Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK ... couple of questions ...

attachicon.gifP9190065 LR.JPG

There is appears to a film on the windshield which is apparent by the colouration.

Any ideas what it is?

Gold, I am serious.

Grant Smith is also on th money, I am not sure which component causes this in these pic though. More and more filters are working their way into these fleets trying to combat the radiation at altitude. Much of it goes straight therough metal, but UV is becommng a huge issue with crew getting skin cancers.

Edited, can't spell

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

attachicon.gifP9190091 LR.JPG

What sort of tyre pressure do these planes run?

Obviously there are tolerances judging by the profile of these two tyres ... rolleyes.gif

A320

Nose Wheel 178 min 187 max PSI

Main Wheels 210 / 220 PSI

They are filled with nitrogen normally. There are other "air" mixtures but nitrogen is cheap and dry, it is all about dry-ness I believe. It is commonly -54'c up top, and moisture in ya Dunlops at those temps appartently do funny things.

Out of interest, the weight of the plane, or even its tire preasurs is not the restricing factor at most airports, it is the combination and including how many tires there are to spreed the weight over.

One of the "common" worst offenders around here in the civil jets is the B777. A 777 will rip up a taxi way way beofre a A380 or B747 will all things being the same at gross weight. (Max Allowed Weight) But many times, with their wicked range they are no where near that weight.

THAI or Singapore Airlines can operate all day in a B777 to Jakarta return (to home base) if they wanted to, but Garuda ordered and now has delivered (or about to) some new sexy B777's for direct flights to Europe, but someone in Garuda didn't think about seeing if the runways (and taxiways) in Jakarta can take them at that weight (full of fuel needed to Europe), so not direct flights as they have been advertising and selling tickets for for the next year or so !!! They are now tearing up the runways and re-building them ( or about to ). What in the Indo term for "Thai-Ness" ?

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Just out of interest, who are the main suppliers of tires for commercial aircraft?

Pirelli are making a pig's ear of F1.

I'm fairly sure that all the major manufacturers have a crack at the aviation market...

Let's not bring Pirelli's competence (or severe lack thereof) of the F1 into this :P

Just out of interest, who are the main suppliers of tires for commercial aircraft?

I'm fairly sure that all the major manufacturers have a crack at the aviation market...

Let's not bring Pirelli's competence (or severe lack thereof) of the F1 into this :P

An alternative to plain air or nitrogen to increase downforce might work though?

Refering to above, I am realy not sure what component makes that oily look. A modern B737 windscreen has 5 layers, outer glass, 3 plastic internal layers and a 5th glass layer inside, (however commonly refered to as 3 layers, glass, plastic, glass). There are many different filters in them now, I don't understand them all though.

These are very expensive, actually extreamly expensive. There are fine gold wires throughout them, that heat it up. Generally at +15'c you switch a low heat on, this is for strength, if iceing is an issue you can make it really hot. It is much stronger warm than cold for strikes etc.

Let's not bring Pirelli's competence (or severe lack thereof) of the F1 into this tongue.png

Yeah, they all have thier fingers in the pie. You also see bizare names, that are appartently "re-treading" compaines. These are typically re-treaded about 15 times thumbsup.gif Mind you, the cost of a retread you could buy several hundread car new car tires !!!

Refering to above, I am realy not sure what component makes that oily look. A modern B737 windscreen has 5 layers, outer glass, 3 plastic internal layers and a 5th glass layer inside, (however commonly refered to as 3 layers, glass, plastic, glass). There are many different filters in them now, I don't understand them all though.

These are very expensive, actually extreamly expensive. There are fine gold wires throughout them, that heat it up. Generally at +15'c you switch a low heat on, this is for strength, if iceing is an issue you can make it really hot. It is much stronger warm than cold for strikes etc.

Transam might find this interesting. Mechanical engineering to produce ultimate flying machines. Fantastic.

Let's not bring Pirelli's competence (or severe lack thereof) of the F1 into this tongue.png

Yeah, they all have thier fingers in the pie. You also see bizare names, that are appartently "re-treading" compaines. These are typically re-treaded about 15 times thumbsup.gif Mind you, the cost of a retread you could buy several hundread car new car tires !!!

China's probably got the retread market sown up?

BTW. My brainwave of ozone filled F1 tires would never fly. Likewise, gold alloy wheels.

Back to the drawing board.

Speaking of the Nordic airline, just rocked up to the Imperial Queens Park for an event and bumped into the crew...

Not a bad looking bunch, a few Olga's but overall an impressive line up..

The uniform? Not so much..

No worries Bruce....just ditch the uniform.

Speaking of the Nordic airline, just rocked up to the Imperial Queens Park for an event and bumped into the crew...

Not a bad looking bunch, a few Olga's but overall an impressive line up..

The uniform? Not so much..

No worries Bruce....just ditch the uniform.

Well.. True.. You're not looking at the mantle piece whilst you're stoking the fire.. But, first impressions tend to be important...

Take SQ for example, that uniform looks great in front of the fire place ;)

Plane Spotting 2 ...

PSP 2 #001

Air new zealand Boeing 777?
Take another twirl on the dance floor, NZ 1. Don't fly to BKK and 2. the 777 doesn't have winglets.

Agreed ... but he had a go ... and that's half the fun ... Posted Image

True indeed and I wasn't trying to be a Rex hunt about it, guess the lack of smiley could have led to that impression.. Sorry gents...

So does a school uniform.

Always gotta go too far SinglePot tongue.png hahaha...

I'd better not point out the irony of B-Mao on Air Macau then.

Sorry gents.

Dont worrie about it, Singlpot,thumbsup.gif.... Grantsmith and David48 meant well.

I like to play this game. Love to investigate and search. While I am at it, I learn a thing or 2 as well from the experts.