances when she sponsored and how much financial information did the old rules require ?

You or your wife can be sponsor, even though you are providing the financial support and accommodation.

As your wife has ILR the financial side is fairly straightforward; you simply have to show that you can support and accommodate him without recourse to public funds.

You may find UK Settlement Visa Basics helpful.

If you are thinking of using an agent, have a read of Visa Agents first.

The only two agents I have confidence in are Visas Plus and Thai Visa Express; they are both experienced and competent. Which unfortunately cannot be said of all agencies run by Brits, no matter how professional their websites may look or where they may advertise!

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback 7by7 and having successfully submitted my wife's previous family visit and settlement visas I feel confident enough to tackle this one.

However the guidelines given with the (vaf4a and vaf4a appendix 1) forms are a bit vague on what paperwork should be submitted with the applications.

Currently I intend to submit all the financial information, proof of accommodation, records of financial support and telephone contact, my stepson's passport, birth certificate, and his late fathers death certificate.

I assume that I will have to also submit my and my wife's passport ? and do I also need to submit her birth certificate, or any other information such as photographs of previous visits to see her son etc ?

Thanks for any further advice.

I suggest:

• Last 6 months pay slips and bank statements, or if self employed last years certified accounts or SA return and last 6 months bank statements. Include all statements, not just current account.
  • Proof of home ownership, such as a mortgage statement or copy of the deeds, if you own or a letter from your landlord giving permission for the boy to live in the property if you rent. In your sponsor's letter describe the property to show there is room for him.
  • Copy of your and your wife's passports to show your and her status in the UK and how often you and she have visited him in Thailand. Each page of each copy should be certified with "I certify that this is a true copy of passport number 123456" and signed and dated. You certify yours, your wife certifies hers.
  • His birth certificate; original and English translation. The translation should be done by a recognised translation agency and certified by them.
  • Evidence of all monies sent to his current carers for his support.
  • Evidence of all contact between your wife and him and his current carers. Photographs of them together are not essential, but wont hurt.
  • As his natural father is dead, then his death certificate will help. Original translation as per the boy's birth certifiacte.
  • Your wife's birth certificate and your marriage certificate are not really necessary. His birth certificate will show she is his mother, and her passport will show that she is your wife and has ILR. However, if her name is now different to that on his birth certificate then your marriage certificate will help to show that she is the same person. Original and translation as above.
  • Sponsors letter briefly outlining the accomodation etc. available to him once in the UK and explaining why he has not applied to live in the Uk with his mother before and why he is doing so now.

Remember to supply original documents, except for your and your wife's passports, plus copies. If you don't supply copies you may not get the originals back!

Whilst I am a great believer that it is better to supply something they don't want than to miss something they do; try not to swamp them with too much paperwork.

Finally, it is probable that his current carers will be telephoned by the entry clearance office and briefly interviewed. You should tell of this; but also say not to worry. The interview will be conducted in Thai and is basically just to check a few things. If everyone tells the truth there is nothing to worry about.