Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for the poor photo.

Looks like a Shorts of some sort..

not built in Ireland, I think but am not sure these ones were built in Indonesia.

I see them parked up and sometimes flying about CNX (photo was taken at CNX on Sunday). The Thai military also has some dressed up in full camo which I've also seen parked up at CNX from time to time.

That jet is a Challenger 300, built in Canada by Bombardier (or what ever they call them selves this week! )

It is transcontinental, but only has half the range of the Global, which has an insane range and comply different family to the very popular 604.

The other pic is of Casa 212's (not sure which series -400 is the common one these days) The department of Ag uses them I think.

There is a decent fleet of about 10 Dornier228's operated by one of the military or security departments to do maritime surveillance, you see them with the big pod under them for the radar and other senses. Sollar air run the same type DMK to Pattaya, they are noisy dam_n things to sit in. http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/10/flying-bangkok-to-pattaya-by-solar-air/

PS: Thanks Anguild and Dickeynee thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

The other pic is of Casa 212's (not sure which series -400 is the common one these days) The department of Ag uses them I think.

i wasn't sure if they were 300 or 400 series. 300 all being built in Indo under contract (and the latest 400s), most 400 like the 100 and 200 built in Spain. they definitely aren't 100 or 200 series, the nose isn't so pointy on those. 300 has the winglets, but I couldn't see and it isn't obvious in the photo. the 400s do have bigger donks but that is even less obvious.

I've been noticing them for the past few years flying overhead during the wet season, the obvious Garret engine sound makes the ears prick up over the normal air traffic.

the army has both 300 and 400 apparently anyways. I think the rainmakers planes are actually army, but i'll stand corrected.

a good aircraft, though they are up there with the twotter for hull loss and loss of life but i recon that isn't a good measure of a good aircraft.

a good aircraft, though they are up there with the twotter for hull loss and loss of life but i recon that isn't a good measure of a good aircraft.

I think the only machine in that class that competes with Twotters for high risk work is the Porter. Most twotters are operating in dodgy mountain strips, skis or on open ocean !!!

You don't here to much about the Casa 212, that is probably a good thing, it just plods along as a reliable work horse.

I am not sure 100%, but the Thai have a rain making department, "Royal Rainmaking Project". I can not remember the details.

FYI I remember that stat from this link:

http://www.destinasian.com/resources/news-briefs/safest-and-most-dangerous-airplanes/

but on returning to the link I think i've distorted the truth a little. It's next down on the list from the twotter, though it is a bit of a step.

An Airport in Holland (somewhere).

KLM

attachicon.gifDAL_5597 KLM.JPG

Unless, you meant the other plane in the photo ... whistling.gif

Shall I reveal the answer?

[edit] rolleyes.gif

So ... is the answer below not correct?

It looks like a 330 / 340

It appears you have taken a touch of Thailand with you, driving on the shoulder out of the lane !!!!!

But there are no bikes to suicide in front of you. giggle.gif

I don't think it is AMS.

I mean, the plane. Does anyone know the carrier?

Hi,

Surinam airlines by any chance.

Nice! Well done. I searched high and low for that livery - wasted a lot of my employer's time (no I didn't - just kidding boss).

Respect clap2.gifand thank you all for participating.

khaosai did it and so fast. He must have flown them before..

This Suriname airlines aircraft has been sitting idle for the past 2 weeks at schiphol.

This weekend I moved my uncle(former KLM staff) to a small city which lies RIGHT under the take-off route. Every 5 minutes a yet comes flying over. Next week I'll bring my cam and will sit in his garden.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot

I don't think it is AMS.

I mean, the plane. Does anyone know the carrier?

Hi,

Surinam airlines by any chance.

Give that man a gold star!

Are you Dutch?

How did you identify it?

Hi,

Not Dutch and never flown with them before, but was sure I had seen the colour scheme when in the states and Europe. Went on google and searched 340 operators flying there and got lucky.