Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

Lockheed AC-130 - I'm saying AC-130 as it looks like the ground-attack variant of the C-130

Bit difficult to see the visible parts which would identify it from this shot on the screen I'm using - but if its the AC-130 they have modified fuselage to house Bushmaster cannon, and the bulging modified fuselage looks to be there....

^^ Yeh ... what he said ... w00t.gif

I reckon you guys have forgotten more about planes then I will every know ... wai.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lockheed AC-130 - I'm saying AC-130 as it looks like the ground-attack variant of the C-130

Bit difficult to see the visible parts which would identify it from this shot on the screen I'm using - but if its the AC-130 they have modified fuselage to house Bushmaster cannon, and the bulging modified fuselage looks to be there....

^^ Yeh ... what he said ... w00t.gif

I reckon you guys have forgotten more about planes then I will every know ... wai.gif

Trying my hardest to forget about aviation. I don't know what it is, but aviation companies are the biggest <deleted> around. The regulators are no better.

It's undeniably a Lockheed C-130 Hercules. However, I am relatively sure this is not a ground attack version.

This particular Herc is an RCAF and I believe all of the Canadian Hercs are cargo intended. We have specialized military haulage here; The Polar Bear Brigade; SEAL Hunt Six, etc.

It may be more accurate to label it a version as a opposed to a variant. I will leave it for another day to see if someone comes up with it.

David48,

Malaysian Airlines 737-800 in a retro livery...

Not much apparently gets past GrantSmith ... thumbsup.gif

Indeed a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 737-8H6(WL)

Rego:- 9M-MXA

Malaysia Airlines

(Kuala Lumpur) yesterday (December 12) revealed one of its aircraft

with the original livery it featured on October 1, 1972, to commemorate

its 40 years of Malaysian Hospitality delivery to air travellers. The

Malaysia Airlines’ Boeing 737-800 was re-painted in full colors of the

first ever aircraft that took to the skies four decades ago.

Here

post-104736-0-97390400-1363318838_thumb.

post-104736-0-00969600-1363318846_thumb.

post-104736-0-92485900-1363318851_thumb.

post-104736-0-38960400-1363318860_thumb.

post-104736-0-22032500-1363318864_thumb.

post-104736-0-97193100-1363318866_thumb.

It's undeniably a Lockheed C-130 Hercules. However, I am relatively sure this is not a ground attack version.

This particular Herc is an RCAF and I believe all of the Canadian Hercs are cargo intended. We have specialized military haulage here; The Polar Bear Brigade; SEAL Hunt Six, etc.

It may be more accurate to label it a version as a opposed to a variant. I will leave it for another day to see if someone comes up with it.

Currently still in production, this model is the C130J Super Hercules. It is identifiable by the scimitar (curved) propeller blades.

And courtesy of Wikipedia, here is the real deal Malaysian Airline System (as it was known then) Boeing 737-200 circa 1972.

I loved the older style which, like the car of their day, had all the nice shiny chrome.

ere tis.....easy one to start....

attachicon.gifheli.jpg

I finally get to play.

My guess is a Bell 47

The only reason I say that (as I know next to naught about helicopters) is because my best mate at school worked for a company called HeliMuster

vrd.jpg

and his job was to bring the cattle into a waterhole within 1 days ride of the station.

He worked on Victoria River Downs, Halls Creek

5018157-For_now_enjoy_associated_video_c

... then, the largest cattle station in Australia ... roughly the size of England (not the UK ... but England). The station was owned then by the richest woman in Australia (then), Janet Holmes à Court

Victoria River Downs was much to vast to muster by either horse or bike, so my mate would locate the cattle and rally them towards the camping spot for the night. The spot would always have water so the cattle would not wander.

He said that while he was mustering, occasionally he would have to 'drop' a bull as the untamed bull would try and lead the others astray.

I remember a photo of the helicopter he sent me and it was similar to the one posted.

At the time he was pissed because he had taken the engine past it's predetermined rev limit and either he would cop big flack from the the Boss or he would have to pay to have the engine rebuilt.

Can we put helicopters up ?

??

How about we trial one and see what the response is?

So diddums ... over to you ... show us what you've got.

ere tis.....easy one to start....

attachicon.gifheli.jpg

Try it again. Hughes 269 / Osage

Pretty much...

More commonly called Hughes 300.......from memory this one was a 'c' model....H300c.

Nasty piece of work to land on a bitumen or concrete surface.

David, you friends form along time ago would have been working at Helimuster when JW owned and ran it. Love him or hate him, he is without a doubt a legend in the Oz heli industry.

My mate worked there (Helimuster) in the early 80's

Like many rookie pilots ... did his hours then, after a few years moved onto more mundane jobs.

One of his jobs (while at Helimuster) was guarding the diamond mines. Sounds really spy type stuff ... but not really.

The diamond mines are located on the Hamersley Range and in the wet season his job was to spot campsites from illegal prospectors.

KR12.jpg

Hi David, thanks for inviting me to this intriguing thread after you saw my lament about Nokair's mothballing the Yak 7 on the BKK to NP route in favour of an unusually large 737-800.

I have been spoilt during my lifetime because I have seen a long lifespan of aircraft in a wide range of circumstances. I grew up in SE London and saw the oldies flying into LHW during the 1960s and 70s. During my service I flew all over the World and called in everywhere there was a British embassy or legation as bagman. I served in HK so enjoyed (change underwear) the Kai Tak and then foolishly lived in a high rise and waved down to the Jumbos as they kicked right round my building. In the early 80's I worked at Brentford directly under the LHW flightline. Finally, before moving to sleepy Frome in Somerset ( no -one told me about the intensive military flying serving troop training on nearby Salisbury Plain I lived on the Perimeter of LHW ATC at Maidenhead and had every one of the World's airlines turn onto approach line over the top of me. Concorde is still the ultimate turn on. Serving in a "funny" outfit Brixmis in East Germany we had the unique pleasure of discovering the Mig 29 that just happened to be skulking inside a hanger without having locked the door - naughty Russians.

It is obvious I have nothing wrong with my distant memory as all the oldies sprung to mind instantly and still thrill at seeing the beautiful VC10. I have to look up all the modern kites as like modern cars they all look alike.

I will be living in Nakhon Phanom so will see little except that from the local airfield and the RTNAS, unless I go over the Friendship Bridge 3 into central Laos and snoop around in the side valleys.

Would you mind if I put up an occasional aircraft for your wizard anoraks?

Best wishes all.

Stephen

Would you mind if I put up an occasional aircraft for your wizard anoraks?

Best wishes all.

Stephen

Hi there Stephen ... mate we would love if you posted here.

I have still a few left in the kitbag to post ... but we always welcome new blood and new challenge Aircraft.

I'm sure the readers of this post would appreciate a wider range of aircraft to spot (old or new) ... and it makes it also a bit of fun for me as I can then (wrongly) guess them.

No set format ... just wack the post up.